HD dumb question please don't rip me...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

old rat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Okay, If I would get HD from D* does this intitle me to a national HD feed from the networks? I went to the D* home and it says GET DIRECTV HD and watch the networks but then it says on an antenna... what exactly are you getting? thanks for the response to an ignorant post... old rat...

Please ignore Vurbano, we do sometimes.;)

You probably won't be able to get national networks from D* unless you truly live in a white area or in an O&O.

Otherwise, you will need to put up an antenna. All D* HD boxes have an ATSC tuner which will alllow you to receive local digital/HDTV channels if available.

Go to Antennaweb.org and plug in your zip code and it will tell you what channels are available and what type of antenna you need.

Good luck.

It depends where he lives. If he lives in NY or the LA area, or lives in one of the markets with the AT9 rolled out, he can get HD networks.

AT9 is rolling out nationwide 2/6/06 so that statement isn't going to be valid for long. Currently Directv's MPEG4 local networks is limited, in Dallas only NBC,CBS and FOX are offered the other 13 OTA aren't available.

old rat said:
Okay, If I would get HD from D* does this intitle me to a national HD feed from the networks? I went to the D* home and it says GET DIRECTV HD and watch the networks but then it says on an antenna... what exactly are you getting? thanks for the response to an ignorant post... old rat...

Hi Old Rat,

Did you put in your zip code, into the DirecTV Site, to have them determine if you would get you local channels???

If you have a High Def Television, DirecTV has the best HD, (in my humble opinion) quality available. And the Local Channels are OK in the Los Angeles DMA, but the Off Air Antenna Broadcasts are true 1080i and will be better in the future. The Local HD Broadcasts on the Satellite are approx 780i...

If you call your local Dealer (Not the DirecTV 800 number), then they will be able to help you and give you better information than DirecTV... The Local Satellite Dealers will always know more than anyone at DirecTV or Dish Network, because they are better informed about your area.

well this sounds like....

This really sounds like I am paying D* FOR NOTHING. ... I could get my own antenna any time I want to.. This sounds like a rip off to me.......

I currently get the national feeds... But locals have just been brought into my area... I want to stay with the national feeds.. When D* offers my locals in HD then I should pay them.. why pay them for nothing at all...

plus I could NOT Get my locals by antenna.. I am in a situation that is truely surrounded by high bluffs.. .

I had to fight to get my CBS... When D* finally did a test after 9 months of battles, the tester could not believe how LOW on the meter my CBS was even though I supposedly live in a Low A high B area... Phenomally low because of the IRON in the surrounding bluffs..

old rat said:
This really sounds like I am paying D* FOR NOTHING. ... I could get my own antenna any time I want to.. This sounds like a rip off to me.......
I currently get the national feeds... But locals have just been brought into my area... I want to stay with the national feeds.. When D* offers my locals in HD then I should pay them.. why pay them for nothing at all...

no its not a rip off, if you want hd you have 2 options for now until both DBS providers full roll out to every DMA HD Locals, either cable or OTA, and seeing how you have allready tried the OTA route (which makes me wonder as well why you started the post) then i dont see why you couldent get a waver from your local stations to allow you to get either the LA or NY feeds of those stations. it might take a lil time to work it out, but as you have said, CBS has allready proven your point on your inability to get the feed OTA. I recomend you go ahead and sign up and forgo the OTA attenna offer they might sugest, and inquire about getting wavers, then do your work and see where it goes....Sooner or later both DBS providers will have ur locals in hd in your area, since i dont know where you live i cant say if it is available or not now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts