HD DVR freezing? (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 9, 2006
16
0
This past week the HD Tivo has been freezing and tonight it was unwatchable. It also freezes on regular SD channels, but not nearly as much. I don't have a multiswitch. I have the RG6 Quad cable coming straight off the LNB's to the Tivo. There is 2 barrel connectors outside, but they are under weatherproof cover and look fine. D* wants to charge me $70 for a service call. I've had every channel they offer for the last 6 years. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
30,897
512
Here
Mine did this last saturday and the problem is the hard drive was going bad. As soon as I tried the delete everything on it, the thing just died and I had to get it replaced.
 

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 9, 2006
16
0
ramy said:
Mine did this last saturday and the problem is the hard drive was going bad. As soon as I tried the delete everything on it, the thing just died and I had to get it replaced.

I ordered mine from solidsignal.com and it came with a 5 year warranty, but I'm unsure if I go through them for the warranty or through DTV since it's the DTV's 5 year warranty that came with the receiver. Another thought. I'm making the switch to Dish and I'm getting the equiptment installed on 2/16. Will DTV fix my receiver if it's deactivated? How did you go about getting it replaced?
 

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 9, 2006
16
0
I did a delete and restart tonight. After 3 hours it finally restarted and so far no freezing.
 

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 9, 2006
16
0
Yeah, it's freezing again and it's unwatchable on the HD channels. It doesn't do it very much on the SD channels.
 

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
30,897
512
Here
I bought mine from Best Buy and had to take it back to them.
 

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 9, 2006
16
0
Well, I'm an idiot. Yes the hard drive is toast. My receiver came with a 5 year extended warranty and like a dummy, I didn't send it in. I didn't read the print. When I originally asked Solid Signal what I had to do, the woman said nothing. They would send me the 5 year warranty. I called them today and they said that they would try to talk to the warranty company on my behalf, thinking that they have purchased so many contracts that they may have a little extra power. The CSR told me that normally they don't budge, but if they didn't Solid Signal would try to work something out. If they can't is there any way to buy a hard drive and reimage it from someone elses?
 

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
30,897
512
Here
Virus said:
Well, I'm an idiot. Yes the hard drive is toast. My receiver came with a 5 year extended warranty and like a dummy, I didn't send it in. I didn't read the print. When I originally asked Solid Signal what I had to do, the woman said nothing. They would send me the 5 year warranty. I called them today and they said that they would try to talk to the warranty company on my behalf, thinking that they have purchased so many contracts that they may have a little extra power. The CSR told me that normally they don't budge, but if they didn't Solid Signal would try to work something out. If they can't is there any way to buy a hard drive and reimage it from someone elses?

I am sure you can buy one and image from someone elses, but finding one might be tricky. You can look at the Tivo Community's website and they can direct you to the right area where you could possibly download an image somewhere.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 9, 2006
16
0
I bought a new 250gb Hitachi for $79 and downloaded and imaged it with InstantCake from ptvupgrade. I'm now in business again. The whole process took less than 30 minutes, not including the restart and delete. Couldn't have been any easier. Just put new HD in pc as secondary master, put cd rom as primary master, boot to cd and aswer 2 questions and it prepares the drive. Put the drive back into Tivo, boot up and do a restart and delete. Your done! $99 for 250gb drive and software. The software will also let you set up 2 drives! Hows 640gb worth of Tivo storage?
 

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
30,897
512
Here
Virus said:
I bought a new 250gb Hitachi for $79 and downloaded and imaged it with InstantCake from ptvupgrade. I'm now in business again. The whole process took less than 30 minutes, not including the restart and delete. Couldn't have been any easier. Just put new HD in pc as secondary master, put cd rom as primary master, boot to cd and aswer 2 questions and it prepares the drive. Put the drive back into Tivo, boot up and do a restart and delete. Your done! $99 for 250gb drive and software. The software will also let you set up 2 drives! Hows 640gb worth of Tivo storage?


Sounds good. Enjoy.
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top