HD DVD on Projection CRT??

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Most of the reviews I have read for HD DVD have been on high end plasma or LCD tv's. I'm curious if anyone has purchased an HD DVD player for a rear projection CRT tv? I have a Hitachi 57S500 unit that I purchased a couple of years ago and I'm wondering how much better the picture would be compared to my 622 Dish receiver or my progressive scan DVD player.

I'm sure it will be a better picture, but will I be blown away as many others on this forum have stated?

I have the 52" RCA CRT RP HDTV (cheap-o unit that was $1000 4 years ago). It looks great! Much better than progressive scan. Much better than StarzHD. Better than ShoHD and TMC HD as well.

-John

I have a Panasonic PT-53WX53 (max 1081i) that I got at Costco a few years ago. The Hd-A1 looks great on it. I actually asked the same question here before the purchase and everyone said go for it. I don't regret it. I've got it hooked HDMI/DVI. Better picture than anything over the Sat. I think its on a par with good OTA. At least it is on my setup. And the upconversion works better that my OPPO which I thought did an excellent job.

There's other threads here about things you can do to maximize the image on rptv's like removing the glare screen and using Duvetyne you might want to check out too (if you haven't already done it).

I have a Toshiba 65h82 1080i HDTV...I have had this set for about 3 years and can tell you that the picture you get from a HDDVD player will be the best picture you can have as of today....I have D* HD,OTA HD locals,the HDDVD picture quality is near as perfect as you can get!!!!!!

Another thing you may want to consider is to black out your inner cabinet with black cloth i done this about 4 months ago ......the black levels increased and the colors have more pop and vibrance to them!!It made it so black that i had to re-adjust my brightness & contrast. I used 3 yards of thick flat black cloth that was bought at Wal-Mart it cost $4.89 a yard..it will take about 3 hours to do the whole project (dont forget to black out the staples with a black permanent marker........

Last edited:
I just purchased my HD-DVD yesterday and have it hooked up to my Sony 46" 1080i HDTV and have to say now I know what I have been missing all these years with Directv. The quality blows away everything else I have seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)