HD Lite

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
The only thing I would change or remove is the whole deal over the "16:9" as that is just a measurement / spec of image's aspect ratio and has nothing to do with the DBS's provided resolution or HD specifically. Some movies shown in their OAR (which is always the preferred method) will not be 16:9, but can still be in HD if the resolutions are provided correctly as you mention in your piece.

http://www.high-techproductions.com/widescreen.htm

or

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/home/wsfaq.html

What does Fox and DirecTv have in common? The Fox wizards were the ones saying that Fox 480p High Resolution looked the same as the 720p HD resolution. Remember that debate? Now the same wizards are telling us that 1280x1080i and lower bandwith looks the same as 1920x1080i and higher bandwith. The story repeats... No wonder...

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why this is such a big deal. If everyone hates D*'s HD, then just switch to E*'s HD. (or cable TV, if available).

Don't like then don't buy it!

I'm considering switching from Comcast to DishNetwork, but I'm not even considering D* because of the HDLite. No sweat off my back, I just won't choose D* as my HD provider. Seems like DishNetwork doesn't do any HDLite, as far as I can see. Yeah, those Voom channels aren't 1920x1080i, but they're not on any other provider either at 1920x1080i.

-John

jgantert said:
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why this is such a big deal. If everyone hates D*'s HD, then just switch to E*'s HD. (or cable TV, if available).

Don't like then don't buy it!

I'm considering switching from Comcast to DishNetwork, but I'm not even considering D* because of the HDLite. No sweat off my back, I just won't choose D* as my HD provider. Seems like DishNetwork doesn't do any HDLite, as far as I can see. Yeah, those Voom channels aren't 1920x1080i, but they're not on any other provider either at 1920x1080i.

-John

Dish Network is just as guilty about HD lite.

cablewithaview said:
Dish Network is just as guilty about HD lite.

I agreed about your statement except that DirecTv is doing the following in HD Lite.

HDnet
HDnet Movies
Showtime HD
HBO HD
Discovery HD Theater
Universal HD
All their local channels in mpeg-2 except for CBS (according to someone)
TNT HD
All the 94-98 channels are also HD Lite. So any RSN Sport Event is in HD Lite

Dish Network HD Lite:

All Voom HD Channels (waiting for resolution on this, at least there is hope)
CBS HD (which the resolution is 1440x1080i)
and that's it. I believe.

(someone correct me if I am wrong)

Another big difference is that DirecTv is taking the position that HD Lite is normal and now we are getting responses from CSR that this is the position they are taking. Dish Network has not taking that position yet and there is hope that Dish will go back to full resolution.

Kudos to all of you who continue to fight this worthy cause! As someone stated in the AVS thread, if we accept HD Lite as inevitable then that's all we're ever going to get. There are obviously many "HD" viewers who either don't notice the difference, or don't care. They're entitled to that. For the rest of us who DO see the difference and DO care about it, we can only continue the fight. If every HD provider degrades to HDLite (certainly possible!) then we've lost the battle, and if we don't continue to fight it that's exactly what will happen. As long as there are competitive forces and improving technology, we are well advised to vote with our wallets when we have a choice. I also believe the number of folks demanding true HD will increase as HD penetration increases and owners have the opportunity to see/learn what their equipment is really capable of. Let's continue to make sure that happens!

Again - Keep up the Good Fight...!

Last edited:
I am just glad to see the debate is still going on ...even if just here. We need to keep it alive. I wonder when we will get a fiber date from VOOM or E*. I wonder if it is even real or is it just an excuse hoping that everyone will just go away and accept it.

The FCC certaintly didn't do us any favors in leaving the waters this muddy.

Sean Mota said:
What does Fox and DirecTv have in common? The Fox wizards were the ones saying that Fox 480p High Resolution looked the same as the 720p HD resolution. Remember that debate? Now the same wizards are telling us that 1280x1080i and lower bandwith looks the same as 1920x1080i and higher bandwith. The story repeats... No wonder...
You are SO RIGHT! And when those brain surgeons from FOX were infused into positions at D* the whole downrezzing mess began.

I have DirectTV and was thinking about switching to their HD service around summer time.
Now think'g of going back to cable - digital or even HD cable.

goaliebob99, I'm pissing in the wind I guess with another email to DirecTV. I wonder what there response will be on this.

OK, you defend HD lite, that's a shame. Echostar has announced 4 more HD channels and we are getting HD locals. I think HD locals (I'm sorry HD lite locals) can wait. This is getting to the point of out right shameful. I thought Echostar was awful, but right now, DirecTV is leading the pack. I'm disgusted with this, someone in management needs a fire lite under there ass. No Voom, A&E or THC HD, HGTV or Food HD, INHD 1&2, MHD, NFL Net., Wealth, CBC and City TV Canada HD ?, TOC 2 HD and National Geographic (which is a sister to DirecTV, WTF?). So much to offer but no one has stepped up to the plate and put them on in TRUE HD format. So much to offer but no one has stepped up to the plate and put them on in TRUE HD format. Rethink TV? Rethink management more like it. no excusses, just get the job done. That's all we ask as customers and I do not feel it is to much to ask. thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts