HBO on Direct for less than $18/month?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
Seems like Direct must be the most expensive way to get HBO??

ie. I can get HBO via AmazonPrime for only $15/month. or HBONow from HBO ofor $15/month. Also currently $15/mo on Dish.

any way to get just a discount on just HBO with Direct? (I called and was told no)

ie. I can get HBO via AmazonPrime for only $15/month. or HBONow from HBO ofor $15/month. Also currently $15/mo on Dish.

any way to get just a discount on just HBO with Direct? (I called and was told no)

Yes, but you may not be interested. If you are an AT&T Wireless customer with the new Unlimited plan, you get HBO for free.

If you go with Amazon or HBO Now, be advised that there are regular delays with things that are live, such as Real Time with Bill Maher, showing up on-time on those services. If you don't care about that, I recommend the Amazon option as its Watchlist functionality is better than HBO Now (or Go for that matter).

Yes, but you may not be interested. If you are an AT&T Wireless customer with the new Unlimited plan, you get HBO for free.

If you go with Amazon or HBO Now, be advised that there are regular delays with things that are live, such as Real Time with Bill Maher, showing up on-time on those services. If you don't care about that, I recommend the Amazon option as its Watchlist functionality is better than HBO Now (or Go for that matter).

I can live with that limitation. In watching only 1 series so far on Amazon Prime, I was quite pleased with the streaming quality. Hopefully it will be comparable.

thanks
Mike

Yes, all you do is call them up and bitch about the exact fact that you mentioned. Ask them if there are any specials on HBO (hint, there are ALWAYS specials on HBO, usually $6 or $7 bucks off a month).

Yes, all you do is call them up and bitch about the exact fact that you mentioned. Ask them if there are any specials on HBO (hint, there are ALWAYS specials on HBO, usually $6 or $7 bucks off a month).

Nope.. I did exactly that (politely)... no offer to get below $17.99./month.

I can get Showtime for free with that (for 3 months).. but nothing to get the cost to the same level as Amazon Prime, iTunes, Dish, etc.

Looks like we'll be trying it on Amazon Prime.

I've never paid more than $7.50 on Dish. Add then drop you always get a 6 month offer 1/2 price. It's been like this for years.

Reactions: pattykay
I called a couple of weeks ago and asked if they had any deals on HBO. The best they would offer me was $15 if I committed to 12 months. I told them no thank you and subscribed to HBO Now.

I also asked if there was anything they could do to lower my bill. In the past they've always offered me $5, $10, even $25 off per month just because I called. This time they only offered $2 off the HD Extra Pack for three months.

I think I'm going to look at Dish before the new TV season starts.

Reactions: ncted
I called a couple of weeks ago and asked if they had any deals on HBO. The best they would offer me was $15 if I committed to 12 months. I told them no thank you and subscribed to HBO Now.

I also asked if there was anything they could do to lower my bill. In the past they've always offered me $5, $10, even $25 off per month just because I called. This time they only offered $2 off the HD Extra Pack for three months.

I think I'm going to look at Dish before the new TV season starts.

As companies like DirecTV continue to lose customers, they are going to try to protect their revenue any way they can. As customers, we are going to have to be willing to switch to keep our costs down.

As companies like DirecTV continue to lose customers, they are going to try to protect their revenue any way they can. As customers, we are going to have to be willing to switch to keep our costs down.
Your not saving money that way ...
Your just moving one headache to another, once one promo expires, you'll be paying the same as if you would have stayed.

I use to just call in at the end of the year and see what they had to offer to a long term sub.
It would always beat the hassle of changing providers and learning a new channel guide and equipment.

Because I have AT&T Unlimited Plus wireless plan HBO on DIRECTV is $0.00, can't get any lower then that.

Reactions: Jimbo
Your not saving money that way ...
Your just moving one headache to another, once one promo expires, you'll be paying the same as if you would have stayed.

I use to just call in at the end of the year and see what they had to offer to a long term sub.
It would always beat the hassle of changing providers and learning a new channel guide and equipment.

If you switch whenever the 2-year promo ends to a new 2-year promo with another vendor, you save money vs. staying. Until they start offering loyalty discounts, it is the most economical way to go. However, it is also the most disruptive to our personal lives.

"
upload_2017-8-1_12-9-26.png

*HBO/Cinemax $15.99/mo for 12 Months Offer: Offer ends 12/31/17. Customers who subscribe to both HBO and Cinemax, with at least one (1) being a new subscription, will receive a $15/mo. bill credit for 12 months. Credit may take 1 to 5 weeks to to appear on customer's bill. Offer available to residential DIRECTV customers with accounts in good standing as determined by DIRECTV that are not currently subscribe to HBO or Cinemax. Programming & pricing subject to change. Cannot be combined with any other HBO or Cinemax promotional offers. Conditions apply. Call 1-800-531-5000 to order.

Reactions: Jimbo
I've never paid more than $7.50 on Dish. Add then drop you always get a 6 month offer 1/2 price. It's been like this for years.

I'm on the $10 f/life HBO/DISH deal...so as long as I never drop it, I don't have to deal with having to get it lowered back down from regular price...

Similarly.. Starz is $13.99 on Direct... $8.99 on Amazon...

We used HBO on Amazon for GoT... very happy with the video quality, shows were usually available ~5 minutes sooner, and you could skip as far ahead as you wanted.

Similarly.. Starz is $13.99 on Direct... $8.99 on Amazon...

We used HBO on Amazon for GoT... very happy with the video quality, shows were usually available ~5 minutes sooner, and you could skip as far ahead as you wanted.
Streaming channels BETTER be cheaper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)