HBO Max/Discovery+ Merger

Not surprised by this:
In the United States maybe, the problem is they include all of regular HBO in with the numbers, not every HBO subscriber gets MAX ( they can and should), Disney has a big lead globally.

As of 4th quarter, 2021-

HBO/MAX
United States-47 million
Global-73.8 million

Disney+ -
United States-42.9 million
Global-129 million

In the United States maybe, the problem is they include all of regular HBO in with the numbers, not every HBO subscriber gets MAX ( they can and should), Disney has a big lead globally.

As of 4th quarter, 2021-

HBO/MAX
United States-47 million
Global-73.8 million

Disney+ -
United States-42.9 million
Global-129 million
Silly to say that HBO subs who don't use the included Max app shouldn't be included in the total count. They pay the same $15/mo. Doesn't matter if they're only availing themselves of a certain portion of the overall Max content (i.e. the HBO hub) -- no one who subscribes to any service watches *everything* it offers.

Yes, Disney+ has a big lead in the global subscriber race. But two caveats there. First, HBO Max is still only part-way through their global expansion (and may have to wait a few more years to show up in various key markets like Canada, UK, Germany, etc., where HBO content remains tied up in long-term output deals with other groups like Crave, Sky, etc.). But the service still has additional European markets to launch this year.

Second, Disney+ sells for less around the world than does HBO Max. Here in the US, D+ (ad-free) costs $8 vs. HBO Max at $15, nearly twice as much. (A cheaper ad-supported version of D+ will launch later this year. My guess it will cost $5-6/mo versus HBO Max's $10/mo price.) And in India, where the service is called Disney+ Hotstar, it sells for super-cheap. Plans start at US $0.69 per month (with ads, 720p, 1 mobile device) and top out at $19.63 per year (ad-free, 4K, 4 devices including TVs). Meanwhile, Warner has yet to launch a streaming product in the huge Indian market.

So comparing the number of global D+ vs. Max subs is a little like comparing global sales of, IDK, Hyundai vs. BMW.

Not surprised by this:
This doesn't surprise me either. But once Disney combines Hulu into Disney+ within the next couple years, they'll probably move back ahead of Max.

Just noticed that The Batman is going up for sell on Vudu/itunes/etc the same day (4/18) it will be on HBOMAX, I believe this is something they should not do, if the goal is to attract new subs to MAX with these 45 days later premieres, they should keep it a exclusive for a month.

No idea what CNN was thinking. :oldlaugh

They were thinking of staying with the current trend to add a PLUS to your app. Which was a stupid idea ,when you consider their ratings aren't that great for viewers for the cable channel version.

Pandora now Pandora Plus
Discovery now Discovery Plus
Cbs All Access then Paramount and now Paramount Plus

Reactions: TheKrell
They were thinking of staying with the current trend to add a PLUS to your app. Which was a stupid idea ,when you consider their ratings aren't that great for viewers for the cable channel version.

Pandora now Pandora Plus
Discovery now Discovery Plus
Cbs All Access then Paramount and now Paramount Plus

My confusion was their thinking many would want to pay extra for it while the regular channel is mostly free.

Can't blame the new owners for shutting CNN+ down if the numbers are accurate (10k daily users and spending of more than $400m). Better to cut it now, then wait a year and spend more money.

Reactions: NashGuy and Mochuf
The fact that a lot of CNN's most popular content wasn't on the channel due to exclusivity agreements with cable/satellite/live streaming providers, I don't know how they ever thought it would be successful.

The fact that a lot of CNN's most popular content wasn't on the channel due to exclusivity agreements with cable/satellite/live streaming providers, I don't know how they ever thought it would be successful.
Yeah, the whole concept was misguided. They could at least have included the previous night's primetime shows on-demand in CNN+ without running afoul of their MVPD agreements for CNN. MSNBC is now doing that on Peacock and Fox News does it on Fox Nation.

But CNN+ wasn't designed to draw in cord-cutters. It was clearly designed to appeal to CNN super-fans, who already watched CNN on cable and yet were willing to spend a few bucks more per month for MOAR CNN. What kind of flawed market testing did they do to lead them to think that this was a viable business proposition? I don't think they would ever have found enough folks willing to pay $3-6 per month for CNN+ to make it profitable (at least as long as CNN+ remained ad-free).

Reactions: ncted
Paramount+ is a little boy trying to play against the big boys.

To continue on with this, Paramount+ just added another 6.8 subscribers in the first quarter and just upped their sub number projections from 65-75 million to now 100 million by the end of 2024.

Also this-

Paramount+ is to launch in the UK and South Korea next month and will be in India next year.

Launches in Italy, Germany, France and Austria will follow in the second half of this year.

Reactions: Foxbat and ncted
To continue on with this, Paramount+ just added another 6.8 subscribers in the first quarter and just upped their sub number projections from 65-75 million to now 100 million by the end of 2024.

Also this-

Paramount+ is to launch in the UK and South Korea next month and will be in India next year.

Launches in Italy, Germany, France and Austria will follow in the second half of this year.

Yeah, I can see Paramount+ easily making it on their own, but I could also see them sucking up little Peacock if the conditions are right.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yeah, I can see Paramount+ easily making it on their own, but I could also see them sucking up little Peacock if the conditions are right.
Even with the increase of Subs, the company as a whole is just treading water.