HD Lipsync issues

It is still awful. Either History channel or Dish has to get their act together and put in audio delay. These units are available off-shelf, and NO-ONE, in their right mind, would put together a HD encode or decode package without AUDIO STORES in the circuit. In our plant, every video delay is married with a data cable, to an audio store to keep lip sync in, no matter how complicated the video delay might be. And the audio has course and fine manual delay modes. It isn't anything new to the trade. Yikes.

HISTORY HD IS NOT VIEWABLE WITH THE LIP SYNC ISSUE:(

Yes i am also getting unwatchable audio sync problems mostly on NTGEOHD SCIHD HISTHD by at least 1 sec.Happens about 98% of the time really gets me mad these are by far my favorite HD channels.

i'm having the same issues on Nat Geo HD - sent an email and got a reply within 24 hours asking for more details ... so someone - somewhere - is at least looking as though they care.

All seemed to be fine here for a few days, but yesterday I noticed the lip sync issue creeping back into the channels you mentioned, and including Showtime & some of the Voom channels. History HD seems to be in sync right now (although I still don't understand the 16:9 stretched material). I also sent an email to dishquality@echostar.com and while the reply came a week later, it was very thorough and was also asking for more detail.

Lip-sync problems are caused by the people on the channel not being able to hear the audio, so they can't get the sound with their lip movements.

Drives me nuts that it both jumps from channel to channel and is sometimes present and sometimes...NOT! Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense!

Drives me nuts that it both jumps from channel to channel and is sometimes present and sometimes...NOT! Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense!

That's exactly what the pattern has been for me. "Dish Quality" emailed me asking for more detailed info, but how I can I properly reply when the pattern is so inconsistant? I'm really surprised many more people haven't noticed this issue or at least complained about it.

im also having this problem. i just got dish network tv today and i have the VIP 722 connected to my tv with a HDMI wire.. it sounds good when i have the vip 722 connected to the surround sound.. only the tv is behind.. hmmmm.

This is strange but true. I swear.

Yesterday morning I happened by my local ABC station and someone had flipped the wrong switch and there was a video of a hand holding a slate/clapper thing. That's the blackboard with the two sticks on top that movie studios use to sync picture and sound on each take. This guy was just continually clapping the sticks together and making the "clack" sound. On the slate was written: Location: ABC engnr lab Take: 3, Sound: yup, date: 2-9-99, Director: shutter KJM, cameraman: LIP SYNC.

After 10 or so claps the picture switched to a tone and color bars with "ABC TTF facility" and "-20dbf Source 4:3 525 VALID (Video Audio Lineup & ID)" in the middle. Then it switched to a nice looking news reader-lady who started speaking by saying:

"This segment is for ABC stations to verify lip sync and should not be broadcast"

Then she started reading a fictional news story that began:
"Looks a banana grower has admitted it has ties to terror. Pleading guilty to doing business with terrorists the banana company has settled with the federal government. In federal court the grower pleaded guilty...." and so one for a minute or so.

Cracked me up but the point is that in September of 2007 ABC (or at least it's San Diego affiliate) is having a problem with HD lipsync.

I think HD lipsync IS rocket science so give Dish a break.

It was really bad last night on ABC.My wife was watching 'Boston Legal' and complained to me about it for the whole hour. Like I could do something about it!

Then she started reading a fictional news story that began:
"Looks a banana grower has admitted it has ties to terror. Pleading guilty to doing business with terrorists the banana company has settled with the federal government. In federal court the grower pleaded guilty...." and so one for a minute or so.

Cracked me up but the point is that in September of 2007 ABC (or at least it's San Diego affiliate) is having a problem with HD lipsync.

I'm not sure that was fictional, just old news: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,297106,00.html

It was really bad last night on ABC.My wife was watching 'Boston Legal' and complained to me about it for the whole hour. Like I could do something about it!

I didn't notice any audio sync problems with Boston Legal last night. However, our local ABC station kept popping it into SD so that they could put up a news crawl with breaking news.

I didn't notice any audio sync problems with Boston Legal last night. However, our local ABC station kept popping it into SD so that they could put up a news crawl with breaking news.

Were you watching OTA or sat?We were watching off the sat.

Interesting comments in re: the lip sync issue.

I have had problems for a long time, both with the 622 and now the 722. Receiver set to HD sync. One thing I've noticed, if I ignore the lip sync issue, over several minutes the sync seems to get closer and closer, as if the 722 does in fact have some kind of automatic lip sync-er on board. When it gets fairly close, I can simply ignore it. Since this problem exists with some programming but not all, I just assumed it was a technical transmission problem that Dish couldn't fix at this time.

I'll join you folks and e-mail dish to point out its happening. (But its not as if they don't know--just adding a little customer pressure for what that's worth.)

Regards,
Fitzie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)