HD Net on OTA

Polar

Original poster
May 11, 2004
My ota channel 4 local news has been replaced with HDNet. I thought Voom did not have it.

Obviously it wouldn't be via OTA. Inside Voom is mapped to 8-15 on my receiver, which makes it plausible.

Hey Polar,
What's up? Is it there or what. You post two sentences and then nothing? Was it there? How long did it stay? Come on, if this is a joke it's not funny!

I thought some areas of the country had certain stations like HDNet et al. simulcast from the local tower as OTA. Not many, but a few.

Could be your local affiliate - do you have one that usually broadcasts on 4-1?

Here in the Triangle, our local Fox affiliate (WRAZ) broadcasts HDNet OTA during the day.

Note: this is not the "live" HDNet available on DirecTV and Dish - it's a re-run version. I believe it's the same programming that HDNet broadcasts OTA in Dallas.

I don't live far from Dallas. What OTA broadcast from HDNet are you refering to? What channel is that on?

I heard months ago on AVS that HDnet was going to sell some "older" programming to locals for broadcast OTA. This must be it.

I live in eastern Pennsylvania and my OTA affiliate, WFMZ TV simulcasts HDNET over the air as well. This has nothing to do with Vooms service, as you don't need VOOM to pick up OTA signals. I just so happens you're using the voom receiver to pull down OTA feeds. Voom won't carry HDNET anytime in the near future. :eek:

vurbano said:
I heard months ago on AVS that HDnet was going to sell some "older" programming to locals for broadcast OTA. This must be it.

Vurbano, I have HDNET through highdef cable, and it's OTA with VOOM. It is the EXACT same broadcast. It's not chopped in any way. I'm getting the same thing(although much clearer) OTA, as I can see on cable's HDNET channel. I think local affiliates that aren't up to speed with their own HD broadcasting, beam HDNET's feed through their DTV space the FCC provided them.

I think they use to do something like that here in L.A. I have a memory of being in a Good Guys or the like and seeing HDNET on one of their sets. The sales person told me that it was OTA. I was suspicious at first but when he changed channels, it seemed he was correct. It was a subchannel of some sort. The programming may also have been a loop of some sort - maybe 30 minutes long or so.

deArgila said:
Could be your local affiliate - do you have one that usually broadcasts on 4-1?

Here in the Triangle, our local Fox affiliate (WRAZ) broadcasts HDNet OTA during the day.

Note: this is not the "live" HDNet available on DirecTV and Dish - it's a re-run version. I believe it's the same programming that HDNet broadcasts OTA in Dallas.

HDNET, I believe, is broadcast OTA from the station, which is in Dallas TX. So if your live close, you might be ble to tune it in.

It is in the San Francisco Bay Area on channel 4-1. It is still and has been HDNet since last week.

The local used to be local news KRON. Still listed as local news on the guide.

DragonLips said:
Vurbano, I have HDNET through highdef cable, and it's OTA with VOOM. It is the EXACT same broadcast. It's not chopped in any way. I'm getting the same thing(although much clearer) OTA, as I can see on cable's HDNET channel. I think local affiliates that aren't up to speed with their own HD broadcasting, beam HDNET's feed through their DTV space the FCC provided them.
I'll have to look around AVS for that thread.

I live in Minneapolis area and HDNet shows up on channel 45-2 quite often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)