HBO Go coming to Apple TV

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...start-carrying-hbo-shows-later-this-year.html

Unfortunately not as a standalone service but you have to subscribe to HBO via cable/satellite.

Apple Inc. (AAPL) is in negotiations to start carrying Time Warner Inc. (TWX)’s HBO Go application on Apple TV by mid-2013, according to two people familiar with the plans.
Cable and satellite subscribers who pay for HBO will be able to watch 1,700 films and television shows on Apple TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are private. Apple TV is a $99 set-top device that streams content purchased on iTunes and via other online services to consumers’ televisions.

Maybe someday HBO will finally start selling direct to consumers.

This is the main thing I am missing on my Apple TV. We have a Roku in the living room and the family loves HBO Go on that box, mostly for old seasons of HBO shows. That room is largely dominated by the women of the house though. I spend most of my TV time in the basement. This room has a much better 5.1 setup and TV than the living room as well as my 2nd Hopper, Apple TV, PS3, and Xbox 360.

I really like the Apple TV for the airplay functionality with our iPhones and iPads but sometimes I wish I just had a 2nd Roku down there instead. To use my Amazon instant video account I have to boot up the PS3 slim which isn't a huge deal but it takes longer from boot up to watching video. However for HBO go I have to boot up my launch day 20GB Xbox 360. This beast sounds like a jet engine. It still works great and the sound doesn't bother me as much while gaming but I hate watching movies or TV on it.

My Apple TV gets all the Netflix and MLB.tv use but I would love more video apps on it. I realize that they will never give me Amazon, but HBO Go and Epix would be nice so I could officially retire my XBox as a streamer. I would also like the Showtime app but Dish doesn't offer that one.

Well it seems to be halfway here now. You can use Airplay to watch HBO go on an Apple TV using an iPad or iPhone.

Is this the first third party app to use AirPlay?

Since the RoKu does not have MAX GO on it I used my iPhone to stream MAX GO shows and used airplay to watch on the Apple TV. Worked quite well, and in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)