HD Install Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
Sorry for asking but I have a few questions about swapping from E* to D*. Im a former E* tech, self installed everything, but have never messed with Direct at all. I am confident in installing a slimline.

Thinking of going to Direct and signing up for the Plus HD DVR package. Have 1 HD and 1 SD televisions to hookup. I have OTA already setup so I would really like a HR20. Few questions about this that I have not been able to find-

1. How can I get away with a self install? I do not want a contract or a tech at my house. My distribution network is too confusing. I have seen the slimline and HR20 on ebay and other places. If I purchase a HR20 from solid signal for example is that still a leased receiver?

How can I purchase a receiver outright? Then sign up as a customer with everything installed?

2. Do the receivers need a phone line connected? I have broadband available but no phone line. Is this required still?

3. I know Direct does not use dual tuner models, at least not with a tv2 backfeed. Are any of the remotes UHF so you could feed them to another television?

Thanks!!

1. No matter where you get your receiver it will be considered a lease. Unless you pay full retail and can prove it. MSRP is like 500 or 600 I think. A self install will only occur if you DO NOT obtain the equipment from DirecTV. Some have been able to do that and get an equal credit foir the cost of the equipment only. YMMV.

2. No phone line is required unless you want PPV and CID. Some say you need it for the sports packages but I don;t think that is the case any longer.

3. Sorry...can't help w/ that one.

Some of the newer DVR's have RF remotes I think...you could also get an RF universal remote.

I think you can install your own D* if you get all the receivers at a lease fee from Best Buy or the like, as well as the dish. However, they're still D* leases and you're still under contract.

That explains why the prices are only a couple hundred dollars for HR20's at Costco and best buy.

So even the ones on ebay are a lease I take it? They must make you agree to a contract before activation?

One more thing. I know the one dvr fee applies to all the dvrs, but what is the fee for each receiver after the first?

Thanks for the info guys!

They call it a lease fee. It used to be called a mirror fee. Either way it is 4.99 per for every receiver after the primary.

Be careful w/ Ebay. You need to get the RID number and call DirecTV and make sure the receiver is "clean" As in it is not on a deliquent account and has been or is deactivated. You will play hell getting them to activate if it's not clean. Somehave gotten stuck w/ a receiver that they could not activate.

Your best bet it to go the Costco route for 169.

Yes, when activated the CSR s supposed to inform you that you will be under a 2 year committ.

Good Luck.

Yeah went over to Costco tonight. They had a HR21-700 for $199. Turn it over and a big red sticker says that its a lease and DirectTV owns the box. Good to know. Looks like this deal is a no go then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts