HD/local costs and dish type

newsposter

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
I'm helping someone over the web so dont have all the details (and know zip about dish) but here goes:

I looked on the dish site and it appears for HD locals it's 10 bucks a month regardless of what package you have. Is that correct? I dont know what package they have now and they dont have locals but will that 10 bucks also give them whatever nationals are available in HD and are already in their SD package?

I found a page that listed something like bronze for 10 bucks for 50 channels on sale and it's normally 30 but I find it hard to believe it would be $30 on top of package cost to get HD so i'm sure im mistaken.

Also a dish installed in the late 90s was just replaced so do you think they replaced it with one that can get HD? I know with directv they used to just give you the newer dish even if you dont have HD now.

Yes, you are mistaken. With any of the Classic packages, you add $10.00 to get the HD channels available in said package. If he/she goes with the DVR advantage version of that package, locals are included. Otherwise, locals are $5.00 SD or HD. There would be no additional charge for HD locals as long as they are paying the $10.00 HD charge on any given package.

We need more detail about where your friend lives and what dish they currently have.

Last edited:
philly area and I have no idea which dish they had installed. Will have to find out. Is it written on the front perchance? :)

good to know 10 bucks gets all available HD. No dvrs are used in this setup.

so 5 for locals of any flavor and 10 for all others. Not too bad.

what's the DVR fee?

philly area and I have no idea which dish they had installed. Will have to find out. Is it written on the front perchance? :)

good to know 10 bucks gets all available HD. No dvrs are used in this setup.

so 5 for locals of any flavor and 10 for all others. Not too bad.

what's the DVR fee?
You're still misunderstanding. KAB didn't say that.

It's $5 for locals, whether they be SD or HD. It's an additional $10 for HD Nationals, but you're only getting what corresponds to the SD package you have. If you have the Classic Bronze SD pack, you can't add on HD silver. Platinum HD is another add on which has some premiums.

If you have a HD receiver, and don't sub to HD programming, you're gona get stuck with a DVR fee.

I think he understood as long as he realizes the HD limitations per package.

all available meant all the channels they already have...ambiguous usage i know

so if they decided to get a dvr, i'm assuming the reason locals are free is that there is a 5 dollar fee for the dvr to make that up?

all available meant all the channels they already have...ambiguous usage i know

so if they decided to get a dvr, i'm assuming the reason locals are free is that there is a 5 dollar fee for the dvr to make that up?

No, you're still not on the bulls-eye. DVR or no DVR, locals are $5.00 If they get a DVR, they will pay a DVR fee UNLESS they get DVR Advantage, which is included, as well as locals. Also, I assume you are aware that not all channels in their package have HD counterparts???

jwgreen68 said:
If you have a HD receiver, and don't sub to HD programming, you're gona get stuck with a DVR fee.
These are separate unrelated things.

The penalty for not subscribing to HD programming has gone away, and had nothing to do with DVR.

There is a DVR usage fee of $5.98 for every DVR, discounted to $5/ea under the DVR Advantage bundle with locals, or waived completely with America's Everything Pak (AT250/Gold + all 4 premiums, locals not required).

These are separate unrelated things.

The penalty for not subscribing to HD programming has gone away, and had nothing to do with DVR.

There is a DVR usage fee of $5.98 for every DVR, discounted to $5/ea under the DVR Advantage bundle with locals, or waived completely with America's Everything Pak (AT250/Gold + all 4 premiums, locals not required).
You're right, I was thinking of the HD enabling fee and misfired.

so a 5th grader can understand it how about you give me the following costs

1. adding only SD locals to the current package =

2 adding only HD locals to the current package =

3. adding HD to current package but not getting locals=

4 adding HD locals to current package (which turns on the HD nationals id assume)=

5 adding only HD locals to current package and getting a dvr=

6 adding HD nationals but not locals and getting dvr=

7 adding HD locals and nationals and DVR =

is there any scenario i'm forgetting? And i'm assuming free upgrades to equipment..if not, what would those costs be

did anyone else see an answer here then it disappear? the main board had 901 am answer but now that i got around to check, it's gone

so a 5th grader can understand it how about you give me the following costs

1. adding only SD locals to the current package =

2 adding only HD locals to the current package =

3. adding HD to current package but not getting locals=

4 adding HD locals to current package (which turns on the HD nationals id assume)=

5 adding only HD locals to current package and getting a dvr=

6 adding HD nationals but not locals and getting dvr=

7 adding HD locals and nationals and DVR =

is there any scenario i'm forgetting? And i'm assuming free upgrades to equipment..if not, what would those costs be

1. $5
2. $0 if you already have SD locals and an HD package, otherwise $10 to add HD to an existing Classic package and another $5 if you don't already have SD locals.
3. $10
4. see #2
5. DDA - locals plus DVR, so $10 combined fees.
6. $10 plus $5.98 for the DVR
7. $10 for national HD and $10 combined for locals and DVR.

Why don't you just call and talk to a CSR. Hardware upgrade costs vary depending on the subscriber account and the hardware.

No, you're still not on the bulls-eye. DVR or no DVR, locals are $5.00 If they get a DVR, they will pay a DVR fee UNLESS they get DVR Advantage, which is included, as well as locals. Also, I assume you are aware that not all channels in their package have HD counterparts???

Of course if you get a VIP211 and add the external hard drive and pay $40 to activate you don't have to pay any DVR fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)