HD-DVD Not Dead

Article not a rousing endorsement of HD DVD

But he does point out a few good things. Bottom line, for those who don't care to read the whole article:
"In other words, Toshiba, the HD DVD Promotion Group, and Microsoft can talk all they want about interactivity and in-movie experiences, but the only way HD DVD is winning this war is on price. As it stands, this is a race to the bottom, and the more I look at it, the more I realize that I was wrong to think that a format war was bad. We need these guys to beat each other up. We need Toshiba and Microsoft to push Sony and its allies to make better and cheaper Blu-ray players. We need Universal to stay red. We need this war, folks. Give it a chance."

Hard to disagree with.

I've liked to think that when the format war is over, people will hop off the fence and there will be a big boost in sales. In reality, I must admit it won't likely be much of a boost. Price declines and big title issues, as well as war's end, will be needed. People will start seeing how much of a premium over a regular DVD player the high def player is, and make a decision. How much is it worth to see that next big Sci-Fi movie in it's maximum glory?

But unless something really positive for HD DVD happens in the next 3 months or so, or something really negative for Blu-ray, I'm afraid it's all but over for HD DVD. Like a dead snake, it moves when you hit it with a stick, and it maybe even bites you, but it's still dead and will soon stink.

But he does point out a few good things. Bottom line, for those who don't care to read the whole article:
"In other words, Toshiba, the HD DVD Promotion Group, and Microsoft can talk all they want about interactivity and in-movie experiences, but the only way HD DVD is winning this war is on price. As it stands, this is a race to the bottom, and the more I look at it, the more I realize that I was wrong to think that a format war was bad. We need these guys to beat each other up. We need Toshiba and Microsoft to push Sony and its allies to make better and cheaper Blu-ray players. We need Universal to stay red. We need this war, folks. Give it a chance."

Hard to disagree with.

I've liked to think that when the format war is over, people will hop off the fence and there will be a big boost in sales. In reality, I must admit it won't likely be much of a boost. Price declines and big title issues, as well as war's end, will be needed. People will start seeing how much of a premium over a regular DVD player the high def player is, and make a decision. How much is it worth to see that next big Sci-Fi movie in it's maximum glory?

But unless something really positive for HD DVD happens in the next 3 months or so, or something really negative for Blu-ray, I'm afraid it's all but over for HD DVD. Like a dead snake, it moves when you hit it with a stick, and it maybe even bites you, but it's still dead and will soon stink.

Neither format has garnered 1% of total movie disc sales since inception. You act like BD is beating the pants off of HDDVD. FYI- It's not (0.6% for BD and 0.4% for HDDVD, nothing to brag about). At this point neither is winning and won't until HDTV is mainstream and that is still far down the road. Both formats could be dead snakes.

I have HD DVD and love it, but I think both will be around for a long time. I have a huge colloection of regular DVDs that I enjoy on the HD DVD and I am not looking to replace all of them with a HD version if and when it comes out. Also, my brother just got his first HDTV Samsung 46" DLP and is just now starting to enjoy his DVD player in progressive scran mode! I think there are more people out there like my brother who are just starting to get into the whole HD thing. just my opinion.

Don't forget, shelf space, warehousing and SKU maintenance all cost money. There is economic pressure to settle on one format. People that decide these things look at early indicators. And as a result, we have the Blockbuster and Target decisions.

I have HD DVD but not Blu-Ray but I tell you the Blockbuster and Target decisions along with the title selection will be giving me reason to get BR later this year. I think they are going to win in the end despite HD DVD hanging on for years. There is already enough positive for me to go BR even though I didnt want them to win.

Yes, bang for the buck must include title availability. Desired titles, that is. "What I did on my summer vacation" in 1,000 different indie versions will up the title count without moving the merchandise.

I must say, although I am more down on HD DVDs chances lately, I don't want to see them go away too soon. The loss of that $500 BD player that will now only be sold in Japan, and the introduction of a $2,000 Denon make me yearn for MORE competition, not less. I'd pay $500 for a fairly full featured BD player, especially knowing that I'll buy another, better, cheaper one in another year or two. But $600 is stretching it. $1,200 is absolutely out of the question and $2,000 makes me think only movie moguls, or rich people with home projectionists, will pay that amount.

I know cheaper BD players are coming, but they seem to be snatched away before reaching market, ever out of reach. By the end of September I'll be seething, and actually considering a PS3.

- - - - - -

So, as Beer Connoisseur, do you only consider lagers, or are ales under consideration also?

Navychop, Why not just buy a $200.00 A2 get five free movies and enjoy some HD? If HDmedia format is gone in a couple of years you won't have a lot invested (chances are both will be dead before one is accepted).
The unit is still one of the best upconverters on the market. $500.00 to $600.00 for a gaming console just to play BDs is ludicrous.

HD-DVD needs a major retailer to step up and make them their main HD movie format for XMAS. If more retailers move towards BluRay as their HD movie format of choice it really will not make a differance what the prices of HD-DVD are dropped to.

Right now I can buy BluRay movies as cheap or cheaper on Amazon.com. The only place HD-DVD is smacking BluRay is on standalone prices but that does not seem to be making much of a differance in discs sales -- even with the HD-DVD 5 to 1 release schedule of the last 4 weeks.

Am I alone here in my belief that while driving their prices down to $299 might of been a good thing it totally removed any decent profit margin that retailers might of been looking at? Could this move to be the lowest cost hd player on the market actually cost them in support from the one place they need it the most right now -- retailers right before XMAS?

NO, HD-DVD is not dead but then again -- there does not seem to be much life to it right now either. BluRay has been riding a big wave since the PS3 released in November 06 and that wave seems to be continuing.

I know cheaper BD players are coming, but they seem to be snatched away before reaching market, ever out of reach. By the end of September I'll be seething, and actually considering a PS3.

The PS3 is a great BD player and it seems to have complete upgradeability for now. Why not score one of the 60gbs and wait till early next year for a fully funcitioning BD player (one that will support Java Live and HD interactivity)? That is what I am doing.:cool:

Navychop, Why not just buy a $200.00 A2 get five free movies and enjoy some HD? If HDmedia format is gone in a couple of years you won't have a lot invested (chances are both will be dead before one is accepted).
The unit is still one of the best upconverters on the market. $500.00 to $600.00 for a gaming console just to play BDs is ludicrous.

Oh, it's been a temptation. But the movies I'm most interested in are in BD. I just looked over the list of HD DVD exclusives and only Dune and Monty Python interest me. Granted, we're not big on watching movies, but there are many more in BD that are of interest to us.

And I'd hate to buy a player in a format that might not be supported in a couple of years or so. Or sooner, who knows? I'm sure that BD will survive, doubtful that HD DVD will (in the U.S.).

My TV upconverts reasonably well, so that feature is secondary. Frankly, the ability to play DVD +/- R/RW and DVD Audio are more important to me, as is smooth FF searching.

My wife is finally showing some interest and acceptance of a high def player, since she'd like to own Chicken Little (now on sale at Amazon for less than $20).

The PS3 is a great BD player and it seems to have complete upgradeability for now. Why not score one of the 60gbs and wait till early next year for a fully funcitioning BD player (one that will support Java Live and HD interactivity)? That is what I am doing.:cool:

This appeals more and more. I don't like the "S" word on it, and neither of us are gamers, and neither like the idea of a game machine in the living room. Plus, the thing is vertical - spotting it would take some thought and getting used to. We'd have to get the remote, and deal with two remotes since the Harmony 880 (or any universal) remote won't work with it. But it would likely be, as you say, for only a year. OTOH, it might encourage a visit from the son at college. That, and free food and booze and laundry service.

Maybe you don't like the S word on it but incidence of repair is less then half of one percent. The PS3 is virtually a tank -- very well built and the BD remote is easy enough to use. The speed is what always impresses me -- no wait time -- it just does what you want it to do. Try it you just might like it!

My TV upconverts reasonably well, so that feature is secondary. Frankly, the ability to play DVD +/- R/RW and DVD Audio are more important to me, as is smooth FF searching.
I have Played all of the above (except DVD audio) plus Dvd DL's and DVD RAM discs on my HD D1, FF is smooth ;) how many of you Blu-Ray folks can burn a DVD 5 or 9 from FTA or OTA sources in HD and play it as a Blu-Ray disc like I can with HD DVD?

Then just use it in the horizontal mode. It doesn't have to stand vertical

Is it stable on it's side? Looks like it's curved- or will it stand on edge?

Maybe you don't like the S word on it but incidence of repair is less then half of one percent. The PS3 is virtually a tank -- very well built and the BD remote is easy enough to use. The speed is what always impresses me -- no wait time -- it just does what you want it to do. Try it you just might like it!

Certainly, the XBOX360 failure business is making the PS3 look REAL GOOD. Price seems to buy quality. At $400, it would be a strong temptation. But I am hearing the call from the dark side. Your avatar is most appropriate. I'm going to have to find out if my son plays PS3 at college.

I have Played all of the above (except DVD audio) plus Dvd DL's and DVD RAM discs on my HD D1, FF is smooth ;) how many of you Blu-Ray folks can burn a DVD 5 or 9 from FTA or OTA sources in HD and play it as a Blu-Ray disc like I can with HD DVD?

DVD-RAM! That's of great interest. When I record OTA, other than to one of my DVRs, it's to RAM. This is a great feature, for me! But I still feel like I'd be buying a short term product, and I'd still need to buy a BD player. I already have 3, soon to be 5, BDs. All the same, I think I'll ask what my kids have, if either, and what folks at work have.

...how many of you Blu-Ray folks can burn a DVD 5 or 9 from FTA or OTA sources in HD and play it as a Blu-Ray disc ...
I don't think it is doable yet for a standalone player: it has to have AACS, hence you can do it only if you have an AACS license.
There are different rules for BDAV/BDMV etc. as well as STB/PS3/PC, don't remember details.
Software to do that is quite expensive.

There are plans for this to change...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts