HD-Lite Class Action

dslate69 said:
The problem with ALL you guys that would rather have a couple of True-HD channels instead of the heard of HD-Lite channels that we currently have is that you wouldn't be able to agree on which couple to keep.
DISH may be an illutionist by creating HD channels out of thin air without the bandwidth to support it.
But I think its better than DISH being a magician with 2 or 3 really good card tricks. :)

Remember we want DISH to get as many subs as possible to offset cost. And DISH will gain more with more channels than lose to videophiles that critique every pixel. In fact I wonder if DISH has lost any to HD-Lite, you wouldn't think so to read this forum.
I myself would love to see a mass exodus of HD-Liters so the forum could get back to an enthusiast hang-out instead of a place to gripe and complain.

To a certain extend I agree with you but let's for the sake of argument we agree that we can't agree in HD channels. Why doesn't E* or D* call the HD Lite channels enhanced channels and therefore put them in another category rather than deceiving the public that they are watching HD channels. This way we will be aware what is HD and what is not and no one will be decived. They should also implement another rate for HD Lite channels. But, of course, this is all an illusion because they won't do that. Do you think the programmers will be happy that their channels will be called HD Lite -- a negative conotation.

The problem here is that E* or D* have never made a distinction between what is Real HD and what is not. They are going about it like it is all the same when we all know that it is not. If they make a distinction about it, I do not beleive you will hear anyone complaint but since they do not --they deceive the public.

hi guys

I too am frustrated by seeing low quality HD signals.

While I am not going to read the entire thread I will say this, I think there is a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. HDDVD is now here, and BluRay is here too (sort of). These new HD formats can be stunning. Once the public sees this new high quality HD formats they will be demanding the cable and satellite providers to step up to plate with both equal quality and a greater array of content.

Perhaps I am just dreaming...but I am totally thrilled about the future trends in display techology and content.

Happy viewing!!

Gregg

Sean Mota said:
To a certain extend I agree with you but let's for the sake of argument we agree that we can't agree in HD channels. Why doesn't E* or D* call the HD Lite channels enhanced channels and therefore put them in another category rather than deceiving the public that they are watching HD channels. This way we will be aware what is HD and what is not and no one will be decived. They should also implement another rate for HD Lite channels. But, of course, this is all an illusion because they won't do that. Do you think the programmers will be happy that their channels will be called HD Lite -- a negative conotation.

The problem here is that E* or D* have never made a distinction between what is Real HD and what is not. They are going about it like it is all the same when we all know that it is not. If they make a distinction about it, I do not beleive you will hear anyone complaint but since they do not --they deceive the public.

I agree Mota, Dish should call ther HD channels "Super HD" with no promised specks and lets get it over with.

But you see, Dish is already ahead of the game. If you look at their website, they do not offer to "HD". They offer DishHD which is trademarked.

Gregg Loewen said:
While I am not going to read the entire thread I will say this, I think there is a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. HDDVD is now here, and BluRay is here too (sort of). These new HD formats can be stunning. Once the public sees this new high quality HD formats they will be demanding the cable and satellite providers to step up to plate with both equal quality and a greater array of content.
2 things...
1) Pay your dues, read the whole thread.

2) You are so dreaming it is not funny. I have heard this argument made before and thought it wasn't worth replying to but since I have now read this twice, here is the rebuttal.

How is HD DVD's any different from seeing content pumped to HDTVs at super stores from a hard drive? Or a DISH or DirecTv customer seeing HD at a friends with True-HD on FIOS or Cable or some other HD source. We have all seen and continue to see True-HD. Where is the fist pounding demand for True-HD now ? The same place it will be when HD DVDs get going; on these forums posting in every thread. Don't think for a second when mom and dad and cousin Lou get HDTVs that they will notice a difference between HD-Lite and True-HD.

And for the record you do know how long it is going to take for HD DVDs to make any kind of impact on anything is years and years. About when SATs have plenty of bandwidth and great mpeg4 encoders.

Attachments

• DC2.jpg
    DC2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 142
You're wrong I do care. I would love to have full res/full bandwidth HD and digital locals that didn't unsync every 3 minutes, requiring a channel change to resync. I have an HTPC that has lots of full res HD content, yes I can tell the difference between that and what I get from Dish. The difference is I don't come to an internet forum like Satelliteguys and bitch and moan about the same thing over and over again week in and week out. I can think of better ways to spend my time. If I get that fed up with Dish I have a solution, just like you and everyone else here, I can call them up, say thanks but no thanks and send back the equipment. No one is forcing you to watch substandard HD except for you.

In the end do you honestly think Dish is going to say OK and just start upping bandwidths and reses?? F*ck no!! After all the appeals are worn out and all the extentions are up they will rebrand thier HD to DD 'DishDefinition', same content, same bandwidth, same reses, same everything except no lawsuits. What will you bitch about then Tom??

Tom Bombadil said:
No, because a lot of people like retorq don't care. And as long as a lot of customers are happy with HD-crap, then it saves E* and D* a lot of money on satellite transponders.

Sean Mota,

Perhaps you should reread my post. I am quite familiar with reality. Just because I say how I think things should be does not mean that I live in a fantasy.

foghorn2 said:
Its not deceptive. Dish offers DishHD, not HD at any specific rez or size.

Again deceptive... Is there are an asterik before/after the word "DishHD" explaining what that means? Until there is it is a deceptive way of advertising HD as TRUE HD.

Turboff said:
Sean Mota,

Perhaps you should reread my post. I am quite familiar with reality. Just because I say how I think things should be does not mean that I live in a fantasy.

Then you should have no problem understading that no provider is going to give you something for nothing. In business, you squeeze as much as you can out your customer and give them less for high prices. That's how business is done these days and it is up to consumers to object to less quality and higher prices. That is reality and not fantasy.

dslate69 said:
2 things...
1) Pay your dues, read the whole thread.

2) You are so dreaming it is not funny. <snip>.....

And for the record you do know how long it is going to take for HD DVDs to make any kind of impact on anything is years and years. About when SATs have plenty of bandwidth and great mpeg4 encoders.

Why don't you just take your abrasive drivel somewhere else.

Gentlemen (and any ladies),

I was never a satellite subscriber until VOOM made its debut a few years ago. I am now glad I did as I experienced what true HD can be. I made a decision (with my wallet) when VOOM went dark to resume my Comcast HD contract and so far they have not disappointed me. Do they have the most HD content of any provider? No, but they are moving analog channels to digital and as bandwidth is freed up, they add an additional HD channel to the lineup. When I read that this satellite HD-lite shenanigans has subsided I will signup with the provider who has the highest quality and quantity available.

Dslate69 - I agree that my parents may not see the difference between HD-lite and big-bang HDDVD, however that’s not who this technology and most marketing is geared to. The 20-40 somethings is the next generation of HD viewers and they WILL recognize the difference.

Gregg Loewen – I agree with your views on how BlueRay and HDDVD are going to open viewer’s eyes to HD’s possibilities. The same thing happened with the original DVD format a decade ago, when people saw how clear the DVD’s were over the VHS and analog cable they were used to seeing. This is the reason satellite companies boasted all DIGITAL broadcasting as a perk to switching over.

Companies do no change their habits until they are called out legally. Look at big-tobacco or the on-line gambling sites for a recent education on the subject.

rcbridge said:
Everyone has the power just drop the HD packages and watch how quickly things change!!!

I will definitely drop mine upon contract completion if there is no quality improvement. With very few exceptions, current HD offers don't provide programming to my taste, so, in my case, my choice was quality vs content. Now that the quality is racing downhill, there's little point for me to keep the HD packages much longer.

waltinvt said:
Why don't you just take your abrasive drivel somewhere else.
"If you got something to say, then you should listen to what others say first", was my point and is 100% true. But an emoticon would have made it all better. :rolleyes:
I fail to see truthfullness about HD DVDs not making ANY impact ANY time soon as abrasive. And the fact that I started that point with "you must be dreaming" hardly groups me in company such as yours. :)

foghorn2 said:
Its not deceptive. Dish offers DishHD, not HD at any specific rez or size.

Exactly what are you smoking? Call it what you want but if it doesn't meet the specifications and they don't tell you then their practices ARE deceptive! :mad:

This is great news. Whether or not the lawsuit wins, the negative publicity for the HD Lite providers is worth a fortune.

How long will it be before true HD providers pick up on this and finally start comparing themselves to their lesser competition.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts