HD Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

btmccain

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
Arab, AL
Does anyone know why HD locals via DIRECTV are offered in one county, but not another even with it being the same market? The non-HD locals come through regardless of county. It seems to me that all customer's dishes are reading the same satellites.

Likely a zip coded database issue; them not receiving a completely accurate zip code list from the DMA in question. What is the service zip code in question?

It appears the Arab. AL is in one of those odd, closely bunched, multi-DMA areas. Very zip dependent. Being in that great mulit-DMA situation; I would definitely have an OTA antenna connected! What did DirecTV have to say about it? If you have not called them yet; you likely will NOT get any real answer from a regular phone CSR as they are not trained on this and it is likely not in their scripts.

Marshall and Morgan are in the Huntsville DMA.

Blount & Cullman are in the Birmingham DMA

Last edited:
I have an HR20 receiver and an outside antenna, but the OTA tuner is not activated on the receiver. Wouldn't be a big deal, but not watching football on the major networks in HD on the weekends stinks. I have another address in zip code 35053 that I live at some during the week that I was thinking about using. They get Birmingham locals in HD. I'm in Cullman County in Arab, AL and get regular Birmingham locals. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If I change my physical address and DIRECTV accepts it, is there any reason why my dish wouldn't receive the Birmingham HD locals?

not trying to steal threads...but i have an h20 and the at9 dish, not in the receiver manual it says that it receiver mpeg2 signals, but on one of the spaceways it says that locals for nashville are broadcasted in mpeg4, so is the h20 an mpeg2, mpeg4 box or just mpeg2?

thanks

btmccain said:
If I change my physical address and DIRECTV accepts it, is there any reason why my dish wouldn't receive the Birmingham HD locals?

You should only need to change your service address; not the billing address. If that new address is yours (you can receive mail there) then it won't matter either way because its your property too.

btmccain said:
I have an HR20 receiver and an outside antenna, but the OTA tuner is not activated on the receiver. Wouldn't be a big deal, but not watching football on the major networks in HD on the weekends stinks. I have another address in zip code 35053 that I live at some during the week that I was thinking about using. They get Birmingham locals in HD. I'm in Cullman County in Arab, AL and get regular Birmingham locals. It just doesn't make sense to me.
As long as your not trying to get them OTA yet, you should be fine.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)