HD Channels are Launched

Status
Please reply by conversation.
if you have a diplexer then the sat in 2 is NOT working when switching between the new HD channels (for example from 202 to 247). i guess that is what they told me and everything has to be hardwired in (ie no diplexer). to get around this i must goto an "old" hd channel (70's) and then switch to a new one (202) to receive if it is on tuner 2 (which i guess forces it to tuner 1). someone is coming out tomorrow to rewire.

could they be wrong?

Check out the Weather Channel. They have a completely different feed for the HD channel. The graphics are higher resolution. The radar looks great.

if you have a diplexer then the sat in 2 is NOT working when switching between the new HD channels (for example from 202 to 247). i guess that is what they told me and everything has to be hardwired in (ie no diplexer). to get around this i must goto an "old" hd channel (70's) and then switch to a new one (202) to receive if it is on tuner 2 (which i guess forces it to tuner 1). someone is coming out tomorrow to rewire.

could they be wrong?

I'm no expert in this stuff, but it's consistent with what I've seen in other places - diplexer = problems with HD.

Some questions...

Hi, I just registered after lurking for a few weeks and have some questions and issues with new new channels and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it.

First off, back when the 2 test channels went live, I was getting both 9300 and 9301. Also, 498 was saying that my setup was ready and good to go, and I had picture and sound on this channel. Later that night, 9300 kicked out saying I wasnt a subscriber. I figured they were just test channels and saw others here with the same issue, so I let it go. 498 kicked out shortly after but was back the next day and hasnt been gone since.

So this morning I see the new channels are up. I start checking them out. CNN, TNT, ESPN, BTN, Discovery, Science Channel are all great.

However, not a single Starz channel works. The SD ones work fine, but I get the "channel not purchased" message on all of the HD ones. Could there still be a few kinks that need to be worked out? I am a have Premium package so I assume I should get these as I do get the SD versions.

Also, A&E HD doesnt look to be in HD. Is this simply because not every show on A&E is broadcast in HD? TBS HD didnt look HD to me but the only thing on was "Saved by the Bell" so that really isnt the greatest thing to form an opinion on. Does TBS typically broacast everything in HD? I did a quick look at the guide and didnt see the "HD" symbol next to anything.

Are any of these problems a cause for alarm? Should I give DirecTV a call and see whats up or should I give it a day or two to see if things get ironed out?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out that the Weather Channel has black bars on the sides. So does the NFL Network. Neither look to be in HD to me. I check my TV settings and tried switching from 480p thru 1080i on the receiver and that didnt do anything. My TV is set to 16:9 as well.

The only channel I cannot get to work is A&E. Blank screen

Smithsonian is a little pixelly

All other channels work.

Anyone else having a problem with A&E?

How old are you folks? How many times does the same thing have to be posted? Obviously some people here have a real security problem and are some sort of Bulletin Board junkies.
Now on with mine: If I had not been aware of this web site, I still would not know there is new HD. I use Favorites. The Favorites are not automatically updated with new channels. This morning I thought I would see if all of the hype was true. At first it was a ho hum reaction. I then changed my favorites to allow all. There they were. I noticed that Starz has quite a few. I wonder how that will affect sales? Ok, tear into me.

Hi, I just registered after lurking for a few weeks and have some questions and issues with new new channels and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it.

First off, back when the 2 test channels went live, I was getting both 9300 and 9301. Also, 498 was saying that my setup was ready and good to go, and I had picture and sound on this channel. Later that night, 9300 kicked out saying I wasnt a subscriber. I figured they were just test channels and saw others here with the same issue, so I let it go. 498 kicked out shortly after but was back the next day and hasnt been gone since.

So this morning I see the new channels are up. I start checking them out. CNN, TNT, ESPN, BTN, Discovery, Science Channel are all great.

However, not a single Starz channel works. The SD ones work fine, but I get the "channel not purchased" message on all of the HD ones. Could there still be a few kinks that need to be worked out? I am a have Premium package so I assume I should get these as I do get the SD versions.

Also, A&E HD doesnt look to be in HD. Is this simply because not every show on A&E is broadcast in HD? TBS HD didnt look HD to me but the only thing on was "Saved by the Bell" so that really isnt the greatest thing to form an opinion on. Does TBS typically broacast everything in HD? I did a quick look at the guide and didnt see the "HD" symbol next to anything.

Are any of these problems a cause for alarm? Should I give DirecTV a call and see whats up or should I give it a day or two to see if things get ironed out?

There definitely are some shows (a lot of them on certain stations) that are just upconverted SD and won't look great... that's what you're seeing on A&E and TBS, most likely.

Sorry, but I can't help with the Starz issue... probably is some kind of kink in the billing system if you're getting the SD ones, but I don't have those channels anyway.... I would definitely try to give them a call and see what they say - might be a simple fix.

Hi, I just registered after lurking for a few weeks and have some questions and issues with new new channels and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on it.First off, back when the 2 test channels went live, I was getting both 9300 and 9301. Also, 498 was saying that my setup was ready and good to go, and I had picture and sound on this channel. Later that night, 9300 kicked out saying I wasnt a subscriber. I figured they were just test channels and saw others here with the same issue, so I let it go. 498 kicked out shortly after but was back the next day and hasnt been gone since.

EDIT: I also wanted to point out that the Weather Channel has black bars on the sides. So does the NFL Network. Neither look to be in HD to me. I check my TV settings and tried switching from 480p thru 1080i on the receiver and that didnt do anything. My TV is set to 16:9 as well.
If you subscribe to Starz and don't get the channels, I would say a call is in order.

That's what happens when they're broadcasting an SD program on an HD channel (unless they upconvert it, which some will do, causing smaller but still present black bars and fuzzy-looking PQ) - no cause for alarm - tune back later when they're actually broadcasting something in HD....

There definitely are some shows (a lot of them on certain stations) that are just upconverted SD and won't look great... that's what you're seeing on A&E and TBS, most likely.

Sorry, but I can't help with the Starz issue... probably is some kind of kink in the billing system if you're getting the SD ones, but I don't have those channels anyway.... I would definitely try to give them a call and see what they say - might be a simple fix.

In another post soneone said that they could not recieve starzhd, I can t either. They said they called D* and said this problem would be corrected by the Sept. 28

I watched a bit of Chronicles of Narnia this morning in Starz while getting ready for work. The picture quality was really stunning! Even in the big fight scene near the end, there was no pixelization at all!

As far as some programs not being in HD. There are going to be SD programs on some of the channels. "Saved by the Bell' is probably from an old Betacam tape, or maybe even 3/4". Don't expect old (or current) SD programs to be in HD. Most of the commercials are SD too.

Does anyone know where the RSN went? D* had them as a channel coming but they are not showing them now.

I'm also still wondering if anyone knows about Discovery HD Theater, UHD and the HDNet's. From what I can tell they're only still on their old MPEG 2 channels.

Are they coming in MPEG 4 format any time soon? Part of the October rollout?

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Ill call them tonight and see whats up with Starz. If I have to wait a few days, no big deal. Ill live.

Anyways, Im more than happy with what I have so far. Its a shame that I had to work this morning since all I want to do now is go home and watch TV all day.

I'm also still wondering if anyone knows about Discovery HD Theater, UHD and the HDNet's. From what I can tell they're only still on their old MPEG 2 channels.

Are they coming in MPEG 4 format any time soon? Part of the October rollout?

If you want to know for sure, can you cover your 110 LNB?

How old are you folks? How many times does the same thing have to be posted? Obviously some people here have a real security problem and are some sort of Bulletin Board junkies.
Now on with mine: If I had not been aware of this web site, I still would not know there is new HD. I use Favorites. The Favorites are not automatically updated with new channels. This morning I thought I would see if all of the hype was true. At first it was a ho hum reaction. I then changed my favorites to allow all. There they were. I noticed that Starz has quite a few. I wonder how that will affect sales? Ok, tear into me.

If Im D*, I get the channels up and running for AT LEAST a couple of days before I start running ads in USA Today. This ensures NO problems.

If they advertise it and its bumpy the first few days, their Tech Supp will be overwhelmed.

StarzHD 721 errors

Was getting 721 error for the new starz HD channels. First CSR tried to tell me I had to wait till next month. Told 'em that was incorrect, that it was just a billing/auth issue, probably because I have a package that's no longer available. Second level CSR removed and re added starz to my programing, and this fixed it immediately. FYI.

If you want to know for sure, can you cover your 110 LNB?

Not easily... but are you saying that you think the old channel numbers are now being simulcast in MPEG4 and MPEG2?

If that's the case I'll have to take a look at these channels when I get home tonight... I honestly didn't look at them this morning, so I don't know if the PQ has improved.

From what I can tell with ESPN, etc, I should know right away when I look at them if they've changed over to 4...

Not easily... but are you saying that you think the old channel numbers are now being simulcast in MPEG4 and MPEG2?

If that's the case I'll have to take a look at these channels when I get home tonight... I honestly didn't look at them this morning, so I don't know if the PQ has improved.

From what I can tell with ESPN, etc, I should know right away when I look at them if they've changed over to 4...

I would hope they are simulcasting the old 70's channels now in mpeg4.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts