HD-DVD PLAYER $98.87!! at WalMart

ozzy1028

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Tags: Wal-Mart, Toshiba (all tags)
original.jpeg

It's official. After weeks of rumors, Wal-Mart has begun selling Toshiba's second-gen HD-A2 HD DVD player for $198, setting a new low-price record for a stand-alone next-gen player.
Although reports of a rollback for the HD-A2 first surfaced earlier this month, it wasn't until the middle of this week that consumers began spotting endcaps with that magic price cropping up at select Wal-Mart locations nationwide.
ADVERTISEMENT
adlog.php

In an article first published by Fortune Magazine, Wal-Mart spokesperson Melissa O'Brien confirmed the price cut and denied rumors that each Wal-Mart store would stock only 18 units of the Toshiba player, saying "there are no limited quantities for stores or purchases."
The spokesperson would not comment on the retail giant's holiday plans for HD DVD and Blu-ray, other than to say "we know HD DVD and Blu-ray are going to be popular items this holiday season for some of our customers."
Toshiba's 1080i HD-A2 was originally released this past January at a retail price of $499, but is now available at various retailers at prices ranging from $230-280. The HD-A2's successor -- the third-generation HD-A3 -- is due to hit stores November 1 with a list price of $299.
Wal-Mart says the $198 price for the HD-A2 is being offered for in-store purchases only (their website still lists it at $274).

Brutal...
CochiseGuy, you have to be careful in posting something like this,
the Blu boys might have a heart attack...:D

Diogen.

:D

What great customer service at Amazon, first time I've had to use it. I used the Help link on their web site for a call back - you key in your phone # and they call you immediately and connect you to a service rep. They immediately credited the price difference, even though I didn't realize it until a friend pointed it out to me later in a PM that the $361.88 price was through Electronics Expo, not Amazon.

What great customer service. :up

I just saw a Wal-Mart commercial while watching the CBS Early Show that showed the A2. The commercial shows a woman and she is talking about doing great things, and she says she is buying her husband and HD DVD Player, From Toshiba. While she is talking they show a close up of the Player. They don't mention the price, but she says she was surprised by the price, even by wal-mart.
My thought is that a lot of stay at home Moms just saw that commercial and will now be looking for HD DVD, whether at Wal-Mart or somewhere else.

As someone who is generally interested in business (I personally don't care which one wins), I think this is a major victory for hd dvd. I've heard that upwards of 50% of DVDs purchased in America come from Walmart....they carry major, major clout.

It's this Friday at 8am. Some stores are staggering their black friday deals on dates before black friday. Its expected to be a slow shopping season this year, so stores are trying to get $$$ out of the consumers early.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)