HD Locals in 4x3 aspect

grecni

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
I just had a ViP622 installed. If have a normal tube HD TV, using 4x3 aspect. When I view the HD channells in the 9420+ range, these channels are displayed with a 9x6 format using letter box but when I view the locals (6300,6301,6302,6303), these channells are displayed in a 4x3 aspect within a 9x6 display (black bars on top/bottom/left/right).

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or are my HD local channels being displayed as SD channels?

Thank you.

Your HD locals probably aren't showing anything in HD/Widescreen. They are probably upconverting SD programming at the time. Wait until primetime tonight and you will probably see them in the widescreen format.

I have a 4X3 HD CRT as well. when the locals aren't broadcasting an HD program I just press the format button (bottom left) on the remote to full zoom and it fills the screen perfectly. I think it still looks better than the SD feed. I then go back to letterbox when watching an HD program.

It is all about personal preference. I don't like it when shows are stretched or zoomed. I prefer the black bars. Kust try it both ways and you'll develop a preference pretty soon.

Thank you for the responses

My thanks for the responses. I had not thought about not all locals channels being in HD and did not know about the format button. I appreciate the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts