HD Boxes: 0 For 3!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chasfh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I first got HD from D*TV in early 2004. I got the Samsung box. Before long, it got buggy -- it would freeze on channels, especially when I surfed empty channels such as those within the MLB EI ghetto, or it would fail to load info headers, and I would have to reboot the thing. I went through this maybe a couple times a month.

We put up with this for a couple of years, until last month when it was happening twice a week or so, getting to be intolerable. We figured it was time for a new box.

So I negotiated a sweet deal with D*TV to get HD DVR. They sent two local guys over to install it, and it worked great. I loved it.

Until two days later, and it froze up too.

After three freeze-ups in the first week, I called and asked for a new box. They resisted at first, but decided they could not ignore a faulty equipment issue, so they caved in and Fed-Exed me a new box.

I set up the new one, sent back the old one, and traveled for the week, tivoing some shows in the process. When I came back for the weekend and tried to watch my tivoed shows, I found that the recording function was faulty (pixeled pictures, choppy audio) -- and in fact, when I press back (going back six seconds), same problem.

So now, tomorrow, I have yet another box coming to replace yet another faulty box.

So far, that makes me 0 for 3 in HD boxes. All of them had operational problems. None of my D*TV SD boxes ever had any problems.

Is this a common experience? Or am I just really unlucky?

I first got HD from D*TV in early 2004. I got the Samsung box. Before long, it got buggy -- it would freeze on channels, especially when I surfed empty channels such as those within the MLB EI ghetto, or it would fail to load info headers, and I would have to reboot the thing. I went through this maybe a couple times a month.

We put up with this for a couple of years, until last month when it was happening twice a week or so, getting to be intolerable. We figured it was time for a new box.

So I negotiated a sweet deal with D*TV to get HD DVR. They sent two local guys over to install it, and it worked great. I loved it.

Until two days later, and it froze up too.

After three freeze-ups in the first week, I called and asked for a new box. They resisted at first, but decided they could not ignore a faulty equipment issue, so they caved in and Fed-Exed me a new box.

I set up the new one, sent back the old one, and traveled for the week, tivoing some shows in the process. When I came back for the weekend and tried to watch my tivoed shows, I found that the recording function was faulty (pixeled pictures, choppy audio) -- and in fact, when I press back (going back six seconds), same problem.

So now, tomorrow, I have yet another box coming to replace yet another faulty box.

So far, that makes me 0 for 3 in HD boxes. All of them had operational problems. None of my D*TV SD boxes ever had any problems.

Is this a common experience? Or am I just really unlucky?

Unlucky. I've had two HR20-700's for almost a year with nothing like that. I've also had a R15, it had to be replaced when it started to blow out the smart cards, new box OK, just the 'normal' R15 problems.

Could it be that your dish needs aligned? If you are getting pixelation, your signal might be weak. Go to Menu-> Settings-> Setup-> Satellite-> Signal Strength. Make sure most of your numbers are above 70. It is okay if you see 2 or 3 zeros. It is common to see zeros. Check all sats.

Well you did not mention where you are located, the only reason I ask is because we need addl. info, such as What type of channels are you having this problem ?
SAT , OTA , Locals , D* delivered locals or OTA ?
Mpeg 2 channels or MPEG4 channels.
D* has had some trouble with some mpeg 4 signals in cities that are just started up, Detroit Boston , Atlanta come to mind, D* made adjustments and I believe they are all working well now.

Also :welcome to the site.

No it is not a common problem to have this happen with 3 different boxes.
As directvfreak mentioned, what kind of signal do you have ?
I would hope you have the 5 lnb dish set up already.
Any splitters, barrels switches in the senario ? Are they straight runs from the dish to the rec's ?

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)