HD-Lite Class Action

Atsc Standards

I new to this forum but not others. This is the same as is going on DBS Talks. Here are the ATSC standards as their are now. "HD LITE" is an approved standard. Here is the site to the PDF that all can look at that list all the standards. It will list that there are 3 standards 1080 (both of the 3 have subsets for I & P) and 1 for 720p. The chart 7.3 pg 17 gives the com parsion chart.
http://www.atsc.org/standards/a81.html

whatchel1 said:
I new to this forum but not others. This is the same as is going on DBS Talks. Here are the ATSC standards as their are now. "HD LITE" is an approved standard. Here is the site to the PDF that all can look at that list all the standards. It will list that there are 3 standards 1080 (both of the 3 have subsets for I & P) and 1 for 720p. The chart 7.3 pg 17 gives the com parsion chart.
http://www.atsc.org/standards/a81.html
Yes, the document lists both 1080 x 1280i and 1080 x 1440i as allowable resolutions. But, here's the critical part, it does not define any of the resolutions as HD. It simply lists acceptable resolutions, some of which are also HD (as defined by the ATSC HD standards).

That same document also lists 480 x 352i, and I don't think even the most adamant satellite broadcaster fan will argue that's an acceptable resolution.

Scott

Welcome to the forum, whatchel1!
The company has a right to deliver HD-Lite, if they want to.
But they shouldn't call it HD, if it has only 66% of HD resolution! It's a false advertisement, IMO!

Then what is?

SRW1000 said:
Yes, the document lists both 1080 x 1280i and 1080 x 1440i as allowable resolutions. But, here's the critical part, it does not define any of the resolutions as HD. It simply lists acceptable resolutions, some of which are also HD (as defined by the ATSC HD standards).

That same document also lists 480 x 352i, and I don't think even the most adamant satellite broadcaster fan will argue that's an acceptable resolution.

Scott
So by this statement it is your claim that 720 x 1280 isn't an HD standard and that only 1920 x 1080 is the only viable one? It is my understanding the anything 720 and above is an accepted HDTV standard and everything below is either SD or ED.

whatchel1 said:
So by this statement it is your claim that 720 x 1280 isn't an HD standard and that only 1920 x 1080 is the only viable one? It is my understanding the anything 720 and above is an accepted HDTV standard and everything below is either SD or ED.
According to the ATSC, there are two resolutions defined as HD: 1080 x 1920(p and i) and 720 x 1280p. The source is ATSC A/53E.

So, 720 x 1280p certainly can be labeled as HD. 720 x 1280i cannot.

Scott

Am I mistaken or isn't true that lcd and plasma are native to 720 x 1280P and anything better would not be realized by that type of tv.
Also, as I have copied the entire standards document where does it talk about bit rate as to these formats.

Ota

SRW1000 said:
According to the ATSC, there are two resolutions defined as HD: 1080 x 1920(p and i) and 720 x 1280p. The source is ATSC A/53E.

So, 720 x 1280p certainly can be labeled as HD. 720 x 1280i cannot.

Scott
This is OTA only 6MHZ 8VSB terrestrial only not DBS. The DBS standards is what the document I listed dealt with.
As I look at the forum we are on it is a challenge to D* about them dropping the resolution of the HD that was being downlinked to the customer. What is being stated is that D* started out w/ the highest standard and have now gone to a lower standard. So if D* started out at 1920 x 1080 and now have dropped to either 1440 x 1080 or 1280 x 1080 then the class action should win. If they have not then the lawyers win and get to take the $$ home.

Depends On the TV

dude2 said:
Am I mistaken or isn't true that lcd and plasma are native to 720 x 1280P and anything better would not be realized by that type of tv.
Also, as I have copied the entire standards document where does it talk about bit rate as to these formats.
Some have up to 1080P. The DLP"s are locked in at the top quality of 720 x 1280P.

No. there are now 1080P DLP's. All you have to do is go to BB or CC to find that out.

Those are wobbulated, are they not? Not exactly true 1080, but maybe "close enough" for most.

dslate69 said:
The argument is rather silly, and it is 100% your argument. You guys want 100% True-HD or nothing. Inturpreted as 2 or 3 True-HD channels instead of 30 HD-Lite channels. Because the compromise of superior quality to DVD but slightly lesser quality to True-HD is not good enough for you even though you admit to watching DVDs and even SD black and white movies. That a way to stick to your "quality" argument. :rolleyes:

Speaking of silly arguments... I will state for the record for the 1001th time we would all love 100% quality and 100% quantity. Now back to reality, IT CAN NOT BE DONE, I repeat IT IS IMPOSSIBLE at this moment in time. DISH doesn't have 50 more transponders it is saving for a rainy day, and just giving you HD-Lite to screw with you. Their plan is to give you more quantity at slightly lesser quality. And any of us that watch one of the channels that would disapear if you had your way like their plan better. As DirecTv starts to compete with HD you will see a Quality battle. Until then why are you complaining since you will obvously watch extremely lesser quality DVDs and SD channels and defend their right to exist.

So, do you want to buy my wrinkled "wrinkle-free" pants or not? :D

Dslate, you've got 'em, great job. The fact that they will settle for DVDs while bitching about Dish quality put a nail in the coffin.

whatchel1 said:
This is OTA only 6MHZ 8VSB terrestrial only not DBS. The DBS standards is what the document I listed dealt with.
The DBS standards do not include any HD designations. The reason I referenced the other ATSC document, is that they match Dish's definition of HD (see my earlier posts), and they reference the HD formats contained in A/54A.

Scott

foghorn2 said:
Dslate, you've got 'em, great job. The fact that they will settle for DVDs while bitching about Dish quality put a nail in the coffin.
Nobody is buying or watching DVDs with the expectation that they will be getting HD resolution. People subscribing to HD programming on Dish Or DirecTV are expecting to get actual HD for the money they are paying.

To say that watching a DVD means that resolution is unimportant to the viewer is a poor argument.

Scott

Read super reply thread

YoMamasMan said:
I contend that you, and perhaps some others on this board, who augur to justify the virtues of HD-Lite broadcast are just earning your Echostar stock rewards.

Are you compensated by Echostar?
I'm not and not arguing 1 way or the other I have posted standards. Anyway ppl on this thread should read the thread email posted on the "super reply from Dish". It says that they are not transmitting HD Lite.

Well, I told yeah to read old threads where is a lot of FACTS posted; there you'll find REAL resolution and bandwidth.
It's up to you get the knowledge, but posting like we just start the discussion will not make you more credible here.

I've posted this on the AVS forum, but I thought I'd also post it here.

HDTV

I hope this puts an end to the discussion of what is HD. The video was posted on The Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association website, of which both DirecTV and Dish are represented.

It clearly defines the resolutions for both 720p and 1080i.

Best of all, the file properties show the copyright as DIRECTV 2004.

Please watch it for yourself, and see if they are properly delivering what they claim. If it interests you, you may want to save a copy to your hard drive.

Scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)