HD 4:2:2, CPU killer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kymics

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can anyone tell me if displaying a 4:2:2 HD feed takes significantly more horsepower than a 4:2:0 HD feed?

I'm just trying to do some future planning to see if there's any benefit in getting an HD FTA box versus upgrading my PC. If my existing PC can take care of 4:2:2 SD feeds, and I run 4:2:0 HD feeds from the FTA receiver then I could probably live without 4:2:2 HD. The flip side of the coin is if all types of HD feeds take about the same horsepower then perhaps I should bite the bullet and upgrade my PC and skip the FTA receiver.

Any thoughts?

I know the 4:2:2 HD 35mbps feeds give my dual core AMD 4200 a run for its money.

But I wouldn't have it any other way than my HTPC.

I have a four year old AMD 2800+ with a gig of RAM and I never could get an HD feed to work smoothly but 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 was no problem at all. So the answer is yes and I guess use as much horsepower as you can afford. I am waiting for a box that does HD and 4:2:2 but it might be some wait.

I can't remeber any 4:2:2 HD, but I can watch 36mbps 4:2:0 HD using media player classic with codecs with DXVA turned on.

I am using a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HyperThreading, my graphics card is a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, so it's not that powerful.

If you are planning on upgrading your PC for satellite receiving it is recommended that a Pentium 4 at 3.4Ghz with Hyperthreading capability or the equivalent be used.

I use a Q6600 (over clocked to 3.15 ghz) and with a 55mbps 4:2:2 feed, I use 23% cpu load with a 7950gt Nvidia video card. This is with Deinterlacing set to Blend or Bob with Videolan player.

Thanks for the recommendation on PC stats. I'm well below that right now (AMD 1600+) but that Intel chip is not cutting edge any more so the cost should be reasonable.

What about graphic cards, for the price what is the most important factor (e.g. memory, brand, codec support, 2D/3D, etc)? I'm not a gamer, so I don't want to spend a wad on a graphics card.

I also heard that dual core chips don't really benefit FTA, but do they do more harm than good?

Thanks for the recommendation on PC stats. I'm well below that right now (AMD 1600+) but that Intel chip is not cutting edge any more so the cost should be reasonable.

What about graphic cards, for the price what is the most important factor (e.g. memory, brand, codec support, 2D/3D, etc)? I'm not a gamer, so I don't want to spend a wad on a graphics card.

I also heard that dual core chips don't really benefit FTA, but do they do more harm than good?

All depends on what you use... I've seen some feeds that my AMD 4200 wouldn't handle in single core mode.

With the current set of viewers I'm using, it's all about the CPU power not GPU power.

All depends on what you use... I've seen some feeds that my AMD 4200 wouldn't handle in single core mode.

With the current set of viewers I'm using, it's all about the CPU power not GPU power.

Sounds like it's safe to say you can't do anything else with your pc while watching HD. Is that right? Also it seems by paying all the money to upgrade pc and/or graphics cards it would be easier and cheaper to just get the Quali TV receiver. No?

Sounds like it's safe to say you can't do anything else with your pc while watching HD. Is that right? Also it seems by paying all the money to upgrade pc and/or graphics cards it would be easier and cheaper to just get the Quali TV receiver. No?

No.. my PC does other things while I'm watching HD.

Cheaper and easier....maybe...but you get what you pay for. How much storage space does that Quali have? Can it record OTA HD in the background too? MPEG4 video?

Cheaper and easier....maybe...but you get what you pay for. How much storage space does that Quali have? Can it record OTA HD in the background too? MPEG4 video?

...Or can the quali stream feeds to other pcs :)

Hmm I just imagined that would take up alot of power. What machine are you running? I've got the intel core 2 duo running at 2.13 GHZ. Is that enough to run the TV and still do what you want with the computer? Is it a PITA to set up and use? What kind of connection do you use to your TV?

Hmm I just imagined that would take up alot of power. What machine are you running? I've got the intel core 2 duo running at 2.13 GHZ. Is that enough to run the TV and still do what you want with the computer? Is it a PITA to set up and use? What kind of connection do you use to your TV?

Dual core AMD 4200 here. Nothing crazy.

I use a typical NVidia 7000 series card with a DVI to HDMI cable.

I find it pretty easy to use as I'm familiar with TSReader, DVBDream, DVD programs, OTA captures, etc. Even the wife turns it on and watches her shows with the air mouse via media player classic.

Keep in mind this isn't my computer I use for everyday browsing. It is strictly a HTPC. As I all I have hooked up to it is the 57 inch HDTV.

And please realize that everyone doesn't have an easy time like Digi does.
I have a brand new AMD 6000+ computer/Nvidia 8500GT/DvbDream to my plasma tv via HDMI and it STILL won't play SD 4:2:2 jitter free or HD 4:2:0 jitter free either. I pull my hair out daily. I know the PC is capable of it because it has no problem with HD from the onboard OTA HD tuner.

DVB HD/4:2:2 is NOT a plug and play thing, by any means. There is a LOT to know. And, apparently, I don't know it yet.:)

And please realize that everyone doesn't have an easy time like Digi does.
I have a brand new AMD 6000+ computer/Nvidia 8500GT/DvbDream to my plasma tv via HDMI and it STILL won't play SD 4:2:2 jitter free or HD 4:2:0 jitter free either. I pull my hair out daily. I know the PC is capable of it because it has no problem with HD from the onboard OTA HD tuner.

DVB HD/4:2:2 is NOT a plug and play thing, by any means. There is a LOT to know. And, apparently, I don't know it yet.:)

Yeah, I will say the best combination I have found for 4:2:2 is TSReader w/VLC.

I hear the new version of DVBDream can stream to VLC so maybe it can also do 4:2:2 too. Have you tried that?

I hear the new version of DVBDream can stream to VLC so maybe it can also do 4:2:2 too. Have you tried that?

Yeah T, I tried it, it crashes like the Hindenburg. :(
During the LSU game a couple weeks ago I got it to stream via VLC pretty well, but no sound. went to change the audio codec, crash.

4:2:2 looks like the cameraman has the shakes all the time. I'll be glad when all the feeds that are 4:2:2 go HD next year where I don't have to deal with it so much. I've tried Elecard, Elecard 3.0, and FFDshow, FFDshow is a total crashfest with dvbdream. I saw some hints on the DVBDream site, I may try FFDshow again.

Some of the HD streams can be choppy for me too. BEst I found (especailly for VS) is streaming to VLC. Dvbdream lan streaming to loopback adress with 18k buffer (timeshift). VLC upd w/timeshift and 400ms cache.

Adjusting the cache cleared up most of my probs. VLC is great on my AMD 3800 dual core for HD and sd 4.2.2 feeds. Its been awhile since i've seen a HD 4.2.2 feed so I have nothing to compare it to

I reinstalled the new 1.4d dvbdream this morning,new 1020a sat card driver as dvbdream folks reccomend, and ffdshow. It works GREAT for 4:2:2 sd, MUCH better than elecard 3.0 codec on my system.

HOWEVER, streaming is totally broken. VLC will open, but no pic and no sound. I have no idea what is happening. DVBdream says its streaming, but VLC is not receiving it. I tried looking at the port, its the same on dvbdream and vlc.
So I tried MPC, it wouldn't even open.:(

So, I exited renderless mode, fired up ffdshow codecs and am watchng my 4:2:2 that way. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)