HBO/Cinemax Takedown

Well if they want to go up to 25 a month, no wonder they want them to pay for minimum viewership levels. They know how many people would dump it so they want Dish to pay out of their own pocket anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
And if ended up being $25 for HBO and $10 for Cinemax, I definitely would NOT be subbing to it. Cinemax, maybe (if they didn't tie the two together), but definitely not $25.

AT&T is just getting massively greedy. I own/operate a business. I know what the market will support for the products and services we provide. AT&T has an over-inflated opinion of their value to the consumer, and that's being polite...

And if ended up being $25 for HBO and $10 for Cinemax, I definitely would NOT be subbing to it. Cinemax, maybe (if they didn't tie the two together), but definitely not $25.

AT&T is just getting massively greedy. I own/operate a business. I know what the market will support for the products and services we provide. AT&T has an over-inflated opinion of their value to the consumer, and that's being polite...
There is such a thing as setting a price too high. The proper price point balances supply and demand.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Ever been to Columbus, OH??? Good GOD it rains a lot here
There's nothing like a "Pineapple Express" here to give one an appreciation for the word "deluge" and "flood", though I'm sure it does rain there a lot. I remember one fall/winter we had back around '05...it rained everyday for 93 days-in-a-row! They were counting it daily on the morning news/weather. People I worked with at the office (myself included) were grouchy and depressed. It was awful...

There's nothing like a "Pineapple Express" here to give one an appreciation for the word "deluge" and "flood", though I'm sure it does rain there a lot. I remember one fall/winter we had back around '05...it rained everyday for 93 days-in-a-row! They were counting it daily on the morning news/weather. People I worked with at the office (myself included) were grouchy and depressed. It was awful...
That's crazy. I've been coming in and out of Columbus to work all summer and can't think of too many days it didn't rain

I’m in Mesa, Az. We will take 93 days of rain with a giant smile on our faces. It could be in a row or throughout the year. Just 93 days of rain sounds glorious.

Same here on my Firestick - only saw On Demand

Going to amazon.com/video on a computer then clicking on the HBO channel has live stream options for all of the HBO channels at the bottom. Have not seen the live stream option appear on Apple TV or Fire TV. Either it isn’t supported or it requires a subscription to see.

I don't see this any other way but that it is going to be bad for consumers. How anyone in Government thought owning programming content by the same companies who provide the services to watch it is beyond me.
Take away a level playing field and it is no longer the free market place. If HBO when on it's own had demanded higher prices just like Disney or Discovery can do that is far different than when a competitor holds the cards to content and has a vested interest you failing. Isn't that exact opposite of how it was, those with content wanted you to do well so people would be watching their content and they could get paid from several TV providers?

Content is king how often have we here said that, most of us will watch SD if the content is compelling enough. People will acknowledge DISH has better equipment but want the perceived (real or not) better sports on Directv. Some get cable over Satellite because they want the local cable news channels only available on their cable networks, or localized weather etc etc...
Can At&t buy Discovery too? ESPN from Disney?

With all of the problems the satellite & cable companies are having with disputes, rate hikes, a good excuse to cut the cord if you have high speed available. You then pay for the channels you want and directly. There are so many free channels on Roku & Fire TV too. Right now I am considering cutting down to a smaller package with Dish, but keep the stuff I want so I continue to get the free on demand.

Reactions: pattykay
Where did you see Live on HBO Now?? I see only On Demand type programming and yeah, 15 bucks, not 8 like someone posted earlier

The Roku has HBO Now (On Demand), but the Firestick/TV has the HBO app with the live stream on all of the channels (except West) I have both the Roku & the Fire TV.

Yes, they can, but... Not everyone has internet or have data caps so that can be an issue. The price is the same so that is a positive for those that can stream...

In my case not having a newer Dish receiver that has internet access, the Fire TV / Roku were my only choices for the Demand content.

They can’t raise the rate above $15 per month which seems to be the standard for HBO right now. Question is how much it costs Dish and if Dish will be able to add discounts like they used to in order to get their HBO subscriber number up.

The weird thing is, through Amazon Prime I believe Showtime is like $8.99 a month compared to $14.99 a month. HBO really worth almost double?

Yes, living on the Northern Oregon Coast, we do get the rain & storms from the South Pacific.

I have been monitoring social media streams and the news coverage of the Dish vs At$t / Hbo dispute.

I am not sure how much difference it makes, but Dish is definitely winning the PR battle. There is a lot of concern about At&t's power and motives in this situation. They are getting hammered by the press AND customers for the most part. (I am helping out with "education" on the subject via Twitter a little here and there.)

Talked to a tech rep while helping my brother. He said what ATT wants from Dish would probably result in a charge of $25-30.00 a month. Could be BS, but that's what he said.
Yeah that's made up. There's been no updates of the specifics of what AT&T is asking for. Just a guy making up a talking point.

The weird thing is, through Amazon Prime I believe Showtime is like $8.99 a month compared to $14.99 a month. HBO really worth almost double?
They believe they are, and their amount of subscribers compared to that Showtime would allow them to price themselves higher than Showtime and still keep their subscribers. I like Westworld, but that's basically it with HBO. I did watch Vice Principals for the two seasons it was on. That's what kept me from subbing to HBO. I usually would just use family's HBO login to watch Westworld on my computer. The old I got their HBO login and let them have my Netflix login.

Yet between the two, I actually occasionally subscribe to Showtime, mostly when Shameless is on. I never subscribe to HBO. And, I can use my family's login for Showtime if I want. I just don't. I find that I would watch more on Showtime than HBO, for no other reason than what I find interesting.

Reactions: pattykay
Ever been to Columbus, OH??? Good GOD it rains a lot here

You guys don't know what a lot of rain is. Neither Colombus nor Seattle gets anywhere near the annual rainfall that we get down on the Gulf Coast in Southeast Texas. Heck, last year we got over 50" in four days, including 29" in one 24 hour period. This year we got over 22" in September. Just look at the radar right now. :)

I do not watch any of those shows anyway, so I would not miss them. You would be surprised that you can change your viewing habits based on what programs are available from what channels that you subscribe to. And in a very short time, you will not even miss your previous favorite programs.
I think that we should all boycott ATT. Switch to Verizon, drop Directtv, bpycott all venues of HBO and put ATT out of business. We could do it, if we got a movement going. ATT SUCKS!

Easier said than done. Also, Verizon sucks too. They're not even bothering to meet their commitments in PA and NJ after those states gave them millions to upgrade their infrastructure. At least NY is going after them for similar failures. There are few good options for telecommunications these days. If you want good service, you're going to have to deal with an evil corporation.

Reactions: JSheridan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts