HBO: The News Room scheduled on ch.465?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I just noticed my daily schedule shows a recording scheduled for Friday morning at 2:32am on channel 465 for "HBO Premier Episode: The Newsroom". I didn't set this timer. Is this something Dish has scheduled and why?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

We do not schedule timers in receivers. Odd that the timer is coming up on channel 465, that is a PPV channel. HBO is 300-309. (Fingers aren't working today had 305 down first.)

What model receiver do you have? It could have happened if a nieghbor has a UHF remote on the same frequency as yours, but that would depend on the model of receiver.

Last edited:
I just noticed the same thing. It appears to be season 1 premier and a marketing campaign to add HBO. At least they could have put it on a HD channel.

We do not schedule timers in receivers. Odd that the timer is coming up on channel 465, that is a PPV channel. HBO is 300-305.

What model receiver do you have? It could have happened if a nieghbor has a UHF remote on the same frequency as yours, but that would depend on the model of receiver.

Unless smokey is my neighbor this is not the case

We do not schedule timers in receivers. Odd that the timer is coming up on channel 465, that is a PPV channel. HBO is 300-309. (Fingers aren't working today had 305 down first.)

I have a hopper.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I have it scheduled on mine as well, Friday at 2:32AM on channel 465. I did not schedule it.

I have an original Hopper, and no neighbors within range that one of their remotes would do it.

Sorry, Jason, Dish does indeed put things automatically in the timer schedule. I've seen late night timer events set for a 5-minute promo to record onto the DVR. This is the first time I've seen an entire hour+ long event scheduled though. It shows up on my timer list as the lowest priority, manual timer set for 465 from 2:32am to 3:47am on my 722.

Yes, E* does schedule timers for promos or events like this. It happens to try and get people to sub to channels it's a single event preview. Everyone will have this on their DVR's. What bugs me is that it's on an SD channel.

Yep Dish does indeed add timers.Seen Scott Patrick on my dvr numerous times over the years,and I sure didn't set a timer for him.Also,not sure of it's Dish but,I think it is,those 3 minute replays of shows on fx.

Channel 465 is a Sports PPV channel. I see that they have a free showing of HBO's Game of Thrones scheduled at that time frame on that channel. I did not find it on my Daily Schedule however, only in the guide. I subscribe to HBO so that is probably why. I'm going to guess that HBO wants this to get on Hoppers for non-subscribers to entice them to open a sub. It would seem that they didn't get enough takers on their free preview weekend last week.... Just guessing...

Channel 465 is a Sports PPV channel. I see that they have a free showing of HBO's Game of Thrones scheduled at that time frame on that channel. I did not find it on my Daily Schedule however, only in the guide. I subscribe to HBO so that is probably why. I'm going to guess that HBO wants this to get on Hoppers for non-subscribers to entice them to open a sub. It would seem that they didn't get enough takers on their free preview weekend last week.... Just guessing...
Weird, I have HBO as well and have it scheduled.

Sorry to disagree with a Dish rep here but Dish many times over the years schedules timers for something. It might be a 7 min overview of "Justified" or a fall preview of something. It has been talked about many times that the hard drive has space reserved for just such an event.
It makes sense to use a different channel than an HBO channel so that everyone gets the viewing, otherwise they would have to go to everyone's receiver and like a freeview just for this one episode. This is exactly how I originally found out about "Justified" possibly the best series on TV so I have no problem with this.

No,it's not that big of a deal,very easy to delete the timer or the content,and it usually is only a few minutes.

Agree, but it's more to acquaint you with the program. And remember, they are downloading it to what sounds like everyone. They would have to filter who gets HD and who does not.

I too have a hopper with hbo premier episode: the newsroom at 1:32-2:47 on Friday morning.

Checking my timers shows a manual timer set for that time and created by ASM. I don't know who ASM is. Wonder if this is a bug from 244 that came the other night?

image-3949665457.jpg

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

I too have a hopper with hbo premier episode: the newsroom at 1:32-2:47 on Friday morning.

Checking my timers shows a manual timer set for that time and created by ASM. I don't know who ASM is. Wonder if this is a bug from 244 that came the other night?

View attachment 86618

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

I still have 238 and I have the same timer set. I also sub to HBO.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)