HD Deals for existing subscribers

ronmonster

Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
I am a digital home advantage customer and just purchased an hdtv. I called dish to swap out one of my receivers or just get another receiver for hd use and the lady told me to call back in a month??? She said they have no deals right now and the only way I could get a hd recevier was to buy one from a local retailer??? What is the deal with this??

Hi, Welcome to Satellite Guys.

I guess the CSR didn't want to talk to you, but we'll try to help you here.

From what I've read that exact situation seems to be one of the flaws with their lease program. You're stuck wiith the receivers you select when you order. This is pretty dumb and all I can hope for is that one day they address this...

The deal is that is how Charlie likes to do business. It is the leading customer loss leader that Dish has. They seem to feel one they are installed they are God. Incidentally I personally suspect this is the reason that D* has surpassed E* in sub numbers.

... Just so you know I am not trolling, this is the reason I dumped E* four years ago. Also DirecTV has had a superior hardware offering since day one. The downside with D* is there is no leasing option. Which I have never desired anyway.

If you ask me the entire industry is sliding on what they offer customers, including D*, however, they did offer me $200 programming credits if I purchased an HD TiVo, that itself offsets the retail by 20%

Okay this sucks! So pretty much I'm screwed unless I just switch to d* or cable. Does calling and threatening to switch sway e* at all?? Thanks for the welcome, pretty cool site which I plan on visiting often.

If DirecTv had free promos for their DVRs and HD systems, I'd probably go with them as well, but I don't like putting a lot of money up front for a system that will only work with a certain company. So the E* equipment works enough for me for the price of leasing them. (which is the same price if I were to own the equipment with mirror fees)

Welcome to Satelliteguys,

Last I heard "Dishing it Up" promo was still active. You may not be able to swap out exiting leased receivers but you should be able to get a DP811 added. I know people who have been able to exchange their leased receivers. Call back a couple more times until you hear the answer your looking for. Agree you shouldn't have to do this but Dish has multiple call centers and one would think they don't communicate with each other...;) Dish subscribers refer to this as CSR roulette. If you still don't get the answer your looking for let us know.

Jason

ronmonster said:
Okay this sucks! So pretty much I'm screwed unless I just switch to d* or cable. Does calling and threatening to switch sway e* at all?? Thanks for the welcome, pretty cool site which I plan on visiting often.

E* does not respond to "threats" of departure. Funny thing was when I left they asked why, I told them, and they were like "ok." Don't get me wrong, D* by no means offers the best deal on hardware. I would not consider the $699 (net) I paid for my HR10-250 a "value" ... but it was good enough for me. Also, it never hurts to ask. E* is currently the JD Power fav for customer service.

I recently ordered a 811 on the exchage program and am supposed to lease out at $5/mo. Is it true Im stuck with this 811 if I want to upgrade to the 921 when the price comes down? I wasnt planning on staying with the 811 for too long. I havent recieved it yet nor have I activated anything HD.

Are you saying you have equipment you own and you recently got an 811 added as a lease? If that's the case i don't see a problem just sending the 811 back when you no longer need/want it.

slacker9876 said:
Funny thing was when I left they asked why, I told them, and they were like "ok."
You can't make such a blanket statement based on your single experience. Why would they even have a retention department if they make no effort. Clearly, some reps will try harder than others.

When I cancelled, I said the reason was that Dish couldn't *lease* me an HD-DVR. I made it clear to him from the start of our conversation that we have a DVR and can't live without it. :) We recently bought an HDTV and I want HD service. He did say (hint ??) that someday Dish might offer an HD-DVR for lease.... (the 942 ??) 6 months to a year ago, who'd have thought they'd be giving away (lease) HD receivers ??

hall said:
You can't make such a blanket statement based on your single experience.

I didn't; the statement was based upon my experience and mine alone. I just said that E* does not respond the threats of departure, again this was for me, but still holds true based upon what I have read in here. I would hope their policy has changed since I left 4 years ago. I am picky about service, D* has fulfilled my needs, E* didn't ... but that was 4 years ago.

I had a similar experience. When E* asked me why I was leaving I told them because their competitor offered more channels for my buck and their competitor's equipment was less faulty than theirs. All they said was ok.

On the other hand when I was about to get digital cable ordered (the wife wanted HD but didn't want to spend $300 on the HD receiver) I called to cancel D* and they asked me what it would take for me to stay and I said an HD receiver and they were quick to say okay, we will set you up with an HD receiver.

D* has a much better retention department than DISH in my opinion.

I have to disagree about D* having a better retention department. Once again my experience was about 16 months ago. I had been with D* for 6 years and the remote on my receiver was literally worn out. I called D* to see what type of deal they would make me and the answer was none. I called back 2 different times and each time that answer was no deal, pony up the cash for a new receiver or remote. I said I was switching and their response was sorry to see you go. I didn't want to leave but they didn't do anything for me. :(

i just got my second 811 reciever.
the first i bought back in march in the hdtv in a box promo.(which you now get for 799.00 instead of what i paid.999.00). but just two weeks ago i called dish and asked them what i could do to get a second 811. the csr told me there were no promo's going on. so i called back, but this time i went through the technichal department. once the tech menu started i pushed 0. through tech i was able to get the 811 for the mentioned lease price of 4.99 a month. and you are not stuck with it. you can send it back anytime. they'll even send a box with postage paid up front. the do want to pay 24.95 up front with a credit card but you are not required to sign up for autopay. if you have a reciever you would be willing to trade in then they will give you back to 24.95. i traded in the old model 3000 and they did in fact refund the 24.95.and i didn't have to resign for another commitment.
just thought you guys might want to know how i

Well I've called and called and i'm told there are no upgrades available for hd so the rep told me the only way to get an hd receiver is to buy one from a retailer or switch to another provider???? He actually told me to switch? Oh well I guess i'll switch. I don't want to because I work for SBC and get a $6 dollar discount every month. This is just not right!

ronmonster said:
Well I've called and called and i'm told there are no upgrades available for hd so the rep told me the only way to get an hd receiver is to buy one from a retailer or switch to another provider???? He actually told me to switch? Oh well I guess i'll switch. I don't want to because I work for SBC and get a $6 dollar discount every month. This is just not right!

Let us know what the cost is for switching to another HD provider. Are you thinking of going with DiretctTV?

November E* HD deal?

I stopped by the store that installed my dish several months ago and inquired about stepping up to HD with recording capability. He said that the only thing he had now would cost $600 through him but if I waited until next month (Nov.) that I could get it through Dish for $100! Anyone else heard this?

Yes DirecTv is on the top of the small list. Either D* or Timewarner. Looks like it would cost around $300 bucks to go with D* atleast thru rapidsatellite.com or expertsatellite. Don't know what I will do yet? I'll wait til atleast next month to see if any Christmas deals come about either way. Anybody know anything about TW high def??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts