HD-DVD Advertising Being Pulled?

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
The KQRS Morning radio show here in MN has been running HD-DVD ad spots and endorsements off and on for the past few months. This morning I couldn't help noticing that one of the listener's segments which was normally, "brought to you by HD-DVD, the look and sound of perfect" was now just, "brought to you by Toshiba America". Anyone else heard or seen any advertising changes?

The KQRS morning show is one of the highest rated local radio shows in the nation so I'm sure these advertising spots are expensive and important for Toshiba.

Toshiba is waving the white flag -- I noticed a release on tv last night that the and HD-DVD was dropped from the add.

It would be hard to pull/alter advertisements that soon after the Warner announcement, especially the TV spot. The radio spot maybe, but it would've taken a quick decision and quick work to coordinate, re-record for Monday morning.

Vurbano, where they show the release date and what it is released on- that part of the ad was missing. Since I had recorded it on my DVR I played it back to make sure that I did not miss the end announcement and sure enough - it was missing. Maybe the TV station cut out the end of the ad?

No one has lost yet except the consumer.

That doesn't really make any sense, does it? In order for the consumer to have lost, HD-DVD would have had to have lost, right? Isn't that your position, that the consumer loses when there's only one format?

I'm not even saying I disagree with you, if that's your position, but if it is the above statement makes no sense. Either HD-DVD hasn't lost and the consumer still has two choices (albeit one obvious one and one pretty lackluster one at this point), or the consumer really has lost because HD-DVD has. Which is it?

That doesn't really make any sense, does it? In order for the consumer to have lost, HD-DVD would have had to have lost, right? Isn't that your position, that the consumer loses when there's only one format?

I'm not even saying I disagree with you, if that's your position, but if it is the above statement makes no sense. Either HD-DVD hasn't lost and the consumer still has two choices (albeit one obvious one and one pretty lackluster one at this point), or the consumer really has lost because HD-DVD has. Which is it?

Just for clarification: do you want the which is it in reality, or the which is it in Vurbanoreality?

It makes sense unless you are very simple. Warner going BD hurts HD DVD, the most consumer friendly format. Now Ive made the response very short and simple.

U N D E R S T A N D ????

It makes sense unless you are very simple. Warner going BD hurts HD DVD, the most consumer friendly format. Now Ive made the response very short and simple.

U N D E R S T A N D ????

Actually, this response is much longer than the one on which I originally commented, but thank you for clarifying your position. Of course, now that I know what you were actually trying to say, I disagree with you... :D

National ads can be replaced in less than 24 hours notice to networks. It is done regularly. Companies have secret campains and such that they do not release the ads until hours before they are broadcast.

It is quite possible Toshiba is pulling the HD-DVD tags while it negotiates terms with the remaining studios. If Paramount now wants out early, Toshiba will not want to promote Paramount HD-DVDs any more.

I saw a commercial for Planet Earth today after work, and I noticed that the Blu-Ray case was up front. It may always have been that way but I know all the dual format commercials I have ever seen prominently display the HD-DVD version up front. Has anyone seen the Planet Earth commercial before? If it has changed it did not take to long.

National ads can be replaced in less than 24 hours notice to networks. It is done regularly. Companies have secret campains and such that they do not release the ads until hours before they are broadcast.

It is quite possible Toshiba is pulling the HD-DVD tags while it negotiates terms with the remaining studios. If Paramount now wants out early, Toshiba will not want to promote Paramount HD-DVDs any more.
Read this.

Paramount still behind HD DVD - DVDTOWN.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)