HD Direct TV @ 2nd home in Mexico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

earlcreek

Original poster
Feb 27, 2017
Az
My primary residence is in Arizona where I have 3 genie boxes for HD service. For the last few years, I have been receiving non-hd signal @ my Mexico home on a standard receiver registered to my primary home and a self installed dish bought on ebay. My wife wants to upgrade to a bigger TV and HD. My question is: will I be able to continue to operate like I have been by purchasing new a new HD dish & receiver and installing it myself? If so, what is the recommended equipment I need and where is the most economical place to purchase it? Thanks!

You can purchase everything you would need at solid signal.com. When you say you have 3 genie boxes, can you tell us the model numbers. There is usually one genie box on an account (HR 34/44/54) and several clients. Typically what most people do is they leave the genie's at home and have an extra HD DVR (HR24) attached and use that to go back and forth. I have seen tons of dish's in Rocky Point and I can tell you that you wouldn't have any issues using a normal slimline and SWM LNB.

Appreciate for your reply. In Flagstaff I currently have a Genie Gen2 HR44-200 and 2 Genie minis C41-500. The receiver I use in Rocky Point is a standard receiver D12-200. I spoke to a tech yesterday @ Solid Signal.com and that bozo told me that they have absolutely nothing that would work in Mexico. Please tell me that is incorrect and exactly what to purchase to make the transition to HD happen there. Thanks!

DIRECTV 3 LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna SWM LNB (AU9-SL3-SWM-B) Is this what I should get from solid signal along with a H24 or HR24 receiver? Then, do I simply ask DirectTV to deactivate the standard receiver and activate the new HD one with no problems?

You will have issues receiving HD signals in Mexico. The beams are smaller and don't have as big a footprint as the SD ones.

If by chance you are Spanish speaking and have any of the Spanish add-ons on Directv, you will need to change the order to a 5LNB dish, not a 3 LNB dish. That is the only thing you'd need to do different in your order. If you don't get the HD signals, well, you tried. It will still work will SD.

I can't help you with Mexico but what I can tell you is that we have no issue what so ever getting Directv up north in Quebec City area when we are up there. I imagine that so long as you aren't super far south in Mexico you should be able to get setup properly with HD just as you are with SD. Worst case you might have to get a slightly larger dish.

Good luck with your setup.

DIRECTV 3 LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna SWM LNB (AU9-SL3-SWM-B) Is this what I should get from solid signal along with a H24 or HR24 receiver? Then, do I simply ask DirectTV to deactivate the standard receiver and activate the new HD one with no problems?

Yeap that is what you need for @ your Arizona Beach Front Property

H24 is a regular HD Receiver

HR24 is the HD DVR Receiver

Both units will work in addition to your current Genie System

Appreciate for your reply. In Flagstaff I currently have a Genie Gen2 HR44-200 and 2 Genie minis C41-500. The receiver I use in Rocky Point is a standard receiver D12-200. I spoke to a tech yesterday @ Solid Signal.com and that bozo told me that they have absolutely nothing that would work in Mexico. Please tell me that is incorrect and exactly what to purchase to make the transition to HD happen there. Thanks!

He is incorrect as you know first hand experience that your D12 works in RP

Just look around for all the American Bars and Restaurants they have American Satellite Equipment in RP

You get your locals channels out of Phoenix and that market use an SL-3 LNB either SWM LNB or Legacy LNB will work with the H24 Receiver

Another HD Receiver is the H25 but only works with a SWM LNB

The guy from Solid Signal is just covering his a $$ as they cannot ship to Canada or Mexico.
Just get the recvrs to your US home address, activate them.there, then move what you need to Mexico.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
Thank you everyone for all your wisdom and advice. I wanted to make sure I was getting something that would work before I pulled the trigger and have very limited knowledge of the equipment & technology.

The guy from Solid Signal is just covering his a $$ as they cannot ship to Canada or Mexico.
Just get the recvrs to your US home address, activate them.there, then move what you need to Mexico.
In fairness though, the S.S. rep might have thought you wanted satellite equipment for legal pay TV reception in Mexico such as the "SKY Mexico" service or something which they don't sell.

Since as an official third party seller for DIRECTV, S.S. is not really allowed to discuss anything which violates DIRECTV's TOS policies such as reception of their service anywhere outside U.S. territory

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

You will have issues receiving HD signals in Mexico. The beams are smaller and don't have as big a footprint as the SD ones.

Not in rocky point. He's practically in Arizona / California. They guy at Solid Signal won't discuss getting anything in Mexico but the signal quality is the same as putting up a dish in Yuma, AZ. A normal slimline dish will work without any issues.

I didn't realize how far north he is in Mexico.

I know that we have DirecTV at both our U.S. & Canadian homes and even our locals surprisingly come in @80% signal strength in Canada. It's funny how some dealers will ship out of country and some won't. A few years ago we were up at our Canadian home and I was having issues with a dead HR22, so I called up my local dealer and was going to have him put a HR24 aside for pickup 2 weeks later on our way back home to Minot, but he said he would happily overnight it to me up in Canada, so he did and that was that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)