HD Locals in San Antonio

I emailed laslo on Sunday, but with no response. I guess they do not have any new information to tell me. We all must keep calling or else they will think the problem is resolved.

I agree playmaker. I will let you know if Laslo emails me back after what I sent him yesterday. Why dont you email him again. They seem to act like they have not heard about this issue or it is isolated. I cant believe other DISH HD customers in SA have not complained about KABB because it so obviously much worse than the other local HD feeds on DISH.

I got an email back from Laslo. He just thanked me for all the answers I gave to his questions. We will see what happens next. He has been good about emailing me. I will keep you posted.

I have not gotten a response from ceo@echostar and I emailed them last week. I did however get a response from the tech support tell me they notice that I have a home visit set up and that they were now through with my ticket. If I have any new problems they would be happy to start a new ticket.

That is all fine and well, but the house call is set for something completely different (wireless phone jacks because the sales person flat out lied to me about the installer putting them in originally). I love being lied to - DTPA violation and lawsuit waiting to happen. sorry for the tangent - still chaps my a**.

I replied telling them that the service call was not for the same issue and gave them more feedback, directed them to this thread, told them that KABB is working fine and that the problem is obviously on their end (told them why I think that) and told them that they were the worst customer service oriented people I have dealt with this side of Sprint.

I did say all of this in a polite manner and asked for further assistance. We will see what kind of response I get. I did talk to dish on the phone yesterday for the fourth time in two weeks. Funny thing is - they said no one else is complaing about this problem. There is no indicatin that KABB is a problem channel for anyone else and that she would be happy to start a ticket on it.

I guess one day we may actually get what we pay for - sure hope that day comes sooner rather than later. I for one am not too happy pissing away money.

I guess I will try to send another email to ceo@echostar.com - see how that goes.

good luck guys.

oh - and if you could post the guys email address that you have been in contact with and I will try to email him directly - that would be great.

David.Laslo@echostar.com

I have called over 10 times, and emailed about 6 times. Everytime, they act like it is the first time I have called, and I am the only one that has ever complained about it. Secondly, I do know that the engineering department at KABB has also formally complained.

I got the TERK HDTVA like you dendox. It does look better than the DISH feed. However, I dont think FOX HD looks as good as ABC, CBS, or WOAI HD. The only difference I see on the KABB feed is all the static, fuzziness, and artifacts that I dont see in the OTA. The KABB feed is clearer but not a big WOW effect over DISH. If DISH can just clear up the static and artifacts I think the KABB signal will look just about as good as OTA. That is a big if as of right now. I was comparing the FOX Baseball game today so maybe I will see a bigger difference tomorrow during the FOX NFL games. I emailed Laslo back again late Thursday night and have not gotten a reply as of yet. I will also call DISH again. Keep you posted.

Last edited:
I called DISH again and the guy I talked to told me that they are actually aware of the issue with KABB HD signal. He told me however they do not get the feed directly from OTA. He said they are aware of the problem and it is being looked in to. They do not know if is there fault or something on the KABB side. I am not sure who to believe. He did say they are addressing the issue and it would be resolved by them or by KABB if it is the way they are sending the signal to DISH. He just said they do not know exactly what the problem is at this time. This guy was very helpful and also set me up with a service call because I told him I was having problems with SAT 129 signal strength. He said my signals were too low and that I might need for them to get me a wing to 61.5 or 2 Dishes. He said there is a problem with getting 129 in SA. He said the minimum signal off 129 should be 70 on all transponders and they would prefer more than that. I am getting in the 50's and 60's on some transponders on 129. Just a little extra info.

Last edited:
Speaking of weak signals, does anyone have their picture go out when it rains? I constantly lose my picture when it rains. It is really starting to piss me off!!

I lived in Housotn for 8 years and had Direct TV, and it raind 10 times as much there. I lost my signal maybe 3 times over 8 years during the rain. It basically had to be a tropical storm to lose the signal.

I think the Fox looks WAYYYY better OTA (but that may just be because of my setup). I do think the baseball games look crappy in general on fox. I have a technical call set up next week and I will have them looking at those things too.

BTW - with the rain - I do lose signal, but only for a few seconds. I am not sure which channels ar on which satellite. Is there a link to that somewhere? Which channels are on 129?

I sure am glad I have you guys to talk to about this.

After watching the NFL games Sunday I could tell a big difference in the OTA but it still is just the fact that the DISH feed has all that static and artifacts. LIke I said in an earlier post DISH finally admitted to me others have let them know about the problem and it will be fixed. Who knows when though. Sat 129 has most of the HD content I get. It has all the VOOM channels and some others like ESPN 2 HD, NTG HD, Food HD, etc. Just go to the point dish screen ( hit menu then 6-1-1) and it will show you what SAT the channel is on and what transponder as well as the signal you are getting.

Last edited:
I had a tech come out and he saw the problem with KABB's HD signal but of course could do nothing about it. he talked to his local boss who said it most likely is an uplink problem from KABB. I get different answers from KABB and DISH so I dont know who knows what they are talking about. I also emailed David Laslo twice last week to inquire about the status of the problem and he has yet to email me back. I think I have heard the last from him. I am now really pissed and will call KABB and DISH back again this week. Also, does anyone ever see pixelation on ABC HD. I see it every once in a while and wonder if all this is related somehow to the HD Locals from DISH.

Last edited:
If it does not get fixed then DISH will lose my business and I will eventually go back to TWC or DirectTV. That is when TWC and DirectTV get more HD and also have HD locals that look like they should. The OTA solution is not a good long term one for me because it is difficult to run it to 3 HDTV's in my house. I of course am stuck with DISH for another 16 months because of the 18 month commit. Also, Dendox who did you talk to at KABB that told you to let him know if the signal had not improved and have you contacted him.

Last edited:
I have not contacted him as I have been out of town. Just got back in town yesterday and will send him a message today. His name is David Ostmo and he has been very friendly and knowledgeable (or so it seems to me).

He did get pissed when I posted the content of one of his emails to me on this site so I am going to ask for his permission to post his email address before I do so. Don't want to slow down my lines of communication to him just yet. If he gives the all clear I will post his email address.

I believe the problem exists on DISH's side. DISH gets the KABB HD feed from OTA, but gets the SD feed from a direct link of some sort. I recently purchased an OTA antenna, and the quality is 100% perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts