HD Channel Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jnj

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
NV
I get a message that reads searching for signal (771) on all the new hd channels, 72 & 73 - the orginal ones come in fine. These only seems to happen in the evening and at night. Has anyone come across this. I rebooted the receiver, changed out the bbc converter that does not work.

RE: Error 771

I experienced this problem on only a FEW HD channels only moments after a new HR20 DVR was installed. I called customer service and while on the telephone those channels (one by one) suddly appeared. It seems as though the new receiver needed time to acquire the satellites and/or download programming data before they would appear on the screen.

JB

I get a message that reads searching for signal (771) on all the new hd channels, 72 & 73 - the orginal ones come in fine. These only seems to happen in the evening and at night. Has anyone come across this. I rebooted the receiver, changed out the bbc converter that does not work.

Have you checked your signal strength on the new satellite?

No - I have not checked signel strength - what should they be?

No - I have not checked signel strength - what should they be?

80's (hopefully high 80's) to 90's.

You will see a few stragglers that are either really low or zero because those are used for spot beams that are not in your area and/or are not lit up yet. But you should see a majority of the transponders on each satellite with those high readings.

99 and 103a would be the ones where you would potentially have more low readings because they are more for local/spot beam signals.

103b is the one with the new channels, so that's the one you would be looking at in this case.

Sorry - I am new at this. So which transponders besides 103b should I be looking to have high readings.

If you go to the signal strength page, it will give you the option to flip through all of the different satellites. Each one has up to 32 transponders for which it will give you a signal strength, although many of them will show as N/A.

I think there are 5 or 6 satellites total (101, 110, 119, 99, 103a, 103b, I think...). Ideally, you want them all to be high, but you are more likely to see a few low ones on 99 or 103a.

I checked the signals on those transponders and they are low 30-40's. The funny thing is I checked them at night - that's when I seem to have the problem and they were low. I checked them during the day and they were low as well - but I was able to get a picture.
I guess I am calling for a tech.

I checked the signals on those transponders and they are low 30-40's. The funny thing is I checked them at night - that's when I seem to have the problem and they were low. I checked them during the day and they were low as well - but I was able to get a picture.
I guess I am calling for a tech.

Are you diplexing an ota signal? If so, you must run a separate cable for the ota antenna as it interferes with the new Directv hd signals.

No - I am not diplexing at all.

In that case you really need to have your antenna realigned. Those readings are way too low. You should be able to get them in the 80-90 range.

So I fianlly have a tech come out to check out the problem. He asked about 10 questions about what my problem when he called to get directions. Right there I knew this was not up to fixing the problem. When he arrived he started off by telling me the coax cable being used fro my hr20 was not the right one he changed it, he downloaded software for the h20. None of these thigs helped. I told him the problem was the reading on the 103b sat. He said that sat is not used for the new hd channels. He said my lnb might be faulty, but he did not have any new ones with him so he could switch it out. He would put in a work order to have another tech come back on Sunday to replace. Now what?

So I fianlly have a tech come out to check out the problem. He asked about 10 questions about what my problem when he called to get directions. Right there I knew this was not up to fixing the problem. When he arrived he started off by telling me the coax cable being used fro my hr20 was not the right one he changed it, he downloaded software for the h20. None of these thigs helped. I told him the problem was the reading on the 103b sat. He said that sat is not used for the new hd channels. He said my lnb might be faulty, but he did not have any new ones with him so he could switch it out. He would put in a work order to have another tech come back on Sunday to replace. Now what?

Call the install company and make sure it's a different guy that comes out next time. "103b is not used for the new channels," indeed...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)