HD DVR vs SD DVR on Plasma PQ

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I understand the concept bigger tv, worse picture with SD. When I signed up for D* i noticed a degraded picture compared to my comcast which is no big deal and I understand why. I have full faith this is something they are working on and the HD channels next year will make it worth it.

My question is for the time being. I've seen some comments where people have stated they get a better SD picture with the HD boxes than with the SD boxes. I really don't understand this but if it's true is it worth upgrading to an HD DVR now or waiting for the new hardware.

Also, if you buy an HD DVR do you have to sign up for HD service or can you just use it like the R15 until you add hd service.

I'm mainly looking at a little better PQ for the time being if there is a way.

thanks

Yes, it looks a little better... not much though..
Probably not worth the expense if you are not planning to use it's HD capabilities.

best thing you can do to improve picture quality on a large display is to not streach the picture to fill the screen. If you keep the SD on 4:3 ration the PQ is much much better.

I think the H20 I have outputs a much better SD picture than any other box SD/HD tivo or not I have. Not sure why it is but it is noticeable or my 52' projection, 42" plasma, and 27 HD CRT across the board. Tulsa Coker is also right about not stretching the screen for SD also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)