HD DVR Internal Temperature

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ProWire

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Tennessee
Just got an HR23-700 and I noticed it's running at 127*F, although I'm currently downloading OD content and watching a recording of Flash Forward. Is this normal? The old DVR ran about 115*F on average.

Just got an HR23-700 and I noticed it's running at 127*F, although I'm currently downloading OD content and watching a recording of Flash Forward. Is this normal? The old DVR ran about 115*F on average.

They vary, my HR20's all run between 116* and 127*, so yes, this is normal.
If it goes any higher, I would be concerned though.

Is it in a cabinet or on top of something else warm?

My hr20-100's run at 100 degrees. I did put a little sticky felt pad under each rubber foot to raise it up a bit as jdspencer recommended.

Is it in a cabinet or on top of something else warm?

My hr20-100's run at 100 degrees. I did put a little sticky felt pad under each rubber foot to raise it up a bit as jdspencer recommended.

I believe the -100's ran a little cooler.
Mine is in the entertainment center, but has a big Yamaha recvr on the shelf below it, but it also has plenty of access for air.

Mines currently running at 120* and has been on since around 5 tonight.

Yeah, it's in a cabinet on top of the Onkyo for now. When I upgrade the TV I'm gonna get a new stand with an open front. For now it's trapped behind a glass door. I thought it was a little warm, but I'm just curious if 127 can damage it.

Yeah, it's in a cabinet on top of the Onkyo for now. When I upgrade the TV I'm gonna get a new stand with an open front. For now it's trapped behind a glass door. I thought it was a little warm, but I'm just curious if 127 can damage it.

Sounds like other folks are running them that hot, but who knows what difference it makes to the mortality rate.

Closed cabinet is generally not a great idea. On top of a receiver is also not a great idea.

How fast is the receivers internal fan running? Can you hear it from a couple of feet away? If its audible at that distance, the receiver is running the fan pretty fast trying to keep itself cool. Mine are barely audible at more than a few inches away.

So then your recommendation is to put the directv unit on top of a receiver in a closed cabinet?

It might be that 127 is the highest the thermal probe will register (I honestly dont know) or that the fan is going full filt at that speed and that maintains the probe at ~127 while other components are getting considerably warmer. I'm pretty sure these units all use the thermal probe on the hard drive as the reported measure, and the ones I've seen the inside of have the fan mounted directly under the disk drive.

Therefore, there might be a 'good' 127 and a 'bad' 127...

127 is "normal". If you use an external hard drive, the temps will go down to around 118.

I have mine (HR-22 ) in a small cabinet in my motorhome. This weekend I was having problems with the unit. I checked the temperature and it was 136. Needless to say I moved it to a larger cabinet with more air space and temps down to 113 and no more problems.

After reading this post I checked mine over a period of about 8 hrs.

My HR22 is in an open front entertainment center on a shelf by itself with the AM21 on top.

My temperature is 111 degrees. It pretty much stays right there.

So then your recommendation is to put the directv unit on top of a receiver in a closed cabinet?

It might be that 127 is the highest the thermal probe will register (I honestly dont know) or that the fan is going full filt at that speed and that maintains the probe at ~127 while other components are getting considerably warmer. I'm pretty sure these units all use the thermal probe on the hard drive as the reported measure, and the ones I've seen the inside of have the fan mounted directly under the disk drive.

Therefore, there might be a 'good' 127 and a 'bad' 127...

I DID NOT say I recommend placing it on top of your AV recvr.
I said MINE is. I also said I have PLENTY of ventilation.

fwiw, the temp scale goes above 127*, I have heard others at 131* at one point, but not for long.

After reading this post I checked mine over a period of about 8 hrs.

My HR22 is in an open front entertainment center on a shelf by itself with the AM21 on top.

My temperature is 111 degrees. It pretty much stays right there.

Thats a H21 your talking about ?

Each unit runs differently (model)

No, it's an HR22-100.

As far as I know the -100 is the only HR22 model available.

Did I not make that clear in my post?

My HR21-700 died about 6 months ago and was replaced with the HR22-100.

I DID NOT say I recommend placing it on top of your AV recvr.
I said MINE is. I also said I have PLENTY of ventilation.
I have a shelf between them, but they are in the same section of the cabinet.

fwiw, the temp scale goes above 127*, I have heard others at 131* at one point, but not for long.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)