HD Absolute - how long?

Up until the end of 2008, we got every HD channel (not counting premiums). What HD channels have been added in 2009 ? And remember, we weren't supposed to get *any* new HD after the end of 2008...
See, here is the thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of that information?! I never received anything stating that no new hd channels would be added to absolute after 2008. I never saw anything like that on the website either. I think it was something somebody assumed at one time and others took as fact. As far as I am concerned, I have an all HD package, and I do expect to receive the new HD channels as they are added.

Last edited:
Here's the HD channels that Absolute HD subscribers can't get, as of today (correct me if I'm wrong):
  1. BET
  2. MTV
  3. Nick
  4. VH1
  5. Fox News
  6. Fox Business
  7. FX
  8. Big10
  9. FuelTV
  10. MLB
  11. Speed
  12. Showtime West ($ Premuim Movie Channel)
  13. Showtime Extreme ($ Premuim Movie Channel)
Plus various RSN & Sport Channels (Add-ons). Some of those aren't even available on E*.

Out of all of those, my household would watch FoxNews and Nick (and maybe a show or two on FX) - so that's not bad at all.

Thanks to 'uncrules' for posting the latest excel file for reference on the last page here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/general...channel-list-dish-network-vs-directtv-22.html

Last edited:
See, here is the thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of that information?! I never received anything stating that no new hd channels would be added to absolute after 2008. I never saw anything like that on the website either. I think it was something somebody assumed at one time and others took as fact. As far as I am concerned, I have an all HD package, and I do expect to receive the new HD channels as they are added.
I think Charlie/Jim may have mentioned it on a Charlie Chat last year. But I can't confirm that for sure.

Yes you do have an all HD package (even though there are various SD only channels sprinkled in there). See my last post here for what you aren't getting yet that is available nationally. You aren't receiving ALL new HD as they are added. Note: FoxNews, FoxBusiness, MTV, VH1, BET & Nick.

Maybe that will change, who knows.

I think Charlie/Jim may have mentioned it on a Charlie Chat last year. But I can't confirm that for sure.

Yes you do have an all HD package (even though there are various SD only channels sprinkled in there). See my last post here for what you aren't getting yet that is available nationally. You aren't receiving ALL new HD as they are added. Note: FoxNews, FoxBusiness, MTV, VH1, BET & Nick.

Maybe that will change, who knows.
Yeah, I know I don't have the fox's or all of the viacoms (I think SPEED is not available to anyone at the moment), but I think we should get them when/if they are added to turbo packs. It just makes me uneasy when everyone talks about how we shouldn't be getting anything. If I get a good deal on a cell phone plan and then shortly after they get rid of that promotion in favor of another it doesn't mean they stop taking care of my service simply because no one can sign up for it anymore.

The Absolute package was originally call the HD Stand-alone Package. In the March 10th Charlie Chat in 2008. One slide said that this pack would get all new HD channels added in 2008 for 29.99.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=22657&d=1205199945
That looks like 38 channels without the PPV/VOD to start. And even with Voom going away - we have 50 now. I think they are doing a fine job supporting Absolute HD and I'm not concerned about it. I'd really just like to see how they consider it compared to the other packages now.

Here's the HD channels that Absolute HD subscribers can't get, as of today (correct me if I'm wrong):
  1. BET
  2. MTV
  3. Nick
  4. VH1
  5. Fox News
  6. Fox Business
  7. FX
  8. Big10
  9. FuelTV
  10. MLB
  11. Speed
  12. Showtime West ($ Premuim Movie Channel)
  13. Showtime Extreme ($ Premuim Movie Channel)
Plus various RSN & Sport Channels (Add-ons). Some of those aren't even available on E*.

Out of all of those, my household would watch FoxNews and Nick (and maybe a show or two on FX) - so that's not bad at all.

Thanks to 'uncrules' for posting the latest excel file for reference on the last page here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/general...channel-list-dish-network-vs-directtv-22.html

of those channels, what are the TurboHD'ers getting, and at what levels? it sounds like they're the ones getting screwed by charlie

Thanks. I guess it pays to look at the whole guide sometimes! DOH!

I always liked that channel. But not enough to pay for the top tier to get it. Oh well, I suppose I can enjoy it during the free preview then bye bye!

Absolute forever for me!! Or until Charlie decides to take it away. :(

of those channels, what are the TurboHD'ers getting, and at what levels? it sounds like they're the ones getting screwed by charlie
They get the same as AbsoluteHD subs, except for some odd-ball setups as we've seen here. Like someone switched from Classid + HD to Turbo and some of the channels they 'shouldn't' be getting are still showing up.

what is deal with BET ? some people are claiming they are able to get it after Tech chat, has anyone able to add it after talking to tech.

If you live in certain parts of Big Ten states, then Big Ten net is in Turbo Silver or Gold. If you have Turbo Gold you can get Encore HD without subscribing to the Starz pack. Plus, in either Silver or Gold, you also get your RSNs (Full Time in SD and Game time in HD) That, is the programming difference between Turbo and Absolute.

You can get premium movie channels & Locals - so I don't see why you can't get the supers. Call and ask - or better yet do an online chat. That way you can get it in writing from a CSR that it won't kick you out of Absolute HD.

Can anything be added Absolute besides the locals? Can I get the superstation package?

I dropped the Superstation package when I changed over to Absolute but it came back 2 months later when one of my kids wanted to watch something on one of the channels and since it was a channel you only have to select to subscribe to, it was added back onto my account but did not affect my Absolute subscription.

...or better yet do an online chat. That way you can get it in writing from a CSR that it won't kick you out of Absolute HD.
"in writing" or not, I think the consensus is that once you lose it, it's gone for good. Even if they make a mistake, they don't have to undo it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts