HD Channels are Launched

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now that they fired up the new HD versions I have some problems because my signal strength on the 103(b) satellite is not good - I probably need to repoint the dish. But the receiver is trying to use this new inferior signal on some of the channels (like CNN) instead of the old SD version. As a result, I cannot get acceptable signals anymore on these.

Is there anyway to temporarily disable the channel mapping to the new MPEG4 signals until I get my dish realigned?

Shouldn't you still be able to get to the old SD versions?

I just love how most of new channels say "hd" in corner. like when you're watching History Channel HD, or TLC HD, or Animal Planet HD:D

I have found that to easily check the available HD channels, on the first Guide screen, scroll down to the HDTV Channels section at the bottom. It shows all the HD channels available regardless of favorites settings or whether or not you subscribe to all the channels listed. This is on a H20 so I don't know what other receivers may show. I had the receiver turned off overnight, when I turned it on and checked the HDTV channel guide, they were all (even the 498 converter confirmation channel) listed, and the ones in my package worked. Picture quality = excellent, 103 (b) signal strength = 87- 96, receiver H20-600, software upgrade 0x2024 8/28. I notice the 9300 & 9301 test channels are not listed in the HD guide most likely because they are test channels.

Well I certainly am glad they are finally up, that was a long wait. I do have to say (and I am not complaining) I am very surprised that the MTV HD (MHD) and National Geographic HD were not part of the first roll out of channels. I thought those 2 channels were the ones D* had run some of their previews for in the past, so I figured those would be some of the first ones ready.

Now I need to figure out how to keep my DVR from always being filled (external HDD here I come).

Well I certainly am glad they are finally up, that was a long wait. I do have to say (and I am not complaining) I am very surprised that the MTV HD (MHD) and National Geographic HD were not part of the first roll out of channels. I thought those 2 channels were the ones D* had run some of their previews for in the past, so I figured those would be some of the first ones ready.

Now I need to figure out how to keep my DVR from always being filled (external HDD here I come).

I know u would think those channels would be the first out

Shouldn't you still be able to get to the old SD versions?

OK; I see that the guide lists two versions of each type of channel, for instance 202 shows up twice in a row. Its a little bit confusing as it seems to change channels you cannot just hit the channel number you have to use the guide so that you get the right version of the channel.

OK; I see that the guide lists two versions of each type of channel, for instance 202 shows up twice in a row. Its a little bit confusing as it seems to change channels you cannot just hit the channel number you have to use the guide so that you get the right version of the channel.

Yep - the box is going to tune to the HD version automatically (at least it will if it's working right), because it assumes your setup is correct and you'd rather watch HD...

small question...

Im about to call DirecTV to ask about Starz but I cant find my account number. I think I left my last bill at work. Is there anywhere else I can get it from so I dont have to drive back out there?

I never need my account number when I call. Just the phone number attached to the account. I'm so jealous of everyone. I had a hernia operation. I can't get the hd channels, and I can't get on the roof to realign. I called and my jaw almost hit the floor when they said they will have someone out to my home Between 12 pm and 4 pm tomorrow to check it out. Impressive turn around time!!

I have found that to easily check the available HD channels, on the first Guide screen, scroll down to the HDTV Channels section at the bottom. It shows all the HD channels available regardless of favorites settings or whether or not you subscribe to all the channels listed. This is on a H20 so I don't know what other receivers may show. I had the receiver turned off overnight, when I turned it on and checked the HDTV channel guide, they were all (even the 498 converter confirmation channel) listed, and the ones in my package worked. Picture quality = excellent, 103 (b) signal strength = 87- 96, receiver H20-600, software upgrade 0x2024 8/28. I notice the 9300 & 9301 test channels are not listed in the HD guide most likely because they are test channels.

The H20 will do that but the HR20 will not. It will only show the HD channels in your guide selected.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts