HD Absolute - how long?

You can get premium movie channels & Locals - so I don't see why you can't get the supers. Call and ask - or better yet do an online chat. That way you can get it in writing from a CSR that it won't kick you out of Absolute HD.

Was able to add it online, it confirmed that Absolute was still my programming package after I ordered the Superstation pack. Oddly, it did not give me the choice at first...only the RSN pack.. added that then got an error that I needed one of the 'colored' packages! (lol) - went back and the Superstation pack was there, added it, confirmed that my package was Absolute + Superstations and everything is rosy again!

Perhaps this is a novice question (actually two), but what are the superstation channels? Also, can someone tell me what the difference is between channels in red and channels in green on my guide?

Last edited:
Perhaps this is a novice question (actually two), but what are the superstation channels? Also, can someone tell me what the difference is between channels in red and channels in green on my guide?

Channels in Red are ones which are not included in your package... it is odd because all the RSNs do not show up at all for me, you think they would be in Red... or at least all the Red channels wouldn't show up in the guide at all!

The Superstations include KTLA, WWOR, WSBK, WPIX, KWGN, WGN (we have it in HD)... they have some baseball games on that I would not get otherwise (hopefully they will not be blacked out! ;) - these are independant and CW stations I think.. none in HD except WGN as far as I know...

The green channels you can instantly upgrade to by selecting them on your receiver. You don't have to go through a CSR or online or anyone to upgrade to them. For instance, I don't have a phone connected to my DVR (nor internet) and I could upgrade very simply to them.

The red channels require you to call or to go online in order to upgrade.

And, since we're at it, the yellow channels are those that are from your antenna (OTA).

The green channels you can instantly upgrade to by selecting them on your receiver. You don't have to go through a CSR or online or anyone to upgrade to them. For instance, I don't have a phone connected to my DVR (nor internet) and I could upgrade very simply to them.

The red channels require you to call or to go online in order to upgrade.

And, since we're at it, the yellow channels are those that are from your antenna (OTA).
Wait, so I can add individual channels as long as they are in green without going to another package? For instance I can add just E network without having to add more channels? If that is the case, what is the per channel cost?

HD Absolute package is one of the main reasons I am still with Dish! I do miss RSNs, Fox News, MSNBC and some other channels that I can't get with this package, but not enough to justify the price jump.

And I don't think Dish loses any money on me: saving money with Dish Absolute allows me to spend more on premium channels and PPV.

Personally, I don't care much about any of the recently added channels, but I am glad that Dish keeps adding channels to this discontinued package and keeps their customers happy! :up :up

Personally, I don't care much about any of the recently added channels, but I am glad that Dish keeps adding channels to this discontinued package and keeps their customers happy! :up :up
I'm happy, especially saving $30/month compared to the equivalent TurboHD setup.

Tech chat informed me of these things I found worthwhile tonight:
Bebop: Any word if the package pricing goes up after my committment ends?
(24DrDcb) Darren H. KTW: At this time, your commitment does not have anything to do with the price of the package itself.
Bebop: Do you know if I should expect to see additional channels on my Absolute HD package if they are added to the GoldHD package?
(24DrDcb) Darren H. KTW: You should.
(24DrDcb) Darren H. KTW: That's an excellent question.
Bebop: Any word if VH1, BET, Nick, MTV are going to be added ever?
(24DrDcb) Darren H. KTW: We did not launch all of the HD channels into the Absolute and Turbo packages, but that does not mean that they will not be.
(24DrDcb) Darren H. KTW: I don't know when, but it is possible that you could see those channels in the near future without having to change your package.

--> So basically keep an eye on the Gold + Platinum channel lineup and that's what you can expect for Absolute HD.

So basically keep an eye on the Gold + Platinum channel lineup and that's what you can expect for Absolute HD.
No offense, but you're too gullible.... Please stop taking what you're told by them as anything more than wild-ass guesses. Do another tech chat and you're likely to be told the complete opposite. Then which rep will you believe ?

Your contract with Dish says they can raise your rates anytime they please. They could do it the day after you signed up and there's nothing you can do about it. As for add'l HD channels, especially for HD Absolute customers, we were told too many times that after Jan 1 09, no more will be added. I hate to think that the 3-4 recent Viacom channels will turn out to be Dish's infamous "free previews". :(

No offense, but you're too gullible.... Please stop taking what you're told by them as anything more than wild-ass guesses. Do another tech chat and you're likely to be told the complete opposite. Then which rep will you believe ?

Your contract with Dish says they can raise your rates anytime they please. They could do it the day after you signed up and there's nothing you can do about it. As for add'l HD channels, especially for HD Absolute customers, we were told too many times that after Jan 1 09, no more will be added. I hate to think that the 3-4 recent Viacom channels will turn out to be Dish's infamous "free previews". :(
None taken. I'm merely relaying info and comparing it to what is actually available. They might be coincidental 'wild-ass guesses', but when has that not been true? Perhaps you forgot to read the part where I said what to 'look' for. I didn't say what you are guaranteed, so no need to do multiple tech chats and choose between answers. :(

There are lots of Absolute HD subs who wonder what currently offered package matches most closely with their channels, since their channel lineup is not posted anywhere. The fact that the lineup of "Absolute = Turbo Gold+Platinum*" is helpful for them to know. I didn't know that until last night. So there you have it. Take it for what it's worth.

Every channel added to Turbo Gold + Platinum has been made available to Absolute HD subs. Call that gullible if you want, but it is reality.

---

*Unless my comparing skills have went out the window :)

There are lots of Absolute HD subs who wonder what currently offered package matches most closely with their channels, since their channel lineup is not posted anywhere.
You're right, unless someone archived the lineup from Dish's site before they got rid of it. I think here, EKB: Programming Page, would be a good place though. Maybe if I'm bored sometime, I'll go channel by channel and write 'em down....

You're right, unless someone archived the lineup from Dish's site before they got rid of it. I think here, EKB: Programming Page, would be a good place though. Maybe if I'm bored sometime, I'll go channel by channel and write 'em down....
I know here in MI the only channels I do not get as an absolute sub (vs. turbogoldHD w/platinum) are Encore and Big10 Network

Even if they did archive it, it's out of date. Thanks for the link.

I went channel by channel looking at the TurboGold + Platinum channel availability and I get them all that I should (no Big10 because of location, no Encore??).

I know here in MI the only channels I do not get as an absolute sub (vs. turbogoldHD w/platinum) are Encore and Big10 Network
Good catch. I wonder if that is just Encore channel 340 (9505) or a group or some other channel?

I don't even see ENCOR (9505) on the list of channels in the 'All Channel' guide - and I get Sat 129W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts