HD For Life Without Commitment/$100?

rrmills

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 5, 2007
I was helping my dad get set with the free HD for life promotion by doing the 24-month commitment. I went online on his account to do so, and saw that he was listed as having HD platinum for $10/month and already being signed up for HD free for life. I removed the platinum pack, and it still shows him as being signed up for HD free for life, even though I didn't select a 24-month commitment or to pay $100. Is this normal?

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Was your dad already subscribing to HD and HD Platinum? If so he was grandfathered into the new promotion and does not need to do anything else. By dropping the Platinum HD package you just saved him $10 a month and he still gets the regular HD channels.

rrmills

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 5, 2007
Was your dad already subscribing to HD and HD Platinum? If so he was grandfathered into the new promotion and does not need to do anything else. By dropping the Platinum HD package you just saved him $10 a month and he still gets the regular HD channels.

Cool - and good deal. Thanks for the info.

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Epix

I was helping my dad get set with the free HD for life promotion by doing the 24-month commitment. I went online on his account to do so, and saw that he was listed as having HD platinum for $10/month and already being signed up for HD free for life. I removed the platinum pack, and it still shows him as being signed up for HD free for life, even though I didn't select a 24-month commitment or to pay $100. Is this normal?

Hope it didn't watch Epix. It's in the Plat HD.

dissident

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 11, 2009
SD
I suspect they will eventually not offer these 'american hd' packages period, and they will go the way of HD absolute, and they won't even mention anything about 'free hd' it will just be included in the base price of a package.

Hopefully they eventually get rid of the SD feeds and free up the bandwidth too. :) SD tvs can still view the HD feeds.. no real need for 2.

These promotions seems to go in 3-6 month intervals so I expect this to happen this year. :)

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
I agree. I would think they could go strictly HD and carry the channels that only come in SD. This would only make sense to me.

nsafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 7, 2004
Denver,Co
I suspect they will eventually not offer these 'american hd' packages period, and they will go the way of HD absolute, and they won't even mention anything about 'free hd' it will just be included in the base price of a package.

Hopefully they eventually get rid of the SD feeds and free up the bandwidth too. :) SD tvs can still view the HD feeds.. no real need for 2.

These promotions seems to go in 3-6 month intervals so I expect this to happen this year. :)

Thing is not all SD receivers can view the HD feeds since the majority of them are now in MPEG4. So in order to do what you propose they'd have to swap everybody over to an MPEG4 capable receiver. I'm not saying that this won't happen but it's not going to happen all at once. Dish will likely stagger out the switchover from MPEG2 to MPEG4 and do it gradually, likely starting with the premiums and working their way down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)