HD DVR causing TV to turn off?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WrightNReyes

Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
home
The last few days my TV has been turning off every half hour or so when watching on my directv hd dvr box. When I play my ps3 it NEVER turns off. But as soon as I switch to watching on directv my TV turns off within 10 minutes. I've asked around and people have said it could be the box. Is this possible?

It is your TV and not DVR.
My TV (Mitsubishi DLP) likes to turn itself off very often:mad:. It is a manufacturer defect and apparenty they can't fix it.
So check your TV manufacturer website and/or Google your TV model with turns off

if it was my TV then why doesn't my TV turn off when I play on my PS3? It also doesn't turn off when I watch regular cable. But as soon as I flick on the Analog HD 1 which is directv, it goes off within minutes.

I tried putting it in another HD slot to see if it was the port, but it didn't work either.

if it was my TV then why doesn't my TV turn off when I play on my PS3? It also doesn't turn off when I watch regular cable. But as soon as I flick on the Analog HD 1 which is directv, it goes off within minutes.

I tried putting it in another HD slot to see if it was the port, but it didn't work either.

Whats your TV model and how is it hooked up? HDMI? how old is the TV?...could be your cables too............

i have a vizio 32 inch lcd, bought it around 06 or 07

you think it could be bad cables? it makes no sense as to why it only turns off when I watch directv. I've played Ps3 for hours, never shuts off. I put on directv, within a minute it shuts off. even the stand by light goes off for a few seconds. i put on regular cable channels and it doesn't turn off.

Wright,
Move the D* recvr to a different TV and see if it still happens, if NOT, it's your TV.
Are you using the original D* remote or possibly a universal remote that you can program to what you need ?

My parents have the same problem, also with a Vizio.
It started happening as soon as they added DirecTV.
It doesn't happen quite as often as you said, but it does happen.
I don't know the cause, and I haven't looked into it much, but you are not alone.

BTW, it is all hooked up with new cables. Using HDMI connection. 50 inch Plasma.

encountering the same issue, brand new 42" vizio e3d420vx hooked up with HDMI. However I'm not on Direct, Motorola 6416 (cable)....

so why dont you open a new thread in the cable area instead of hijacking an old one in the Directv area?

Does the tv have an auto shut off? This feature will turn off the tv after a set amount of time if it has not received a command from the remote or buttons on the tv.

My Sharp Aquios 20" has a auto shut off feature (No Operation Off). It will shut off after 2 1/2 hours of not receiving commands from the remote or buttons on the tv. To reset the auto shut off timer, all I have to do is press the vol, mute or channel button on the tv or remote. It can be disabled.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

Does the tv have an auto shut off? This feature will turn off the tv after a set amount of time if it has not received a command from the remote or buttons on the tv.

My Sharp Aquios 20" has a auto shut off feature (No Operation Off). It will shut off after 2 1/2 hours of not receiving commands from the remote or buttons on the tv. To reset the auto shut off timer, all I have to do is press the vol, mute or channel button on the tv or remote. It can be disabled.

Well, that would suck, your watching a movie or a game and the TV shuts off, you have no need to use your remote if it's a interesting game/movie, or a DVD ...

I would find out how to shut that sucker off right AWAY.

The tv will warn me the 5 minutes before it shuts off. It will display "NO OPERATION 5 MINUTES LEFT." It will display that every minute until the tv turns off. If the tv gets a command from the remote or the buttons on the tv before the tv turns off the timer resets.

The no operation off function can be disabled. I keep it enabled because the tv is in my bedroom and I leave the tv on when I go to sleep. I don't use the sleep timer because I know the tv will turn off because of the no operation function.

Last edited:
The tv will warn me the 5 minutes before it shuts off. It will display "NO OPERATION 5 MINUTES LEFT." It will display that every minute until the tv turns off. If the tv gets a command from the remote or the buttons on the tv before the tv turns off the timer resets.

The no operation off function can be disabled. I keep it enabled because the tv is in my bedroom and I leave the tv on when I go to sleep. I don't use the sleep timer because I know the tv will turn off because of the no operation function.

Why not disable it and use the SLEEP Timer !

When I adjust the volume because of a loud commercial or program, the timer resets. Also, my RC65 D* remote does not have a sleep timer button, I would have to use the factory remote to set my sleep timer. I can't remember the last time I used the sleep timer.

There is a known issue with some recent Vizio TV's that causes them to shut off on their own. Some people report that it has to do with one or more of the Vizio internet apps. There are long drawn out threads on this subject on AVS Forum. Probably has nothing directly to do with the DirecTV box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)