Hd Dvr - $349?!

Danton

Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
S. FL
I just switched about 2 weeks ago from D* and am very happy with the programming and better picture quality to say the least. It's also nice to have most of the Voom channels back as I was a Voom subscriber before they went belly up. I currently have a HD receiver on my 65" Mits and was thinking about going with a HD-DVR instead. I called E* and they told me I was looking at $349. Is there a better price available from them or another retailer? $349 is steep! :eek:

Thanks,
Danton

Danton said:
I just switched about 2 weeks ago from D* and am very happy with the programming and better picture quality to say the least. It's also nice to have most of the Voom channels back as I was a Voom subscriber before they went belly up. I currently have a HD receiver on my 65" Mits and was thinking about going with a HD-DVR instead. I called E* and they told me I was looking at $349. Is there a better price available from them or another retailer? $349 is steep! :eek:

Thanks,
Danton

$349?! That's the lowest it has ever been. It's a bargain. I'd double and triple check that quote. Just to rent the unit costs you $199 up front.

Current going prices are $199 to lease a 622, $499 to purchase a 622. If you lease that obligates you to a minimum programming commitment of HD Bronze (49.99/mon) for 18 months.

The lease option includes any new dishes, LNBs, or switches needed to enable you to receive all of your programming. If you purchase the 622, you'll have to purchase an installation or do-it-yourself for any dish, LNB, or switch changes.

Current going prices are $199 to lease a 622, $499 to purchase a 622. If you lease that obligates you to a minimum programming commitment of HD Bronze (49.99/mon) for 18 months.

The lease option includes any new dishes, LNBs, or switches needed to enable you to receive all of your programming. If you purchase the 622, you'll have to purchase an installation or do-it-yourself for any dish, LNB, or switch change

Does that 49.99 include the lease fee also?

I called them again today and they went down to $249 but I'm not sure if that is buying or leasing now that I've been reading some of your replies. It's not like I really need the unit as I have the SD DVR in our bedroom but it would still be cool. ;)

Regards,
Danton

You can get new 625's on ebay for around $200 and some are able to get the 625 for a lease of $50 if you trade in a receiver that you have (activate a junk one then trade it in).

622 for $249? That doesn't sound right. The lease is $199.

Maybe they are charging him $199 for the lease and another $49 for install since he is such a new customer?

Tom Bombadil said:

The lease option includes any new dishes, LNBs, or switches needed to enable you to receive all of your programming. If you purchase the 622, you'll have to purchase an installation or do-it-yourself for any dish, LNB, or switch changes.

Tom, on the Dish new customer sign-up page it gives you an OPTION of choosing either a $50 activation fee and NO contract or free $50 credit and an 18 month contract. Are you sure that if a new customer (or current customer for that matter) wanted to leave after recouping all the credit money (after 10 months) they wouldn't be able to do just that without any penalty? I see no mention of a REQUIRED 18 month programming commitment anymore.

They are giving new customers a special opt-out of paying $50 and not getting an 18 month commitment.

I know for existing customers that take the $199 622 lease that the 18 month commitment is in place, and if you leave early the fee is $13.33/mon times the number of months left on the commitment. So if you left after 10 months, you'd get a $106 bill.

The 18 month contract you just stated that you saw on the page, is the 18 month commitment. You enter into a hard and fast 18 month contract that you would have to buy your way out of if you end it early.

I see, thanks for clearing that up. However, even existing customers still have that "30-day grace period" during which they can cancel and incur no penalty, right? Because looking at the agreement for new customers, it is clear that they have this freedom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)