HD/BD copy protection blues...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Good. PowerDVD has held us all captive for awhile.
I believe it is a temporary solution until there is a better understanding of the new audio/video codecs.
And assurance both, AACS and BD+, are broken for good.
How long did it take them to play BD+ titles? They enforce that stupid HDCP connection crap.
HDCP is enforced by AACS that is routinely broken in the first few days after renewal (for the 4th time already).
So, you have to have an expensive monitor, an expensive video card, an expensive sound card...
Actually, a full scale HTPC, playing everything including HD/BD is around $700 today, counting the combo HD/BD drive for $300...
Yes, there are still issues with hidef audio.

Diogen.

3. Although there was never an official announcement, many in this hidef hobby believed that the ICT
(Image Constraint Token - cutting the vertical resolution of hidef DVD's in half to 540p when playing over analog out)
won't be implemented for years... This turned out to be wishful thinking. Some German hidef DVDs use ICT.
ICT - Image Constraint Token removal? - SlySoft Forum
According to Amir, this was not intentional, ICT is still a no-show.
Just got confirmation that this was indeed an authoring/production mistake and the flag was NOT intentionally set. A new production run will correct this.
AVS Forum - View Single Post - Industry Insiders Master Q&A thread IV: ONLY Questions to Insiders

Diogen.

The latest AnyDVD HD 6.3 seems to have done away with AACS for good (as it stands at v.4).
No released movie - HD and BD - should have problems to be ripped and played back from the hard drive.
AnyDVD HD 6.3.0.0 released - SlySoft Forum

BD+ is the last obstacle left...

Diogen.

Has anyone developed a usable HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playing solution for Linux yet?

Has anyone developed a usable HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playing solution for Linux yet?
If you mean playing the original disc, then the answer is "No", and most probably never will be.
AACS (and BD+) will never be licensed for the purpose of writing an open source player - it would violate the very reason those were introduced...

If you mean playing the ripped (and stripped off AACS protection) movies from the hard drive - it is doable.
It would probably require some more time to develop more efficient decoders (and maybe even use DXVA) but there is nothing left that would make this impossible.

Diogen.

Yeah, yeah, I know this is an old post I'm responding to but the whole thread was just bumped up....

Slysoft is an Antiguan company and a lawsuit in US courts means nothing to them.

But such a lawsuit could make travel outside of Antiqua difficult - especially to the U.S.

Slysoft is an Antiguan company and a lawsuit in US courts means nothing to them.
Unless the USA decides to declare war or something... Political maneuvering did help to shut down AllOfMP3.
But I think US businesses have too much interest in that area as-is to allow any interference.

Sony could try something like... not selling their products there. But it doesn't look it would be in their interests either.
Sony's ego got so bruised (to keep it in printable words) after DVD-Jon was tried and aquitted - twice! - for inventing DeCSS,
they are only capable of hunting and shooting down individual developers and try everything possible to conceal their involvement.
Showing up during the day in the courtroom? C-mon, even they know there must be a non-zero chance to win that thing...

Business as usual...

Diogen.

Unless the USA decides to declare war or something... Political maneuvering did help to shut down AllOfMP3.
But I think US businesses have too much interest in that area as-is to allow any interference.
Diogen.

The US was able to put pressure on AllOfMP3 because they were clearly violating international copyrights, and if Russia wanted to be part of the world trading community it had to act. Slysoft on the other hand is not breaking any copyright laws. They are not distrubuting any copyrighted materials that are not their own.

Slysoft on the other hand is not breaking any copyright laws. They are not distrubuting any copyrighted materials that are not their own.
Would I love this to be the case...:D
Two software programs - doing exactly the same as AnyDVD - were shut down by Sony sending their developers Cease and Desist letters.
Are you saying those guys over-reacted and should have shown Sony the finger? What about DMCA?

Diogen.

Would I love this to be the case...:D
Two software programs - doing exactly the same as AnyDVD - were shut down by Sony sending their developers Cease and Desist letters.
Are you saying those guys over-reacted and should have shown Sony the finger? What about DMCA?

Diogen.

Those companies were operating in the USA, where it is against the law to make and distribute copy protection breaking software. Strangely enough courts have not held that it is illegal to use said software yet... The DeCSS was viewed as free speach if you got the source and compiled it yourself.

There is no doubt they are skirting US law by operating in another country. I do no think that congress will deem this important enough to meddle with and try to pass new laws like they did with the internet gambling. The content holders are lucky enough to have gotten DMCA into law as it is, and not having it challenged enough by the courts. It is a cat and mouse game.

Gee - you're sure this isn't just more FUD? :haha:haha:haha

The stable version 6.4 that handles BD+ is out
AnyDVD (HD) 6.4.0.0 - SlySoft Forum

I like this
- New (Blu-ray): Removes the BD+ protection from Blu-ray discs!
(for increased compatibility with titles released by Twentieth Century Fox :) )

Would be interesting to see Talkstr8t "shocked" face...:)
Nothing's unhackable, but I will be shocked if BD+ is compromised in a meaningful way within the next few years
http://www.satelliteguys.us/hd-dvd-...-before-studios-abandon-ship.html#post1100435

Or Richard Doherty's - one of those beloved by the Blu crowd analysts:
BD+, unlike AACS, which suffered a partial hack last year, won't likely be breached for ten years.
Analyst claims BD+ is impenetrable for ten years, hackers chuckle - Engadget HD

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)