HD channels on SD TV ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outerub

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Michigan.
My parents were over this week and my dad fell in LOVE with the Smithsonian HD Channel. They currently have an HR20 but no Slimline. If I bought them a Slimline to catch the HD feeds and added the HD package to their account they could watch Smithsonian HD Channel in SD with the receiver set to 480i, right ?

Sounds convoluted but they just don't want to spend the cash for a new HD TV set.

Thanks fellas,

UB. :)

I don't think that they could watch the Smithsonian channel without having an HD set. the channel is one of those straight HD channels and so far as I know, there is no SD transmission of it. I think that you would want to check in with Directv to find out for sure.

you can watch a HD channel on a SDTV. I did that for 6 months (watched some HD feeds on a SDTV)

It just may look different (crammed) depending on the setting.

As long as you subscribe to the channel, you can watch it on any TV
HDTV
SDTV
5" portable TV
:)

UB,

Remember they may qualify for free Slimline if they add hd and also free hd extra pack(needed for smith channel ) for 3 months. Depending on how long they been around maybe even some free hd access .

Remember if dtv does not play nice take the drill to them.

Remember, regardless, like Stonecold said, you'll need the HD EXTRA package, just to see the channel. Along with the HD Access ( $10)

I have a H21 hooked to a old Panasonic 36" tube TV using S-Video cable and component audio and I can watch all the HD only feeds with it, I have the IRD set to show HD channels in 4/3 Letterbox, but you hardly notice the letterbox. The picture looks great....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts