HD-A2 as upscaling, it is better than standard?

bforce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Castle Rock, CO.
I just recently saw an HD-A2 for $70 and was wondering is it is significantly better at upscaling DVDs than a regular upscaling player. I was gonna buy it that reason only, save for maybe a couple HD-DVD titles.

Any opinions on the matter?
Thanks,

Depends on which "regular upscaling player" you are talking about. A $200 Oppo upscaler? No. At $29 "Ding-wow" upscaler, most certainly.

Other than generically saying an A2 is better than the worst upconvertor and (probably) not as good as the best, you'll have to find someone who owns both your chosen "regular upconverter" and an A2 to make comparisons. My hunch is that they would be in the same ballpark, but that's just a hunch. Myself, I would let price decide.

Be aware that an A2 will boot up slower than a standard DVD player, if that's of concern to you. Also, if you have a fancy universal remote control and are using macros, you won't find a discrete power on and discrete power off code for an A2. "Play + Stop" substitutes for discrete power on. And "Play + Stop + PowerToggle" substitutes for discrete power off. However, the A2's 30 second boot time can mess you up with these substitute commands in certain circumstances.

The OEM remote control for the A2 sucks. But then, every OEM remote control for every DVD player sucks. So it's a wash in that department.

I wouldn't trade my A2 for anything less than an expensive Oppo upconverter. And maybe not even then. But that's purely subjective unsupported opinion on my part.

Other than generically saying an A2 is better than the worst upconvertor and (probably) not as good as the best, you'll have to find someone who owns both your chosen "regular upconverter" and an A2 to make comparisons. My hunch is that they would be in the same ballpark, but that's just a hunch. Myself, I would let price decide.

Be aware that an A2 will boot up slower than a standard DVD player, if that's of concern to you. Also, if you have a fancy universal remote control and are using macros, you won't find a discrete power on and discrete power off code for an A2. "Play + Stop" substitutes for discrete power on. And "Play + Stop + PowerToggle" substitutes for discrete power off. However, the A2's 30 second boot time can mess you up with these substitute commands in certain circumstances.

The OEM remote control for the A2 sucks. But then, every OEM remote control for every DVD player sucks. So it's a wash in that department.

I wouldn't trade my A2 for anything less than an expensive Oppo upconverter. And maybe not even then. But that's purely subjective unsupported opinion on my part.

Thanks for the info about the universal remote, as I have a Harmony 880. That definitely helps!! :D

Anyone else with an opinion?

I have a Sony upconverting DVD player, and an A2. I can't tell the difference between the two. But I have a selection of HD DVDs so I'm happy with both. My Sony is a multidisc player so I normally don't load rentals into it and use the A2.

But the A2 can be controlled by the phaser remote!

I have a Sony upconverting DVD player, and an A2. I can't tell the difference between the two. But I have a selection of HD DVDs so I'm happy with both. My Sony is a multidisc player so I normally don't load rentals into it and use the A2.

My upconverting player is a Sony too, and it does a good job. I was only thinking of the HD-DVD player if there was a considerable difference. So far, it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks for the info!!

The A2 is better than most of the run of the mill name brand ones that were $100-200 a year ago. One great thing about the Toshiba is that it doesn't stretch 4:3 SD DVD's the way a lot of the cheaper upconverters do. Actually, look for a good deal on a A20/A30. Those will challenge even most of the Oppo units if you output it at 1080i rather than 1080p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)