HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

Isn't it nice there are all these app selections to enjoy your entertainment needs. Choose what best fits your life style and what you can tolerate or not. Or willing to pay.

Reactions: lakebum431
Isn't it nice there are all these app selections to enjoy your entertainment needs. Choose what best fits your life style and what you can tolerate or not. Or willing to pay.
I just hate it, it is just so awful that we get so much more content, the same content from Paid Live TV in much better quality, now a lot of it in 4K, new release movies, for a much less expensive price.

I miss Traditional Providers, where they will raise your price, sometimes twice a year, for bit staved video, less and less new content, no way out of some of those fees, even if you never watch a certain channel, old equipment.

I really miss paying for over 150 Channels and the extreme majority of content is nothing but reruns.

It is also sad that I no longer pay over $130-up and broadcast channels/RSN/or just because you are our customer fees.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeD-C05
Watch the first episode of Regime, and decide if you want to say that again.
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know that the quantity of good shows has declined on HBO. Just what my gut says.

Odd, I was getting the vibe that you hated streaming and thought the traditional cable/sat TV model was destined to be the go to for the next several decades.

Meanwhile, Discovery et al has the MotorTrend thing going, and they announced and began their WEC coverage. They showed the Dubai 1812k race. Had the practice, qualifying, and race. I feel fortunate to have Max with my fiber, because paying for Max to pay for B/R would be a tough call. Streaming is getting to the point where people such as myself who can say no to boxes in every room are no longer capable of saving money by cutting the cord. The only people saving money will be the people who had 4 boxes in their house.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know that the quantity of good shows has declined on HBO. Just what my gut says.
I don't think you're alone in have a vague general feeling about a decline in HBO. Based on my actual analysis of the data (number/types of shows, award nomations, critical acclaim) I don't think that's true, either in terms of quality or quantity of HBO Originals output, since HBO was subsumed into HBO Max/ Max. (It is true, though, that we're seeing fewer recent theatrical films on HBO after their output deals with 20th Century and Universal expired, leaving them now with just Warner Bros. and a new deal with A24.)

So that begs the question, why does there seem to be a vibe on the internet that HBO isn't as good lately? I think it's really just about marketing and branding. Having the HBO prestige brand buried inside Max, which has crap like "1,000-lb Sisters" and "Dr. Pimple Popper" on its home page, isn't helping the brand. And folks always confuse Max Originals with HBO Originals. Now, some scripted Max Originals are great and could easily be HBO Originals (e.g. Hacks, Station Eleven, The Staircase), although that brand does include some stuff that feels more like basic cable fare that might have instead aired on TNT, TBS or TruTV, like Pretty Little Liars and Bookie, plus reality stuff like FBoy Island and Selena + Chef.

Odd, I was getting the vibe that you hated streaming and thought the traditional cable/sat TV model was destined to be the go to for the next several decades.

Meanwhile, Discovery et al has the MotorTrend thing going, and they announced and began their WEC coverage. They showed the Dubai 1812k race. Had the practice, qualifying, and race. I feel fortunate to have Max with my fiber, because paying for Max to pay for B/R would be a tough call. Streaming is getting to the point where people such as myself who can say no to boxes in every room are no longer capable of saving money by cutting the cord. The only people saving money will be the people who had 4 boxes in their house.
You missed this

I don't think you're alone in have a vague general feeling about a decline in HBO. Based on my actual analysis of the data (number/types of shows, award nomations, critical acclaim) I don't think that's true, either in terms of quality or quantity of HBO Originals output, since HBO was subsumed into HBO Max/ Max. (It is true, though, that we're seeing fewer recent theatrical films on HBO after their output deals with 20th Century and Universal expired, leaving them now with just Warner Bros. and a new deal with A24.)

So that begs the question, why does there seem to be a vibe on the internet that HBO isn't as good lately? I think it's really just about marketing and branding. Having the HBO prestige brand buried inside Max, which has crap like "1,000-lb Sisters" and "Dr. Pimple Popper" on its home page, isn't helping the brand. And folks always confuse Max Originals with HBO Originals. Now, some scripted Max Originals are great and could easily be HBO Originals (e.g. Hacks, Station Eleven, The Staircase), although that brand does include some stuff that feels more like basic cable fare that might have instead aired on TNT, TBS or TruTV, like Pretty Little Liars and Bookie, plus reality stuff like FBoy Island and Selena + Chef.
I think Game of Thrones was simply too big.

The app we have for HBO is MAX. Wife watches the series and there is not much in the way of HBO Movies, for me. Roku has a movie selections and the ads are 25 Sec, for the most part. I also use TUBI for free movies and can zip the ads. Netflix and Prime are put to use for movies and wife has some shows she watches. On some of these apps, I might watch a short series. for a day or 2. We never run out of entertainment......lol

I signed back up for Max. I dropped it a month ago because they started charging $50 a year more for UHD. It used to be included. They are now having a promotion. I got the UHD plan for $139 instead of $199.

S~