HD Locals in San Antonio

I think it is DISH's fault also but they denied that they are getting KABB's signal from OTA. I know KABB told me different so I dont know who to believe. Since all the HD locals come on the same transponder and spotbeam to us it is hard to figure why the ABC and CBS feeds look good. If DISH gets them all by OTA then why wouldnt the ABC and CBS feeds look bad. I was told that each feed goes thru some sort of receiver and then sent to us by DISH so maybe the one sending us KABB is bad. The one tech I spoke with at DISH did say that was a possibility. I also called DISH again to inquire about the status and they had nothing to tell me other than they are aware and that it has been submitted to engineering as an uncommon problem (whatever that means). I dont think it takes a genius to figure out that this is and uplink problem. Either the way KABB sends the signal to DISH is bad or the way DISH is sending it to us has a problem. I just dont understand why it would take so long for either of them to figure it out. Dendox have you heard from that KABB guy?

Last edited:
I spoke on the phone with the KABB Director of Engineering over a month ago when I noticed this problem. He was very pleasant to speak with, and VERY knowledgeable. (Ironically, I still can't speak to the engineering dept. at DISH, and this is who get my $$)

David explained about 5-6 different possible issues that could result in poor image quality for one local station, even though they are all coming off the same DISH transponder. It is impossible for him to diagnose the problem b/c he does not work for DISH. He does not know everything about DISH's equipment. Originally, DISH had me convinced that is was KABB's fault because they would say, "All of your HD locals are broadcast over the SAME transponder, and if KABB is the only station with poor picture quality, then it must be KABB." This logic is not 100% true and accurate.

I can not remember all of the possible sceneraios that could exist for poor picture quality b/c this conversation took place over a month ago.

However, if there are 3 local HD feeds currently offered by DISH and they are only re-broadcasting the OTA feed, then we would need to know...

1. Is DISH using one antenna to pick up ALL of the HD locals, or 3 seperate OTA antennas? If they are using one antenna, then it is possibe to have better reception on ABC and CBS. garbage in = garbage out
2. Are they uplinking all 3 HD locals the exact same way?

It sounds like they are sending the signals identically from outer space, but what happens to the signal before it gets there that makes them different?

I am watching the Texas and Nebraska game on KSAT 6426 ABC HD and it is doing the same thing that KABB is doing now. Anyone else see it. This proves it is a DISH problem and it is complete B.S. If they are goin to offer HD locals then they should do it right. I am calling again this afternoon and if they don't pull their head out of their butt soon and fix it it I am going to do what I can to get out of my contract and go to D* or back to TWC. This is beyond ridiculous.

THe ABC HD has semmed to clear up in the second half of the game. I called DISH again and reported everything. The lady I talked to said it looked like they thought the problem had been resolved which is just unbelievable. She is sending a report out now to 2 different deptartments about this issue. She was very nice and helpful but I have heard that before. She did know I was pretty pissed and that it had been going on now for 2 months or so. Dendox, I have heard nothing from KABB guy.

I just heard from the KABB guy and he confirmed again that DISH is getting there HD feed by OTA as are every other SAT and Cable company. He told me he would contact DISH again to check their progress on the problem. He also said we should continue to call and complain. I also wonder what D* KABB HD signal looks like here since they are getting it OTA also. So, I guess we keep calling DISH and complaining. The KABB guy did tell me he would let me know what he finds out from DISH. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
I heard back from the KABB guy and he essentially told me what he told you. The Neb UT game was awful in the first half. My wife drug me away in the second half (thank god or I would have to buy a new TV - way tooo stressful).

Anyway, I think all the locals in HD look like total sh*t. It boggles my mind that I chose Dish at the time because of them having the locals in HD when I wanted D*. I was told D* wouldn't have the locals for months and I didn't want to go OTA so I went with E*. Now, I use an OTA antenna and have a pissed off demeanor because of E* quality.

I am calling tomorrow when I am a little more level headed. I can't believe I am paying for this crap.

I agree with you. If I could get out of that 18 month commit and go to D* I would. All I know is I am going to complain till they fix it it and if they dont then I will go with D* or back to TWC when that 18 months is up. It is a shame too because I love the DISH DVR compared to TWC and I love all the rest of the HD. I am still holding out hope they will do right by us on the HD locals. It is also hard to fathom that this would be the only market with a problem with the HD locals.

Has anyone called DISH or heard anything new about the problem on KABB (FOX)channel 6429. I called last week again. I also have not heard back from the guy at KABB. FOX still looks terrible to me and I am getting the impression DISH does not give a crap about the problem.

I haven't heard back from FOX guy in about two weeks. He sais he was traveling a lot at the time.

I agree about the quality and your assessment of DISH's attitude. I know they have a lot going on, but if they won't provide what I am paying for I should be allowed out of my contract.

I am getting really agitated with the whole situation. I am glad I have an OTA ant - but I shouldn't have to.

Ugh, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I got dish, and had it hooked up specifically for the Thanksgiving day Dallas game. I invited a bunch of friends over to watch the game in "HD", only to have the game look like utter and complete crap, and with me sitting there without an explanation. With the horrible pixelation on KABB, especially during the Cowboy's games, it is actually worse than SD! What pisses me off even more is finding this thread, and seeing that this has been a problem for months. :mad:

If you are still under 30 days then I would switch to DirectTv. Had I have known it would still be a problem on KABB I would have done the same. Also, Direct has WOAI HD which DISH still does not. If you stick with DISH then please call them and email ceo@echostar.com as well as dishquality@echostar.com. We have done this and hopefully the more times we do the quicker it will get fixed. Of course I have been hoping for that now for 4 months.

I am still within 30 days. I didn't sign up for the 18 month contract, I'm going month to month, so canceling later on down the road shouldn't be a problem. The question is: if I cancel within 30 days will I get a refund on the $250 HD DVR upgrade fee?

I recently dropped a couple hundred on a Tivo series 2 dual tuner, but after I bought my HDTV and since my cable company offers zero HD locals, I signed up for dish, and dropped $250 on the hd dvr lease upgrade. The wife will kill me if I lose the 250 on the receiver, and try to switch to Directv after having already sunk some cash into the Tivo.

I do not know for sure whether DISH will give you your money back on the 622 DVR. I would guess they would within the 30 day period but I would just call them.

KABB is fixed

I noticed KABB looked clear last night and again tonight. I think they finally have fixed it and I cant believe it. Now if DISH would only get WOAI in HD.

finally looking good for me. Can't believe they actually did it.

I drafted them a very stern letter about how they were hosing us on this and hosing me on my $20 rebate each month (getting only $10 and a hell of a runaround), the fee for not having a phone line connected (when they refused to do it on the install). I threatened lots of stuff I shouldn't have, but I was tired of them ignoring me and not treating me, the customer, like they cared about my money. I seriously doubt that letter had much to do with it - but it could.

Either way, it looks better now - and that is a good thing.

Woai Hd

Anybody have any info on what the big hold up is on WOAI HD being added to our locals in HD. It looks like from the D* website that they have it. I just don't understand why a free network is so hard to come to an agreement with. If DISH got KABB with all the problems they are having with TWC then why cant DISH get WOAI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)