HD Absolute - how long?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JuanPablo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but I didn't find the information I was looking for.

Is there a timeline for the HD Absolute package after which point we'll be forced to switch to one of the Turbo HD packages?

Sounds like a ripoff if we're forced to switch. We'll be paying more and getting less :mad:

Thanks for the information.

Bo

As far as I know there is no timeline for the total abolishment of the HD absolute package. It simply is no longer available for new subscribers and those that have it and switch to another package cannot go back to it. If anyone else knows anything different for sure, I haven't heard it.:)

My understanding is that you are grandfathered into the price and plan for as long as you don't change your programming. Once you change it, you can't ever get it back. My advice is to stay on absolute as long as possible until there is evidence of channels you need/want only offerred by the Turbo or standard packages.

I waited anxiously for SPEED HD to be added but unfortunately it hasen't happened yet. The Formula1 season starts this week. So I'm considering switching to the Classic Silver + Silver HD so I can at least watch the races in SD. I'll be paying more and I'll be getting fewer HD channels. Worse yet, I can't even switch back to the absolute package. I'm screwed :-(

I waited anxiously for SPEED HD to be added but unfortunately it hasen't happened yet. The Formula1 season starts this week. So I'm considering switching to the Classic Silver + Silver HD so I can at least watch the races in SD. I'll be paying more and I'll be getting fewer HD channels. Worse yet, I can't even switch back to the absolute package. I'm screwed :-(

i'm in the same boat, however i can go to my neighbor's who has D* and watch F1... i can't believe we're STILL waiting for SpeedHD on E*... totally unacceptable.

any update on the status? i see Fox News/Business HD in the listing and i thought that SpeedHD was contingent on getting that Fox crap first?

I did the switch last night in advance of practice starting tomorrow morning. Once we get SpeedHD, I will drop the SD channels, but at least I will get F1 in the mean time.

Ted

I would be willing to pay $39.99 for HD Absolute package, provided all future HD channels are added.

My guess is Dish has decided to leave Absolute customers alone. The Absolute (originally known simply as DishHD) package was only available for 6 months. Either they don't want to rock the boat for those who have it and risk churn OR there are so few Absolute subs they don't care. A lot of people didn't want absolute because you didn't get an RSN.

My guess is Dish has decided to leave Absolute customers alone. The Absolute (originally known simply as DishHD) package was only available for 6 months. Either they don't want to rock the boat for those who have it and risk churn OR there are so few Absolute subs they don't care. A lot of people didn't want absolute because you didn't get an RSN.
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure dish looses more money on the Welcome pack than they do on HD Absolute, but I'd be willing to bet there are more Welcome Pack subs than there are Absolute subs. However, the majority of the Absolute sub base is likely more of the enthusiast than the casual sub. Enthusiasts tend to be VERY vocal. Perhaps, they'll just use that extra 1% of the sub base to pad the turbo numbers and hope that PT-HD-RSN's will be enough of an insentive to lure the remainder over (eventually)...

I did the switch last night in advance of practice starting tomorrow morning. Once we get SpeedHD, I will drop the SD channels, but at least I will get F1 in the mean time.

Ted

I did the switch too. The sad thing is even if E* adds SPEED HD, we'll have to switch to the Silver HD package. We'll be paying more and will have fewer channels than Absolute HD :mad:

Are there really that many Speed channel fans?

Where does Speed rate viewership wise with other cable channels?

I could look up myself but I don't feel up to it. :)

That is a great question! Does anyone know where to find ratings listings? I could only find this list which implies that at least last week, the only cable stations people really care about is NICK and USA. If only they could combine wrestling and SpongeBob, then you would get some ratings!

Nielsen TV Ratings for Cable Series - Zap2it

Not all networks participate in Nielsen. Many cable channels just use the stats provided by the cable/satellite companies about viewership to determine their rate cards for advertising.

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts