HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

Anyone else notice Netflix released their password sharing crackdown on the same day MAX launched? Clearly they wanted to avoid some of the attention about it while everyone was distracted by other news.
I've seen that story on GMA, Morning Joe and on Cable news every hour on the hour. So it isn't going to slip by most that watch TV. My basic Netflix account at 480p is paid for by my cell phone company T-mobile and it is only one screen. I used to have the 4k plan and 4 screens and most of my family had my password. But now I can't do that anymore. I don't really even go on Netflix much anymore. They have cancelled anything I liked this year so there is no reason to even keep it and I wouldn't , except its paid for by T-mobile.

Max required a manual update on the Roku, otherwise, that was smooth too. Didn't realize Netflix went live on their sharing policy.

Reactions: ncted
I've seen that story on GMA, Morning Joe and on Cable news every hour on the hour. So it isn't going to slip by most that watch TV. My basic Netflix account at 480p is paid for by my cell phone company T-mobile and it is only one screen. I used to have the 4k plan and 4 screens and most of my family had my password. But now I can't do that anymore. I don't really even go on Netflix much anymore. They have cancelled anything I liked this year so there is no reason to even keep it and I wouldn't , except its paid for by T-mobile.
I've seen stories about it today, but yesterday the news I saw (not cable/broadcast TV news as I just can't any more) was all about MAX. I am not sure they were particularly successful in doing anything but delaying the story for a day at most, but the timing caught my attention.

Last month, Warner Bros. Discovery said its direct-to-consumer streaming operations would be profitable in 2023, a year ahead of schedule. Streaming is “no longer a bleeder,” Zaslav said at the time. For the quarter ended March 30, Warner Bros’ direct-to-consumer unit had adjusted earnings of $50 million, compared with a loss of $654 million a year ago.

Max required a manual update on the Roku, otherwise, that was smooth too. Didn't realize Netflix went live on their sharing policy.
I just tried to watch my HBO sub and it just required me to log in again with my credentials which Apple TV remembered. The app was automatically updated behind the scenes since I have auto update selected in the menus.

Another member here suggested Ready Player One so we watched it the other evening on Max.

I can't help but ponder the accounting malfeasance that led to both the "$654 million loss" and "$50 million" "gain".

Reactions: KAB
I don't see that as a "shock" at all.

Part of the (vain, IMHO) struggle to actually make a profit at streaming is to sell the same thing over and over again. For example, if you have Peacock and linear TV, you are paying for NBC programs three times (for Peacock delivered non-linear NBC, for you local NBC station on Peacock, and for your local NBC station on the linear provider). Same across the industry.

So TWD is going to try to make you pay for the same programming on MAX and on Netflix. If you want "it all" you have to pay twice for the same things. No choice.

In this transition time to streaming, I expect more to do this.

I also expect, instead of producing content for two formats, shows will be on streaming first then on their broadcast/cable channels, basically the reverse of when CBS All Access started, broadcast first, then streaming.

Since Warner, Paramount, Disney are laying people off from the cable channels, you can see where their priorities are.

CBS and ABC have already announced they will be doing this if the writer’s strike goes on much longer.

Media company Paramount Global, looking to reduce costs as it merges its Showtime and MTV networks, is letting go about 25% of the staff in its domestic cable networks, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday.

As Deadline revealed in May, Warner Bros. Discovery is undergoing another round of layoffs in its television business and it’s starting today.

The layoffs, which were described by insiders as “pockets of refinement” rather than wholesale cuts, are happening in its cable TV business, which includes the Discovery-branded cable networks and Turner networks.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Part of the (vain, IMHO) struggle to actually make a profit at streaming is to sell the same thing over and over again. For example, if you have Peacock and linear TV, you are paying for NBC programs three times (for Peacock delivered non-linear NBC, for you local NBC station on Peacock, and for your local NBC station on the linear provider). Same across the industry.
You only pay more then once if you have both the streaming service and a Live Pay TV Service.

Using Peacock as a example, you get the exclusive stuff and the what is on NBC and Universal Cable Channels, if you just have a Live TV Provider, you lose out on the exclusive stuff.

For example, when the Big Ten starts up this Football Season, you will get the games on NBC and 10 streaming only games on Peacock, with just the Paid Live TV NBC, you lose out on the 10 exclusive games.

Part of the (vain, IMHO) struggle to actually make a profit at streaming is to sell the same thing over and over again. For example, if you have Peacock and linear TV, you are paying for NBC programs three times (for Peacock delivered non-linear NBC, for you local NBC station on Peacock, and for your local NBC station on the linear provider).*
* actual claim not accurate.

WWE, Indycar / Weathertech IMSA complete coverage, Tour de France world feed (commercial free), mostly b-list EPL matches and occasional A-list EPL matches, all bonus stuff on Peacock not available on TV.
Same across the industry.

So TWD is going to try to make you pay for the same programming on MAX and on Netflix. If you want "it all" you have to pay twice for the same things. No choice.
Of course, the issue with that is if you do so, you dilute the value of your own streaming service. So while it is an attempt to get more bucks, it devalues the product.

Not sure why it hasn't occurred to me before seeing this, but Time Warner Discovery has the same initials as The Walking Dead.
Based on Warner/Discovery’s debt, it is fitting.

• Wow
Proving more channels will soon be gone. I heard that they might shut down Bet and Vh1 to save cost if they can't sell them to another buyer. I think we will see this keep happening till regular cable and satellite go down for video service for good.

Proving more channels will soon be gone. I heard that they might shut down Bet and Vh1 to save cost if they can't sell them to another buyer. I think we will see this keep happening till regular cable and satellite go down for video service for good.
Vh1 just another rerun channel...same with BET...they lost their way many moons ago

The majority of cable channels are rerun channels.

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is about to go bye bye.

With all these channels about to shut down, I wonder if the monthly bill will be any less.
If they could do away with the Reality channels (nothing Real there) ... they would probably have more people interested in actually MAKING WORTHWHILE SHOWS AGAIN ...

Until they start making worthwhile shows, we'll continue to get Reruns.