HBO/Cinemax Takedown

I watched Friday's Real Time Saturday night on YouTube for free, and last night's Last Week Tonight is already up. What do I need a subscription for?

This is what I'll be doing for the short term. The clips aren't everything in the show, unless someone uploads a version that isn't compatible with copyright, but they are enough for free.

I remember pay phones, and phone booths. All gone the way of the dinosaurs. Probably satellite delivered television is going that way too.

Not so fast...

Don’t mean to de-rail from the topic of HBO/MAX on Dish but I can’t help but to post this. :)

Founds this gem when I went to NYC in the Spring. Looking at the photos I took before and after its It’s near the News Corp building in Midtown Manhattan on the Avenue of the America’s aka 6th Ave. I picked up the receiver and it had a dial tone!

Attachments

• payphone.png
    payphone.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: HipKat
Not the first... Won't be the last... Dish is the one that looses because people will go elsewhere faster than they already are. HBO is going to make the money... via Dish, or if you go somewhere else you'll pay for it there.

Not so fast...

Don’t mean to de-rail from the topic of HBO/MAX on Dish but I can’t help but to post this. :)

Founds this gem when I went to NYC in the Spring. Looking at the photos I took before and after its It’s near the News Corp building in Midtown Manhattan on the Avenue of the America’s aka 6th Ave. I picked up the receiver and it had a dial tone!

I noticed Disney World still had payphones around when I was there last week. Kind of surprised me.

WISP’s will fill the void. It’s an excited time for wisps it’s do or die time. Either build fiber or upgrade wireless plant or your losing subs weekly. It’s pretty cool to see the new LTE gear wisps are using. “Telrad and baicells”

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!
I'll believe it when I see it, the WISPs in my area struggle to get 5/1 service to customers. Remember how Wi-MAX was going to revolutionize the last mile, yeah that worked really well. Plus all WISP media is shared media so the more customers they have the less bandwidth available to each customer.

Back in my earlier telephone man days I repaired payphones, stuck coins, broken internals, etc. I am reminded that a private payphone, say in a bar or a restaurant not the one on the street corner, came with a guaranteed usage minimum. The proprietor had to guarantee a certain amount of money out of the coinbox each month. If it didn't have enough money in it, the owner had to cough up the rest. It seems that AT&T is remembering that and want to use the same BS with HBO....
That was the model of the payphone vendor I used at my property.Once the major carriers exited the payphone business only little niche companies were left. I had 8 payphones any only 1 was making it's monthly quota. We finally dumped them about 5 or 6 years ago.

Getting back to this topic, I read somewhere that Dish has an HBO subscriber rate of around 20% and AT&T/HBO wants a subscriber minimum of 30%. If this is accurate, this would mean that Dish would have to pay AT&T/HBO for subscribers that don't exist.

While I suppose Dish could attempt to increase HBO subscribers by lowering the monthly cost for HBO, I can't see them doing that. It may be that Dish customers have seen the last of HBO via satellite.

Or bring back the $10 special price

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Which makes me wonder... Did At&t let DISH know awhile back they were going to insist on a certain percentage of subscribers and that's why the $10 special we got? And did that not bring it still to the required percentage? Magic 8 ball says

Magic_8_Ball_-_Instrument_Of_Evil%3F_%282426454804%29.jpg

HBO just isn't the channel it once was.

Watching HBO and many of its shows was like a special event. They had amazing boxing events, and the movies were aired to be special. Who could forget the opening of the HBO logo flying over the city. Even getting the HBO guide in the mail each month was special.

Now HBO really has nothing and you can watch what you want when you want. Boxing is going away and its the last real live show HBO has.

There is no reason for HBO to be a live channel anymore, as it would be best suited now as a video on demand service.

The programming lineup makes no sense and at times it seems like a video ipod that someone put on shuffle.

HBO just isn't the channel it once was.

I remember pay phones, and phone booths. All gone the way of the dinosaurs. Probably satellite delivered television is going that way too.

People keep forgetting that there is a vast area of the US where there is no other option to get this programming currently. May not be a large % of the population but it is a large % of the area.

People keep forgetting that there is a vast area of the US where there is no other option to get this programming currently. May not be a large % of the population but it is a large % of the area.

That's definitely true, and also partially the reason why I have satellite. But what's the ROI for a satellite company to continue to exist just for rural customers? Clearly DirecTV doesn't see it.

C-band intially filled that niche. Perhaps Dish will continue on in that capacity.

I am wondering how many companies are trying to create their own Netflix. CBS did it with All Access. Disney is going to do it with media formerly found on Netflix. What if HBO stops broadcasting and just offers streaming? They'd just be another Netflix.

After CBS started All Access we discussed this sort of future. After there are so many Netflix clones, there is a threshold where it is no more costly than to just pay for what you want to watch as you go. What they counter with is exclusivity like CBS did with Star Trek discovery. To counter that, all that needs be done is wait until other media comes out e.g. DVD.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

A while back while traveling, I did see a pay telephone. I checked it out as that one took credit cards.
You have to be careful with pay phones. My neighbor forgot her cell phone and need to call if it was back where she started 150 miles away. She had to use the pay phone for a 90 second call. The charge was 85 dollars. They argued and got it down to 25. OMG

I am wondering how many companies are trying to create their own Netflix. CBS did it with All Access. Disney is going to do it with media formerly found on Netflix. What if HBO stops broadcasting and just offers streaming? They'd just be another Netflix.

After CBS started All Access we discussed this sort of future. After there are so many Netflix clones, there is a threshold where it is no more costly than to just pay for what you want to watch as you go. What they counter with is exclusivity like CBS did with Star Trek discovery. To counter that, all that needs be done is wait until other media comes out e.g. DVD.

Ironically, it seems like we are actually moving towards an a la carte model a bit, at least in the streaming arena.

It almost sounds like cable channels are getting replaced by individual streaming apps and creating the de-facto ala carte model that everyone is wanting

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts