HBO/Cinemax Takedown

I guess it’s not surprising with AT&T owning HBO now. Content on a competitor service, yea let’s see what we can charge, and hey if you don’t what there charging for HBO come over to our side for lower price for the same channel. If there is anything we know with Dish they will stand ground.

Like Scott posted in that article, I don't think this is a common contract dispute. I think AT&T just simply pulled the channels - which was my fear when they bought HBO.

Dish is offering free HDNet Movies in the meantime, btw - small pittance, but probably the best they can do

Like Scott posted in that article, I don't think this is a common contract dispute. I think AT&T just simply pulled the channels - which was my fear when they bought HBO.

Dish is offering free HDNet Movies in the meantime, btw - small pittance, but probably the best they can do

And the other thing I noticed - AT&T never had these outrageous ads or websites that said "Dish is going to drop your channels in 2 days - change providers now." It seems Dish knew way in advance what AT&T was going to do with HBO back when they alerted customers the $10 deal was going away and AT&T is fine with it.

It a contract dispute-

The signal for the AT&T-owned channels went dark on satellite distributor Dish and its sister service Sling TV as of midnight Thursday when the two sides could not come to terms on a new distribution agreement, according to Dow Jones Newswires.

AT&T's HBO goes dark due to Dish standoff

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: whitewolf8214
First, Dish Network lost Univision channel, now HBO. The future for DN and cable providers is uncertain. Streaming channels thru online make more difficult to get and keep existing customers for cable and Satellite providers. AT&T needs more custumers to pay to for his channels after they made a mega merge with DirecTV and Time Warner. This is the beginning of the end of pay cable to watch tv.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Saw this coming. ATT can hold HBO over Dish's head as long as they want all while siphoning subscribers from Dish until they bleed to death. The ATT/TW merger should never have happened. More importantly, content distributors should never have been allowed to be content owners due to the inherent conflict of interest/monopoly scenario.

Will we get a credit from Dish until this is resolved? Fifteen dollars a month or 50 cents a day doesn't sound like much. But when you add up all of the subscribers that is a lot of money.

Reactions: truckracer
What is to dispute. It is an a la carte optional channel to any package. Dish has to send HBO a certain amount of money for every subscriber who chooses this optional channel. If HBO wants to raise the price raise it. It is a premium channel available as a la carte, you do not have to get it and can get it elsewhere.

I love corporate greed! F'ed up every thing I like from the food I eat ( if you are old enough to remember when food tasted good and was not full of fake ingredients to make rich shareholders richer) to the TV I watch.
Makes me glad I stole service from both providers years and made a tidy sum of money to boot......let the hating begin!!!

What is to dispute. It is an a la carte optional channel to any package. Dish has to send HBO a certain amount of money for every subscriber who chooses this optional channel. If HBO wants to raise the price raise it. It is a premium channel available as a la carte, you do not have to get it and can get it elsewhere.

According to what I've read AT&T wants to charge DISH for a minimum number of customers whether they subscribe to HBO or not. I'm sure it's a lot more than just raising the price a little. AT&T wants total control over pretty much everything and they're well on their way to getting it.

Per Scott's post, "AT&T is demanding DISH pay for a guaranteed number of subscribers, regardless of how many consumers actually want to subscribe to HBO".

From the article Scott posted...
AT&T is demanding DISH pay for a guaranteed number of subscribers, regardless of how many consumers actually want to subscribe to HBO.
I don't think that's right. I don't think it's right for locals and I don't think it's right for premium channels. If you want a "guaranteed number of subscribers", you agree to be carried in a base package like the ESPNs, Hallmark, Discovery, DIY, etc. Presumably, that should be at a lower cost because you're forcing everyone in that package to pay for it. If you want a higher subscriber cost, then set your rate and let the MVPD pass it along.

ETA: To be fair, we're all assuming that statement in the article is 100% true. I'm not sure if it's a fact, or a claim from Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts