HBO/Cinemax Takedown

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
An article bluegrass posted this morning said there are roughly 2.5 million HBO subs on dish. That is a big cash faucet for at&t, leave it off for a month or 2 and they'll change their tune.

No matter what happens it is not a game changer to switch providers, at least for me anyhow.

Leave if off for a month or two and they will see how many subs they are drawing to Dtv or to HBO direct streaming services and then they will make a business decision.

I agree, I can live without HBO tbh, I can find other ways of watching Westworld or GoT. That's pretty well the only shows currently on HBO that i'm interested in. The stakes will get real high in the Spring of 2019 if it lasts that long when GoT returns, and rumor is Westworld is not returning until 2020. I predict Dish will win.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and joegr
GoT? I will be mad tomorrow night. I can't watch "Real Time". If I had kids, I would be really mad Saturday morning, as there would be no new "Sesame Street" for them.

For Univision, I could use an antenna. That's not possible with HBO. I assume HBO Go is also gone for Dish subscribers or will be soon. This has me furious. I better get a massive discount on my bill.

This isn't like the removal of Fox News or CNN a few years back. This is beyond dumb. It's not like they don't pass the cost on to consumers anyway.

HBO is available for streaming. HBO offers 7 days as a free trial. After that it is $14.99 a month. It is available on the Roku, Fire stick and other streamers. I figure since Dish will not be charging, then getting HBO Now will be fine. I can always drop it when it comes back to Dish.

Reactions: KAB and edisonprime
First, Dish Network lost Univision channel, now HBO. The future for DN and cable providers is uncertain. Streaming channels thru online make more difficult to get and keep existing customers for cable and Satellite providers. AT&T needs more custumers to pay to for his channels after they made a mega merge with DirecTV and Time Warner. This is the beginning of the end of pay cable to watch tv.

With me, I have a Roku as well as the Fire TV. Dish Anywhere is on the Fire TV and many of the apps like HBO, Epix, Starz, have free access if a person has the channel on satellite or cable. I still have my Vip211k without internet access, but with the streaming devices it works.

This is a lose-lose for Dish. If they accept the terms and pass on the rate hikes on to subscribers, they will either lose customers who are having to pay more for HBO than DTV subs do, or lose money having to offer concessions or discounts to keep them. Same goes for the channels being removed. DTV, er, ATT holds all the cards.

HBO Now or HBO through Amazon Prime is $14.99 a month. Cinemax from Prime is $9.99 a month. So, Dish has to stay within that price, otherwise Dish will lose subscribers.

Everyone has excessive fees, one of your main business partners (Comcast) is the worst, Broadcast TV Fee (up to $10.00/mo.), Regional Sports Fee (up to $8.00/mo.) , the X1 $10-20 a month and each extra DVR Box ( slave to the X1) another $10 a month.

That is the main reason I have Vue is the fees, if I still had Comcast it would add roughly $60 ( need 5 boxes) in fees alone a month to my bill which is $10 more then I pay for Vue.

I stay with my one vip211k, as there are no fees with that. I have the outboard HDD and the OTA antenna. A nice mix at the lowest price.

Reactions: pattykay
This is Reuters article stating that AT&T is acussing Dish of working with DOJ to prevent merger. AT&T claims U.S. DOJ is conniving with Dish in HBO distribution row

Sent from my SM-N950U using the SatelliteGuys app!
As they should. AT&T didn't just pull this out of thin air. This had to be the plan from the beginning. The only way for that to be wrong is if another provider (Comcast, Charter, Verizon, etc) already had their carriage agreement expire and renewed. I am willing to bet that such isn't the case, and AT&T was planning this from the beginning. If so, say goodbye to the dominance of HBO. All these providers would be dumb to make guaranteed subscriber agreements to AT&T. So, one by one, HBO and Cinemax goes dark across cable and Dish, then companies like Universal and 20th Century Fox (who's selling to Disney anyway) all leaves HBO for either Showtime, Starz, EPIX, or an internet company like Netflix or Prime. All of a sudden, HBO is left with basically Warner Bros movies, some independent movies, and their original programming, which they won't be able to produce nearly as much, because their revenue will be down. They're the samurai stabbing themselves with their own katana blade. Stupid and greedy if you ask me.

Last edited:
I've always had mixed feelings about Dish disputes. They're frustrating, distracting, and inconvenient. But I'm 100% on the side of Dish on this one. No provider should have to guarantee subscribers. This is ATT socializing a TV channel so that they can pay for freebies they give their own customers.

I know everyone does not have access to high speed internet, mainly because of the cost, as satellite internet is available about everywhere, but it is more expensive. Cel phone internet is available, but it is more too. Satellite TV used to be inexpensive. Now the programmers have demanded so much that the average Dish bill is getting close to $100 a month. I know several that have cut the cord and stream what they want for a lot less. They also do not have to pay for dozens of junk channels they never watch. I have considered it, but we lose our internet from time to time in our rural area.

Reactions: peggy97850
The movies part can be somewhat replaced. In fact if it drags on I would not be surprised to see Showtime (maybe Epix) and DISH come up with a deal. (Though HBO maintains a catalog of some movies not available elsewhere) It's their original programming that is the problem.

Amazon Prime does have a lot of the movies HBO has. But HBO does have original shows like Real Time with Bill Maher. However, Real Time does stream the audio for free. I have the app saved on my wifi radio. That is another option.

I'll sign up for HBO Now to hold us over, but my opinion of AT&T has fallen to a new low over this. Unfortunately, I have recently renewed my AT&T Fiber contract, and the best alternative is Spectrum anyway.

Slightly off topic, but since people are talking about dumping AT&T services, I switched to Cricket for wireless in September, but they are still AT&T at the end of the day. I might consider a Verizon-based prepaid wireless service if I could find one with the right mix of features and price. Most of the one's I've looked at either lack wi-fi calling or cost too much for what you get. T-Mobile will be an option once they improve their rural coverage, but that is still years off in practical terms. We don't need unlimited. 3-5GB/month of usable data per line (don't need 100Mbps. the 8Mbps we get on Cricket is fine). Wi-Fi calling. $70 per month or less for 2 lines. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have Verizon for cel phone service, which has the best coverage around here anyway. AT&T has tried to get me to switch. Not interested, especially what has happened now.

Good morning maybe after everything is fine and over with hbo and cinemax could start adding ultra 4k hd movies to the video on demand section on the dish hopper 3 DVR just an idea this morning

Articles read Dish has 2.5 million HBO and Cinemax customers. If all of them got both and the package tlis 30 a month, that's 75 million a month. That's the maximum and AT&T won't get all that, so we are talking maybe 50 million a month. If they lost that, how much would it hurt AT&T? This seems more like a reputation issue then. Little Dish takes on the Galiath of AT&T. Go dish.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts