HD Channels On Demand Broadcasting in SD and Streaming On Demand VS Downloading

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rockstead

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Earth
Finally added a Cinema Connection Kit to my MRV, I was so excited.

First thing I do is go to my CBS HD local channel so I can catch up on some missed Survivor episodes.

1. First can anyone tell me the difference between Streaming and downloading, I mean I understand the difference but in real terms but in context of what it means here, because when I'm streaming it's also downloading.

2. What's with these forced commercials I can't skip through? is that because I'm streaming vs downloading or will I always be forced to watch those commercials? Even crazier.

3. What's with the SD? I'm on a HD channel, CBS HD, I press format on my Directv remote and it tells me I'm watching 1080i but it's obviously SD, I googled and other users reported the same thing, the content is SD.

4. I heard you could download 1080P content with On demand, how can I can tell? do they stream 1080P as well?

5. Netflix allows you to set your streaming quality, I set mine to the highest, I didn't see the same setting anywhere on my receiver. Is it hidden anywhere? I want to make sure I'm not missing it.

6. Oh my god, I had to edit this and come back. So I streamed an episode of Survivor, it completed I mentioned above I couldn't Fast forward a commercial, it's worse than that, I reversed something and you can't fast forward at all, anywhere in the episode, it says no fast forwarding allowed.

6. Any general advice using this?

Last edited:
1080p is only on the Cinema, starting at ch 126.

A large portion of VOD is SD only... (disappointing, I know...)

Sorry, I've been a Directv subscriber for so long and I've been putting this off and I've been very happy with Netflix but finally I install the CCK and I'm so shocked on how bad the On Demand stuff looks, SD, really.

Is it me or does even the HBO on demand look bad.

What are they doing to trick the TV from giving me the proper resolution information, typically when I press info on my TV remote or Format on the Directv remote it gives me the true resolution but everything just says 1080i when obviously it is not.

Booo.

VOD comes from servers run by the networks not by DirecTV, and so you get what they provide. Most if not all of the On Demand sites do not allow fast forwarding; again a decision by the networks, not DirecTV. You'll see the same issue if you go to the networks' own web sites.

I don't understand it, Directv should have set a standard for the on demand, I don't care where the feed comes from, as a subscriber to Directv, it's a reflection of their service.

I was so excited to use this, I upgraded my Internet plan but it's almost pointless, across the border the quality seems to be very bad. They can't market this as a product to people that care about HDTV or who have Netflix.

HBOgo app is the preferred way to watch HBO.

I also agree D*'s VOD is terrible.

When I had cable (TW), the networks had HD on demand. Don't know if they still do, but it's apparently controlled by the service provider and not the networks if still so.

While it's disappointing that network On-Demand programming is mostly in SD on DTV, surely done to conserve bandwidth, rarely am I going to use OD watch a program that I could just DVR. Especially with the limits on FFWD some networks require (it's the same for Cable).

The premium channel's OD PQ looks good to me. Barely any difference.

All the premium channels are in HD and rightfully so, we pay extra for that. Since the networks are not HD on VOD and you cant FF or skip, try to keep those networked shows high in your priority list when setting up Series for DVRing. Usually the cable network shows will rerun later, so setting them at a lower priority will likely catch them at a second airing.

Then third level backup is to use bit torrent and download it on the computer. If you have a laptop with HDMI out, then you can connect it to your TV.

Watching The Blacklist in hd from VOD. Not surprised by the excellent pq. Far surpasses my heavily sub channel local NBC.

There is a few cases where DirecTV offers a majority of the content in HD via On Demand yet they still carry the channel in SD. Esquire (1235), Reelz (1238), pivot (1267), MTV2 (1333), Sportsman (1605) and Universal Sports Network (1625) are the ones at the moment that come to my mind.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)