HD DVR Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryVolunteer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
I am having issues with my current receiver, an HR 20-700. Can someone tell me what the newest HD DVR is and their thoughts on it? Is it an improvement over what I currently have? I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

Anything else in my opinion is a downgrade from the HR20-700.. All newer receivers do not have the OTA Tuner. You have to get a separate stand alone tuner for the new HR boxes.. The new HR24 holds promise of being better and faster, but still no OTA tuner.. Haven't seen one yet so I can't say that much about it yet.

What is the problem you are having? If necessary Directv will replace it for $19.95 shipping or as part of a service call if needed.

They would replace it with anything between an HR20-HR23. They are almost all the same. Only HR20 has OTA, HR22 up has 500gb hard drive instead of 300/320gb.

I've had four service calls within the last 8 months. It is running extremely hot, cutting off at random times and can no longer keep my programs in memory to record. They all tell me it's time to buy a new receiver. I bought this one new when they first came out. Is the HR 24 out yet? I've been told that it's faster then the 22 or 23

I've had four service calls within the last 8 months. It is running extremely hot, cutting off at random times and can no longer keep my programs in memory to record. They all tell me it's time to buy a new receiver. I bought this one new when they first came out. Is the HR 24 out yet? I've been told that it's faster then the 22 or 23

You don't have to "buy" anything. Jason said it, you only have to pay the $19.95 fee for shipping and you get a new or used leased unit. It should not extend your commitment. (They have been known to do that) If you have the protection plan there is no charge.

I have an HR20 and a HR21. I like the HR20 better. Tell DirecTV you need OTA and they will send you another HR20 or an AM21 for one of the other receivers.

What is the temp that it is running at ?
The HR20 don't usually run all that hot, is the box in a ventalated area, might be time to move it to an open area ?
btw, 120-127 is normal for this box.

What is the temp that it is running at ?
The HR20 don't usually run all that hot, is the box in a ventalated area, might be time to move it to an open area ?
btw, 120-127 is normal for this box.

Jimbo,

I'm curious about the internal temp in these boxes. I have the HR22. What's the normal temp range for this one? Mine's usually running around 106 Deg. I have no issues with the box. It was installaled Oct '08 .

Jimbo,

I'm curious about the internal temp in these boxes. I have the HR22. What's the normal temp range for this one? Mine's usually running around 106 Deg. I have no issues with the box. It was installaled Oct '08 .

Scoop,
From what I have seen is the HR20's ran around 120-127 and that they ran fine at that range ....
From what I recall I think they started to come out with the newer recvrs running cooler than that, the next generation came out next and ran around 105 or there about and I haven't heard many mention the temp of any of the newer ones, what ever they are running must be acceptable seeing it's not being reported with trouble.

Sorry I can't help any more than this to answer your question, but I think 106 is about the norm for the newer units.

I imagine others with newer units will chime in with their temps now that we are asking, then we'll know for sure.

One thing I always found interesting was that MY recvr (Hr20-700) ran COOLER right after a d/l .... 1100-116 then would increase after that.

fwiw, mine is running at 127 right now, early morning and I just got up, but remember they are running 24/7 seeing they have to have a buffer running all the time.

Scoop,
From what I have seen is the HR20's ran around 120-127 and that they ran fine at that range ....
From what I recall I think they started to come out with the newer recvrs running cooler than that, the next generation came out next and ran around 105 or there about and I haven't heard many mention the temp of any of the newer ones, what ever they are running must be acceptable seeing it's not being reported with trouble.

Sorry I can't help any more than this to answer your question, but I think 106 is about the norm for the newer units.

I imagine others with newer units will chime in with their temps now that we are asking, then we'll know for sure.

One thing I always found interesting was that MY recvr (Hr20-700) ran COOLER right after a d/l .... 1100-116 then would increase after that.

fwiw, mine is running at 127 right now, early morning and I just got up, but remember they are running 24/7 seeing they have to have a buffer running all the time.

Thanks for the info!

My first HR22 went bad after about 1 month back in '08, right after I upgraded to HD with DTV. I remember the box temp was running around 115-118 Deg. It was probably not related but my replacement box temp has never exceeded 106 Deg. I guess the difference could have been related to slight differences in thermocouple calibration's in the 2 boxes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts