HD feeds being added to Welcome Pack!

I agree, if they do it on January 17, 2016. That is the day price increases are announced, and will offer an opportunity to right size a customer who doesn't want to pay increases and is still in contract.
So, you are saying that a subscriber who currently has a higher package might be happy with a higher-priced Welcome Pack as long as it includes HD feeds. What about those of us who already have Welcome Pack, and do not want a price increase?

The following channels are now listed as being available in HD in the Welcome Package:
  • DISH Studio
  • Comedy Central
  • WE
  • CMT
  • Discovery Family Channel
  • Hallmark Channel
  • Bloomberg
  • Weather Channel
I apologize that our previous response to this thread upset you, however, we did not receive an update about these changes.
In other words, the exact same list I posted in the OP, except that I purposefully left out DISH Studio and included AXS.

Could you please post a complete list of the Welcome Pack channels?
Mojo Jojo, please report to the Welcome Pack thread...

When I try to pull it up on the website I get a screen full of tiles, some that say "logo coming soon" so you can't tell what they are
Just click on each tile, and that will tell you what each channel is.

So, you are saying that a subscriber who currently has a higher package might be happy with a higher-priced Welcome Pack as long as it includes HD feeds. What about those of us who already have Welcome Pack, and do not want a price increase?
No, by no means is that what I said. Price increases happen. As you stated it has not gone up in price for quite a few years, while every single other package has gone up. If it goes up in price, it would still be fair. It would be beyond average life cycle. You'd be hard pressed finding a better deal, still, in most other avenues. The Welcome Pack was never designed as a long term package. It was designed as a price conscious package to keep customers hooked, when they have already decided to leave. Every one of those channels in there have gone up in price each year, but your price has remained the same. Ultimately, if a price increase occurs, and you don't like the price paid, you can search for another provider. If the price is too much, then it may be better to search for an alternative, but let us know what you find.

Reactions: Tampa8
If it goes up in price, it would still be fair.
That is true. In fact, the price increase I mentioned was the first and only price increase since the package was introduced five years prior to that, in 2008. That is an average of a $1 per month increase per year at the time, with no increase since then. I was just playing Devil's Advocate. :devilish

Reactions: ChadT41
That is true. In fact, the price increase I mentioned was the first and only price increase since the package was introduced five years prior to that, in 2008. That is an average of a $1 per month increase per year at the time, with no increase since then. I was just playing Devil's Advocate. :devilish
I understand, and I got your point as well, hell I even do the same thing sometimes. It was just in this case, they really are not in the wrong, considering the Welcome pack cannot be too profitable. I think it leads Dish as the more Socially Reponsible company, having not just one, but two packages that allow almost ANYONE to continue linear service. There is always the cord cutting option, but to the ones that cannot afford the welcome pack, likely cannot afford the required internet connection for seamless cord cutting.

Reactions: fhsucade07
I agree, if they do it on January 17, 2016. That is the day price increases are announced, and will offer an opportunity to right size a customer who doesn't want to pay increases and is still in contract.
I could of sworn they announced those late Nov/Dec but i may be wrong. It sure would be nice to see a lil in advance what my bill is going to end up being in Feb!

Well, Dish did increase the cost of Welcome Pack by $5 per month three years ago, from $14.99 to $19.99, which was supposedly because of the new AMC contract.

Are you SURE that was the reason...I thought it was because previously the WP did NOT include local channels f/$15. When they increased it to $20, they then forced ALL WP subs to take locals; at the same time, they stopped offering their locals-only pkg that was like $10/month & those subs were forced to go WP if they still wanted locals. (I was previously in that situation, which is how I remember it...)

I don't remember it having anything to do with AMC, at least not said to be by DISH. Some here may have speculated it did? I see posts from back then at places like Slickdeals and Fatwallet that indicate locals were not included, but at $9.99 at one time, and $14.99 with locals. I was thinking it went up after the two years of no package increases. I believe it was raised to $20 in 2013?

I don't remember it having anything to do with AMC, at least not said to be by DISH. Some here may have speculated it did?
Yes, that is why I mentioned it here.

Are you SURE that was the reason...I thought it was because previously the WP did NOT include local channels f/$15. When they increased it to $20, they then forced ALL WP subs to take locals; at the same time, they stopped offering their locals-only pkg that was like $10/month & those subs were forced to go WP if they still wanted locals. (I was previously in that situation, which is how I remember it...)
I was also in that situation. (Locals-only subscriber forced to switch to Welcome Pack.)

...locals were not included, but at $9.99 at one time, and $14.99 with locals.
That is correct. Locals-only and Welcome Pack were each $9.99 per month, or $14.99 per month bundled together.

I was thinking it went up after the two years of no package increases. I believe it was raised to $20 in 2013?
Yes, 2013 is when Welcome Pack increased to $19.99, after five years with no increase, other than the forced bundling situation that dishrich mentioned.

Reactions: Tampa8
I don't remember it having anything to do with AMC, at least not said to be by DISH. Some here may have speculated it did?

There was the AMC dispute 2 or 3 years ago and Dish gave out free Roku LTs and credit to make up for the loss of AMC to those that complained including to Welcome pack subs. After AMC settled the dispute with Dish the channel was put into free preview mode for awhile but never returned to the Welcome pack again after that, during the dispute they added HDnet movies also possibly HDnet kids but after that only HDnet remained now called AXS or whatever.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
There was the AMC dispute 2 or 3 years ago and Dish gave out free Roku LTs and credit to make up for the loss of AMC to those that complained including to Welcome pack subs. After AMC settled the dispute with Dish the channel was put into free preview mode for awhile but never returned to the Welcome pack again after that, during the dispute they added HDnet movies also possibly HDnet kids but after that only HDnet remained now called AXS or whatever.
They also had a major error where WP customers had the free preview of AMC for over a year. It was finally caught and fixed. The preview started immediately following the channels return.

I have the same findings:
Bloomberg Television HD
Comedy Central HD
CMT HD
Discovery Family HD
Dish Studio HD (Channel 102)
Hallmark Channel HD
WE TV HD
The Weather Channel HD

AXS TV HD has been unofficially included but is technically in free preview mode.

Yes, even at my advancing age I remember it well. :) What I don't remember is the package price rising based on AMC. In fact what do remember is what Chat41 posted.

I have the same findings:
Bloomberg Television HD
Comedy Central HD
CMT HD
Discovery Family HD
Dish Studio HD (Channel 102)
Hallmark Channel HD
WE TV HD
The Weather Channel HD

AXS TV HD has been unofficially included but is technically in free preview mode.
Does that cover all the channels that can be hd in that pack? Are there any that don't have hd feeds that could be?

Actually, the Welcome package price is so low, so Dish can advertise that they have a lower price than Direct or cable. Just look at all their adds in the mail and newspaper. Starting at just $19.99, so $24.99 would not sounds as good.

Actually, the Welcome package price is so low, so Dish can advertise that they have a lower price than Direct or cable. Just look at all their adds in the mail and newspaper. Starting at just $19.99, so $24.99 would not sounds as good.
Didn't Directv always have hd feeds in their comparable Welcome pack or lowest programming pack ?

Didn't Directv always have hd feeds in their comparable Welcome pack or lowest programming pack ?

I may be incorrect, but isn't DirecTV's price $29.99 for the Family Package? I also believe there is a $10 HD fee, and now I think DirecTV charges for even the base receiver.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts