HD content won't play on 32-bit Vista

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Source: http://bink.nu/Article8152.bink

Microsoft revealed today that no 32-bit versions of Windows Vista will be able to play back “next generation high definition protected content” (translation – studio-released BluRay and HD-DVD movies).

By far the majority of PCs use 32-bit processors, because despite AMD’s efforts to push 64-bit CPUs into the marketplace early, Intel’s first widely-promoted 64-bit CPU is the just-released Core 2 Duo.

PC users will now have to choose between a PC that can play high definition content (64 bit) versus one that can potentially run older devices that only have unsigned drivers available (32 bit).

“Signed drivers” are ones that have undergone a Microsoft quality-assurance process and received a digital certificate that certifies them as stable for installation on 64-bit Windows.

Microsoft’s move to drop support for playback of studio-released HD movies on Vista is likely to anger the large number of people who were hoping they could use their existing 32-bit PC with an upgrade version of Vista.

The surprising disclosure was made by Senior Program Manager Steve Riley during a presentation on Windows Vista security at Tech.Ed 2006 Sydney today.

“Any next-generation high definition content will not play in x32 at all,” said Riley.

..... By the time that stuff becomes popular, it’ll no longer be an issue because everyone will be running 64-bit Windows,” he said.

Full Story At Source

News Source: www.apcstart.com

More precisely, it is the 32-bit version of Windows Media Player 11, that will not be able to play HD content.
There is still a hope that programs like PowerDVD or WinDVD, that are likely to be bundled with each BD and HD DVD drive, will be able to do that, provided you have an HDCP-enabled video card.

I think it runs deeper than that. 32-bit is rumored to NOT support PVP-OPM, this is the internal Vista protection mechanisms beyond HDCP that will also keep the video details encrypted between the HD/BRay drive, to the PCI/PCI-Express bus to the Video Driver (so "bus sniffers" can't get at the digital data either). So even with that, WinDVD, etc probably won't be able to play as Vista will downrez if PVP-OPM is not present.

sampatterson said:
So even with that, WinDVD, etc probably won't be able to play as Vista will downrez if PVP-OPM is not present.
If you can play HD DVD and Blu-ray discs today on Windows XP using third-party software, why wouldn't you be able to play them on 32-bit Vista using similar programs?

In any case, I am glad I have a 64-bit CPU in my computer. :D

I have been warning about how much Vista is going to cost PC gamers. Looks like games is not all Vista is going to mess with! M$ wants you to not only want to but have to upgrade to Vista if you want to play the newer games with better graphics -- now they want you to upgrade to the 64 bit version(now we are talking hardware) to play HD movies. Man, I hope the wife comes thru with the promise to buy me a new computer this Xmas!

Pentium Ds do 64bit... So, a lot more have 64 bit. But, it is really a minor point, for most people will have to upgrade the computer anyways to get it fast enough to handle it.

mike123abc said:
Pentium Ds do 64bit... So, a lot more have 64 bit. But, it is really a minor point, for most people will have to upgrade the computer anyways to get it fast enough to handle it.
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking too, looking at Vista hardware requirements: 1GB RAM, 128MB video that runs Windows Aero 2, 40GB HD, etc., etc. :eek:

Vista is pathetic....hope the internals are better than XP and hope the betas are loaded with debug code since it runs so slow (even on my Athlon dual core 64 bit system...tried the 64 bit ver too...I do like the new shell and I have that running on my XP setup (`3RD PARTY SHELL AND SOUNDS)..They stole their gadget thing from Apple's Widgets...geez...what a mess MS is! ONLY took 1.5 hrs to install it too (and I do have 2 g of Mem and a HS drive too!) CRAPWARE AGAIN!

I plan on dual booting three separate systems :p I am going to reinstall XP on a thrid partition on my hard drive and then install both the 32 and 64 bit systems on my computer also on separate hard drive. Vista has been looking very sluggish in the all varieties of builds (debug software or not) The only thing I am looking forward too is Areo Glass.

I don't believe beyond the promise of Areo Glass there will be no compelling reasons to upgrade from XP anymore. Microsoft started with so many promises they are left with just a fancy looking XP with more copywrite protection.

Good going Bill!:mad:

I have two questions:

1) Are the HDCP-compliant video cards out? If so, who is making them?

2) Totally ignorant on HD DVD/Blueray, but.... how would you play these disks on a pc? I am thinking that my 16X Dual Layer DVD Burner obviously can't play a HD DVD. So is the video input through a HDMI port on a video card? Which brings me back to question 1!

Finally, a comment...

As far as Vista goes, I think I will pass on it for quite some time. XP is working fine; it does everything I need; and I have all of the software I want - right now. Someone will probably need to remind me of this statement when it actually comes out, but with thee desktops and a laptop all on XP Pro right now, the thought of a major system OS upgrade is daunting! :eek:

I've been beta testing Vista 32 bit and 64 bit with regard to the Media Center functions and its a not ready for prime time. In fact, performance has been in short, bad. I know its still beta but the interface is not as good as 2005 (Media Center) and I couldnt get things to work well. Forget finding drivers for 64 bit too. I also hooked up Xbox 360's and that was a dissaster. It worked but oh my gosh it was like pulling teeth to navigate. Video wouldnt play back. And Japanese Xbox 360's dont work connected to a US machine. 2005 Media Center does.

I will be sitting by until Vista is out for a year or 2 before I consider. And I wouldnt recommend to anyone to put this OS on anything manufactured this year or past. I would wait until next year for the latest hardware that can keep up with the OS in 2007.

Last edited:
I tried VISTA and the thing boots and runs slower then anything I have ever seen.. Man they better not release this thing the way it is now.

rockymtnhigh said:
I have two questions:

1) Are the HDCP-compliant video cards out? If so, who is making them?

HDCP-enabled video cards available already:

All GeForce 7950GX2 cards
MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256EHD
MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD
Sapphire X1600 Pro HDMI (model# 100167L)

Coming soon:

PowerColor X1600 PRO HDMI
ASUS EAX1600PRO/I/256MB
ASUS EN7600GT/HTDI/256MB
MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus
Gigabyte GV-NX76G256HI-RH

See here for details.

Totally ignorant on HD DVD/Blueray, but.... how would you play these disks on a pc?
You need a Blu-ray or an HD DVD disc drive. No, regular DVD Burners have a red laser: they will not play the new HD formats.

Is there still a problem playing since neither HD DVD group has activated the content protection flags?

I assume an HDCP video card is also NOT needed unless the downrez flag is activated (currently, component out is functional without down-rez).

I doubt we'll see any flagging unless copying the component out becomes a problem.

Vista - games/performance.....

Man, Deja-Vu. Didn't I read this thread when XP was released? Yep, every release of Windows has required a faster computer to drive it. Is that really a surprise?

Ilya said:
HDCP-enabled video cards available already:

All GeForce 7950GX2 cards
MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256EHD
MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD
Sapphire X1600 Pro HDMI (model# 100167L)

Coming soon:

PowerColor X1600 PRO HDMI
ASUS EAX1600PRO/I/256MB
ASUS EN7600GT/HTDI/256MB
MSI NX7600GT Diamond Plus
Gigabyte GV-NX76G256HI-RH

See here for details.

Thanks Ilya. I appreciate that.

About 22 billion people freaked out yesterday when the word on the internet was that the 32-bit version of Vista couln’t play Blu-ray or HD DVD content. Apparently the developer who made those remarks was incorrect. So, there is no reason to panic, the bundled DVD software that comes with your new HD drive will work just fine.

"The information he provided to that audience was incorrect," a representative told CNET News.com. "Playback is possible with Windows Vista in 32-bit." The decision of whether to offer that support, the representative said, won't be made by Microsoft but rather by the third-party software makers that create DVD playback software, folks like CyberLink and InterVideo.

source

If that's all you want...go here.. FREE Vista like Shell

blueaurora said:
I plan on dual booting three separate systems :p I am going to reinstall XP on a thrid partition on my hard drive and then install both the 32 and 64 bit systems on my computer also on separate hard drive. Vista has been looking very sluggish in the all varieties of builds (debug software or not) The only thing I am looking forward too is Areo Glass.

I don't believe beyond the promise of Areo Glass there will be no compelling reasons to upgrade from XP anymore. Microsoft started with so many promises they are left with just a fancy looking XP with more copywrite protection.

Good going Bill!:mad:

Areo Glass w/ vista shell is available as 3rd party desktop shell!

Goi here: Free and Legal

http://www.crystalxp.net/galerie/en.id.130.htm...The shell is free and not bad...to enable the Glass feature" cost about $20! If I remember correctly and you use another shareware product (I think on the Windowblinds site...read release notes on the Brico pak!...not bad!!!!! VISTA is VERY Poor and If I played the market, I would short MS if they are hanging their hat on thisa POS.

I also have a 64 bit PowerPC based Imac running OSX...sure beats up this Vista thingy! (Also Unix has never crashed on me...Darwin Apple Unix)

That used to be called...WIN-TEL

David_Levin said:

Man, Deja-Vu. Didn't I read this thread when XP was released? Yep, every release of Windows has required a faster computer to drive it. Is that really a surprise?

That was because MS and Intel were sleeping together before DOJ butted in!

THEN ALONG CAME AMD AND BLEW UP THEIR BALLOON!:D :D :D

edit; win-tel

I forgot...Apple was also sucked in by Intel

They dumped the PowerPC due to heat at above 1.5 ghz...I hear the new Intel based Powerbooks get so hot you cannot keep them on your laps! No Kidding...

Intel's entire architec is an antique and is hot as the blazes! Apple should have chosen AMD and I do not work for them either...Just a PC freak!

Class Actions will soon arrive...my forecast!

Last edited:
David_Levin said:

Not really. I have machines that were originally purchased and used professionally on Windows 2000. They've all been upgraded to XP and work great. RAM is important but hardware for the past 6 years or so have no issues running XP. Even with hardware a few months old Vista bogged it down. There's lots of reasons this OS is 2 years delayed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)