HD chimney install help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

balwx

Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
nj
Greetings folks.
Last week, I had a HD upgrade scheduled to replace my existing SD dish. It's a chimney mount (chimney is fairly small). I was unaware of the size & weight of the HD dish, so the nice guys from Directv said that it would not be possible to 'replace' my existing with the new dish.

So my question is, are there any directv approved mounts for a chimney install? I really dont want to penetrate the roof. I uploaded a picture on imagevenue of my setup, but just noticed I cant post a link since I'm new here.

I was really looking forward to the hd upgrade so I'm hoping I can work something out. Any ideas ?

Had a customer make himself one............since he was a steel fabricator it was no problem for him.
He built a band of 1/4 inch steel around the chimney and welded machine bolts to it. The HD mast was attached to the. welded bolts. With the mono poles it was tight.

He said he could make another for around two hundred; heavy to ship!

Joe

Thanks folks for the suggestions. I'm going to take a look at the options.

Slimline chimmney mount. YES!

For the special installer whom wants the best and trouble free mounts please check out ronard.com. Ten foot and fourteen foot 2inch dia. masts are awesome as well I have been using ronard products for years. They are made here in Indiana.

What is the difference in weight between the slim mount & the regular hd dishes?

Please do yourself a favor and do not mount it to the chimney. They are not designed to handle the wind loading a Slimline dish will produce.

I understand your reluctance in penetrating the roof. I'm a roofing estimator by trade. When I had mine installed, I watched how the installer did it and without any prompting or "helpful" hints from me he did a fine job.

I've had two separate installs of dishes and each one has been leak free for over 10 years. The old mount from my original round dish is still there and hasn't leaked.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I'm going to hold off for now. I installed a OTA antenna & am receiving 9 or so local hd channels. So it will work for now.

I'm a Chimney Sweep, and I tell my customers not to install things on there chimneys like satellite dish's or any heavy item's that can blow in the wind they are not set up for that use, and they can damage the mortar and brick's and some cases if you damage your chimney your insurance company might not cover it.

You got a chimney stickin out of the roof doesn't that count as a penetration? Just put the thing on the roof and move on. It's not going to leak.

I'm a Chimney Sweep, and I tell my customers not to install things on there chimneys like satellite dish's or any heavy item's that can blow in the wind they are not set up for that use, and they can damage the mortar and brick's and some cases if you damage your chimney your insurance company might not cover it.

I agree, so thats why I'm not going to install anything heavier on it.

If your really afraid/paranoid of roof damage, why not a house mount or pole mount?

Honestly, I am a little. I have seen many things fail in my 15 years of construction experience. The front of my house faces west. I really dont want a pole on that side of the house.

I was thinking about a house mount on the north side. Would this be possible? Would the mount allow the dish turn to the se?

Thanks.

Honestly, I am a little. I have seen many things fail in my 15 years of construction experience. The front of my house faces west. I really dont want a pole on that side of the house.

I was thinking about a house mount on the north side. Would this be possible? Would the mount allow the dish turn to the se?

Thanks.

More likely, the house will be what prevents the dish from turning far enough to the SE than the mount.

Something to keep in mind is the window that you must have open to see all of the sats. If you need all 5 orbital locations for your programming (99,101,103, 110, and 119), you need a window about 30 degrees to ensure a good signal.

More likely, the house will be what prevents the dish from turning far enough to the SE than the mount.

Something to keep in mind is the window that you must have open to see all of the sats. If you need all 5 orbital locations for your programming (99,101,103, 110, and 119), you need a window about 30 degrees to ensure a good signal.

If the house mount is high enough with enough seeable area, it wouldn't be a problem. But it would hafta be at an area that is very close to the roof, and doesn't have alot blocking it.

If the house mount is high enough with enough seeable area, it wouldn't be a problem. But it would hafta be at an area that is very close to the roof, and doesn't have alot blocking it.

It would have to be above the soffit and eaves then, to clear the roof line ... so an undereave mount might be an option. I was thinking along the lines of an S-tube mount or a standard bracket mount, which would mean that the dish would be too close to the house to turn far enough to the southeast with a north side mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts